[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Carpet
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2
File: carpetgold.jpg (187 KB, 720x960) Image search: [Google]
carpetgold.jpg
187 KB, 720x960
My grandparents want new carpet, they last had it layed down in 1981. Can the tack strip be left for the next job? The room is a rectangle, so is it something I could do on my own and save her some installation costs or is it best left to the pros?
Also, whats the secret to long lasting carpet? Is it the padding, or the carpet itself? When i try to research it I just find carpet companies shilling their stuff.
>>
I mean if the tack strip is still in good shape you could.. But why not just replace everything at once and do the job right so you don't have to redo it? But anyways as far as carpet goes, the padding underneath is where a lot of the support actually comes from. I generally don't like the attached pad style myself because for about the same price you can get a foam underlayment. Not that shitty stuff that looks like it's made of recycled cloth, like a solid foam that's made to stand up to years of walking on and not soak spills into your subfloor. As far as the carpet goes, it's mostly up to the style you like. There's def ones that hold up better and won't stain as easy by using a scotch gaurd. The only thing not to let them shill you over is a nylon carpet. I think it's home depot that pops a boner for that stuff. Let me know if you have any more specific questions.
>>
>>998209
Lmao nylon as a material is going to last and be a lot more abrasive resistant then a polyester.. It also doesn't asorb water as readily as polyester. Just saying..
>>
>>998209
>>998212
Shes basically looking for something shag or shag-like. She really loves the plush fuzzy feeling of the carpet she has now. I'll have to feel what nylon vs polyester is like in person
>>
>>998209
Tack strips are always reused if they are present and not damaged. This is doing it the right way.

About the only thing that polyester beats nylon at is UV resistance.
>>
File: image.jpg (1 MB, 3264x1965) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1 MB, 3264x1965
>>998209
Here's the scenario. The carpet space is a rectangle. But everyone steps through that room to get to the rest of the house so it gets heavy wear. The second most worn is where the feet go while people are sitting at the couch. she has a plastic runner down over the circulation section now to mixed success
After 30 years I guess I shouldn't be surprised, but there squares of brand new untouched carpet underneat the furniture.
>>
>>998248
bump for advice
>>
>>998212
It's not the carpet absorbing fluids you have to worry about, it's the padding. That's why my padding is spun aluminum and carbon fiber mix.
>>
>>998212
I'd avoid nylon. It is more likely to suffer fiber melt if dragging heavy furniture on it.
>>
>>998977
I'm planning on getting good padding definitely
Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.