[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So I'm doing some ghetto carbon layup and I need a way to
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1
File: 51c4We4eUfL.jpg (33 KB, 500x420) Image search: [Google]
51c4We4eUfL.jpg
33 KB, 500x420
So I'm doing some ghetto carbon layup and I need a way to get a vacuum going on the bag that holds all the resin and parts in the mold. (Creates an optimal carbon to resin ratio and reduces waste)

With that being said.. I'm not looking to drop a few hundred on a dedicated vacuum puller like picture related. I've seen a few other methods, like a venturi system hooked up to an air compressor, but I'd also have to buy an air compressor from harbor freight or the likes. (Which means, more money spent)

So any suggestions?

>No I won't steal my mother's vacuuum
>>
>>998400

I have a simple vacuum pump intended for HVAC applications. Was like $60 off eBay. Works great for resin/silicone casting.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Single-Stage-3CFM-1-4HP-Rotary-Vane-Deep-Vacuum-Pump-HVAC-AC-Air-tool-R134-R410a-/181731383885?hash=item2a5008da4d:g:zeEAAOxymmJTkZXN

Appears to be essentially identical to mine.
>>
>>998405

Guess I'll bite the bullet then.

>this shit is expensive, but oh so cool
>>
>>998405
Show us some of your work dude.

I've done loads of fibreglass in but never used a vacuum system
>>
>>998400
>No I won't steal my mother's vacuum

Get down to the local Goodwill and pick one up for a few bucks.

A vacuum cleaner has the advantage over one of these pumps in that it can handle a few small air leaks and still pull a decent vacuum.
>>
>>998400
what is the reason that you don't want to use a vacuum cleaner?
>>
>>998400
Have you considered a water aspirator? It won't pull high vacuum but it's relatively cheap and easy.
>>
>>998591

You need a fairly high vacuum to do this stuff. It's best to go with the tried and true setups.
>>
>>998412
>expensive
Try buying one of these in EU...they're almost 2x as much...
>>
>>998400
I'd suggest a salvaged compressor from an old AC unit or refrigerator will pull more than enough vacuum for your purposes. If you aspirate resin and lock it up... no worries they're cheap
Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.