[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I want to get a small milling machine that can go succesfully
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 6
File: Mini_Milling_Machine.jpg (51 KB, 800x800) Image search: [Google]
Mini_Milling_Machine.jpg
51 KB, 800x800
I want to get a small milling machine that can go succesfully over aluminum and maybe steel if at slow speeds. It has to be monophase and available in Europe. Possibly less than 1000€.

Any ideas guys?
>>
> available in urope
> under 1000 uropean pesos

How small ?
The optimum bf 16 vario seems to fit the bill.
>>
Within those parameters the biggest that can fit in a table and is somehow easy to transport/dissasemble.
Basically not a 3 tones milling machine.
>>
why not just put a milling table on floor drill press?
>>
>>998575
Because the head assembly of drill presses are not made to withstand the large side forces applied when cutting at any angle but vertical.
I'm guessing it has to do with the way the shaft is built and the type of bearings used.
At most, milling through soft plastics is possible on a drill press but you're asking for trouble if you tackle aluminium, let alone steel.
>>
>>998575
>>998578
This, also, most drill presses are on round columns (as well as some milld/drills) which tends to want to swing the table around while you are cutting. It's hard to get adequate clamping force on the round column to prevent this.
>>
I have a warco 1980s mini mill, perfect for at home/benchtop mill, it is very good for small components and modifications but I suggest if you have the space, to get a Bridgeport universal full size mill, you'll find with a mini mill you will struggle for accuracy.
>>
File: 27110.jpg (102 KB, 724x1024) Image search: [Google]
27110.jpg
102 KB, 724x1024
>>998549
If you want to do miniature work, there's the Proxxon MF-70, which is like a rotary tool mounted on a milling machine body. It is tiny, working with it is s-l-o-w, and the head doesn't tilt, but at 7 kg you can transport in a sturdy briefcase.
>>
>>998522
lol get a real mill like a man, FOH with this desktop shit
>>
Cheap and good don't go together. The place to learn your options is hobby machinist forums. This is not one. All OP seeks to know lives there.

You are welcome.
>>
>>999549
Would this be big enough to do 80% lowers?
>>
File: sherline_mill_982743.jpg (16 KB, 468x351) Image search: [Google]
sherline_mill_982743.jpg
16 KB, 468x351
>>998522
>>
File: taig_mill_90354.jpg (69 KB, 279x400) Image search: [Google]
taig_mill_90354.jpg
69 KB, 279x400
>>998522
>>
>>998522
http://www.axminster.co.uk/machinery/milling-machines

Smaller machines near bottom of page.
>>
>>1000894
It isn't good for anything bigger than a few centimetres. It's cool for making small toys, though.
>>
>>1000894
Hang out on AR forums. This isn't one. Everybody and his brother dreams of mass-producing lowers and there's at least one gent who sells jigs so a shitbox drill press will get it done.

All gunsmith questions are amply answered on gun forums.
>>
For doing a AR you'd really want to put out the $800-1000 for a proper benchtop mini-mill or mill/drill like Little Machine Shop or Grizzly sells and proper vices and such.

http://littlemachineshop.com/products/product_view.php?ProductID=3990
http://www.grizzly.com/products/Mill-Drill/G0758
>>
>>998522
I was looking as getting a small lathe and/or mill to make things like lightsaber hilts but not sure how small i could go while being able to do that.
>>
>>1001999
Just to be comfortable, and if there are no additional constraints, I'd aim for a lathe with a swing of twice the size of the things I'd typically make with it.
>>
>>1003512
alright so ill need something with around 3" of swing. Any suggestions?
>>
File: mill.jpg (69 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
mill.jpg
69 KB, 640x480
>>
>>1000926

Do NOT fall for the sherline meme

I repeat, do NOT fall for this meme
>>
>>999549
I started with a self converted MF70 but the working area was very restrictive so I eventually got a Taig like the one in this post.
>>1000927
I've got one a Taig now and made many things with it mostly in plastic including 8mm dia acetal gears with a 0.8mm cutting bit.
I avoid cutting metal as I have it in my house and the coolant makes a mess.
>>
>>1003846
agreed. Nicely made but too lightweight for any kind of metal, no matter how slow you go.
>>
>>1004028
Jesus, this company has the ugliest website I have ever seen.
>>
I've been looking at something like this http://littlemachineshop.com/products/product_view.php?ProductID=3990&category=1387807683 or maybe the larger one for $1500. Would need a rotary table as i need to be able to do circles, any suggestions? Also what accessories and bits should i get to go with it?
>>
File: minimill.png (100 KB, 287x462) Image search: [Google]
minimill.png
100 KB, 287x462
>>1004830
forgot pic
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.