[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Best way to keep a small room with a hot gaming PC cool? I have
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 2
File: image.jpg (1 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1 MB, 3264x2448
Best way to keep a small room with a hot gaming PC cool?

I have a pretty small room with a computer I game/stream on and that obviously that expels heat extremely fast. Is there anything I could try building/doing short of using my fans or opening my windows/door which aren't always an option for me?

I am also In the process of building a new rig so any suggestions on what to include on that to minimize heat expelling would also be appreciated.
>>
File: Cooler008[1].jpg (128 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
Cooler008[1].jpg
128 KB, 1024x768
>>
>>997924
tape a length of plastic dryer tubing to the PCs main fan outlet and run it out the window.

If the window needs to stay closed, cut a piece of plywood to wit the window opening, and run the tube through a whole in that.
>>
Buy an air conditioner to fit in your window?
>>
>>997924

I ran into the same issue with my office. I added on a networking closet and all the equipment plus my computers act like convection oven.

First, get the air moving via some sort of fan, that will give the chill effect, and also circulate the hot stale air.

Second, add a return to your AC, or some type of air return that will keep the A/C from building positive pressure and putting resistance on your unit and the room allowing more build up of hot air.

You can open a door and add a fan facing outward by the door or in its vicinity.

If you just add a windows unit without a return, you'll build up positive pressure.
>>
>>997938
Thanks, this is a lot more sensible for me to do. Didn't think about positive pressure build up.

I'd also like to ask again about my second question. Do you or anyone have any suggestions on the type of cooling That would be best for my new rig that would help in reducing heat in any way? I've heard nitrogen cooling does a bit but I'd like other suggestions if there are any.
>>
>>997924
You can use efficient components to minimise heat output, but that only gets you so far if the room doesn't have good ventilation.

It will be the difference between ~600W for a power hungry SLI rig and ~350W for a single GPU latest gen gaming PC.

What method you use to cool the PC makes no difference, a better cooler will just pump heat into the room more efficiently, keeping the chips cooler despite them outputting the same amount of heat energy.

You need some kind of ventilation. You can set up your PC to vent hot air out the window (either by mounting it on the window sill or with a duct), or maybe use an extractor fan to pull hot air out through the ceiling. You could also run a liquid cooling loop to a radiator outside your room, but at that point it would be cheaper just to buy an air conditioner.

The cheapest solution (short of leaving the window open) would be to grab a sheet to plywood, mount some cheap/scrap fans on it (intake at the bottom, exhaust at the top) and mount it in your window. If your in an upper story room, mount all the fans as exhaust and leave the door cracked open to suck cooler air from lower in the house.
>>
>>997987
alright then, I guess my only option for what I actually want to do is fans and creating an exhaust with an open door.

thanks for all the suggestions.
Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.