[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Collet and bit stuck in router
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3
File: 20160524_172506_resized.jpg (891 KB, 1494x2656) Image search: [Google]
20160524_172506_resized.jpg
891 KB, 1494x2656
Hi /diy/ I just bought by first router and got this popular Bosch 1617EVSPK model from a seller on ebay that was selling it $40.00 cheaper than Amazon. The item was described as brand new but I had my doubts as soon as I opened it.

I put a bit in it and tightened the collet chuck, just to get a feel of how this thing works... Now when I unscrewed the chuck, the collet nut came off but the collet itself, and the bit are stuck in the router.

The instructions say its a self-extracting collet chuck and NOT necessary to strike the collet chuck to free the bit... Any ideas on how I get this bit out? I have already started the return process on ebay so I'd like to get the bit out before I mail this piece of shit back.

Thanks.
>>
>>998255
why don't you strap on a pair and pull it out
>>
>>998255
The "self extracting collet" is marketing speak, and you will still get shit caught from time to time.
Just hit it with a piece of wood, its not going to be stuck so hard you will damage the collet
>>
>>998262
So just hit the top of the bit with a piece of wood? Swing straight down on it?
>>
>>998255
That sucks that your meme bit got stuck. Dykes and a small piece of wood to use as a fulcrum
>>
Tap tap tap from the side. Gently but firmly. You dont want to bend the bit, even a little, because then it will vibrate like hell. If it's rusted in, tap a little harder. You're less likely to break the router than the bit, and you can always get a new bit. BTW this is going to happen every time you are trying to take a bit out.
>>
>>998262
>The "self extracting collet" is marketing speak

No, it isn't. The nut on plain collets merely compresses the collet when tightened. With self-extracting collets, the collet/nut have an interlocking ridge/groove that pulls on the collet when loosened, pulling it out enough to easily slip out your bit.

Honestly, though, I didn't even know you could find anything with a plain collet on it. I have to ask...OP, did you put the collet into the holder and then slip the nut on, or did you push the collet into the nut before loading it into the holder? The former will get it stuck, regardless of what kind of collet it is. The latter is proper assembly, assuming it's not plain.
>>
>>998331
I believe my problem was that I didn't properly push the collet into the nut before I put it into the router. I also didn't pull the bit up 1/8 before I screwed the nut tight.

I called Bosch's customer service but their power tools department was closed. I will try back tomorrow.

Gonna try the tap tap tap gently from the side...
>>
File: image.gif (15 KB, 440x200) Image search: [Google]
image.gif
15 KB, 440x200
>not buying a Porter Cable router
>>
>>998255
I've never had to hit a router to get the bit out...

get some vice grips, and then pull
>>
File: 20160525_174534.jpg (2 MB, 2988x5312) Image search: [Google]
20160525_174534.jpg
2 MB, 2988x5312
>>998375
I've tried that. It's really really stuck in there.

I called the Bosch customer service and the representative suggested to pry the sides of the collet outwards away from the bit and pull up on the bit. This didn't work. I think I am going to take it to a repair shop but thats not very DIY,
>>
>>998359
>2016
>buying a porter cable router

Years ago they were popular for being pretty good routers for a decent price.
Then they moved their production to mexico and raised their prices.

By todays standards they are loud, they dont have soft starts, and they vibrate pretty bad.

You can do a lot better for around the same price, like the router in the OP
>>
>>998746
are you trying to get the bit out of the collet?
see if you can get the collet out of the router first.
slip a screwdriver between the collet and the housing or something.
>>
>>998746
did you try to get some oil or something in there?
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.