[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
My own pirate fm radio station
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 3
File: ck200a.jpg (15 KB, 418x303) Image search: [Google]
ck200a.jpg
15 KB, 418x303
Why is it so hard to make one?! First, I try using my raspberry pi which doesn't work (cause its a B+,) than I tried making one through the good ol' transistor radio schematic (with the oscillator chip and whatnot.) I don't have the parts, so I can just drive to a radioshack, right? But they are closing all of their stores! Ugh. Are there any quick alternatives I can try for making an fm radio station (online, through my raspberry pi B+, etc?) And if /diy/ can help me, I'll give you all the frequency so if you're in my area you can listen to some tunes! The transmitting range I'm looking for is about 1 mile, so if possible try keeping that in mind. I've wasted 10 hours so far working on this. I'm also consulting /mu/ on what music choice I should do. Thanks!
>>
>>997028
Why, how are you going to use it ? Like streaming music thru it and everyone that actually listens to 420 mhz is going to listen to your music as long as they are 20 yards away in clear sight from you ?

Its pointless, give up. Join the Ham radio master race
>>
>>997030
sure, I'll join "Ham radio." All I want is a want to broadcast music across my neighborhood for other friends to listen to. I'll look into ham radio.
>>
>>997035
Y-you have neighborhood friends?
...lucky...
>>
>Raspberry Pi doesn't work
Are you literally retarded? You attach your audio output to an AM or FM transmitter, problem solved. wew
>>
>>997028
find one of these
pciMax Ultra
http://www.pcs-electronics.com/pc-transmitters-c-64.html
>>
>>997050
He's trying to build a transmitter?
>>
>>997028
1 mile of range of an FM transmitter is mad illegal. best you're going to get is a few hundred feet line of sight if you want to stay inside of the law.
>>
>>997177
this. your only choice is setting up a series of transmitters/recievers so you cover more area. And still it might get illegal too. And it will be soon ( 1-2 days ) before you get caught, at least in the US.

So what you can do is, get a bunch of cheap wifi raouters, set up a network from them and tell your friends to hook up to it and listen, that way you can keep it local and legal and its by definition a radio.

but if you are bothering with networks and such, why not just setup simple apache server and run an internet radio

yet agian, making a radio signal stronger is "simple" as making the output of the singnal more powerful if you dont care about getting caught or you live in outlaw area where ppl dont care about such stuff
>>
File: fb.png (15 KB, 120x217) Image search: [Google]
fb.png
15 KB, 120x217
>>997177
That may be the case in your country but in NZ it is legal.

http://www.rsm.govt.nz/about-rsm/spectrum-policy/gazette/gurl/low-power-fm-broadcasting
>>
It's not FM but you can get around 20 miles easy with a low-power Part 15 AM transmitter.

This place sells kits, would be a place to start:
http://www.sstran.com/

Then I suppose build a amplifier for it, or use a big antenna to increase your ERP.
>>
>>997177

As an amateur radio operator, I will say this much. The FCC couldn't give fuck less if you use an unoccupied channel that doesn't cause any interference to licensed stations in the market you run your transmitter, or outside of it.

No, it's the legal station owners who do care. Most will turn a blind eye to it at first, but will quickly snap back and bring the FCC into it if:

- A licensed station takes your channel but you do not change frequency immediately.
- Your station broadcasts media that conflicts with the format that a legal station or multiple stations already transmit.
- You run paid advertisements
- You drop lots of F bombs on live radio either through your media or yourself through live radio
- Your signal causes spurious emissions that interfere with other stations (cheap FM transmitter kits are very unclean transmitters if you run them near their rated limit).

It is almost more likely a homeowner association will shit on you for having an antenna visible depending on where you live and then get you reported to the FCC than anyone else reporting it. It also depends on where you live, and perhaps your connections with the local station engineers.

It's also not as common anymore because FM radio as a medium is on the decline, so the FCC is less apt to assess penalties. But it is of course a non-zero chance that you could be penalized for it. Sometimes they will request you immediately cease operations with a minor warning. Other times they will assess a fine right away if you have received multiple warnings from other parties in advance.
>>
>>997204
Why will you be caught so quickly hijacking an unused frequency
>>
Have you tried broadcasting up a CATV line? Some splitters may block that reverse transmission, and the tap at the street may also block that reverse signal depending on the equipment. It may be worth experimenting. No need to build rf boosters as the line-side line extenders and trunk amps may do the job for you if they haven't been configured to block that segment of the spectrum.
>>
>>998934
bcz the law says so, you gotta have permit and pay taxes to use commercial freq, I hate it too
>>
File: buthow.png (2 MB, 2480x1469) Image search: [Google]
buthow.png
2 MB, 2480x1469
Hello /diy/

First timer here, can anyone help me with soldering pic related together?

Changer had a white and red wire connecting it to its mic.
Throat mic had a red and green wire.
Soldered red to red and white to green but no joy.

How wrong am I doing this?
>>
>>999193
>How wrong am I doing this?
Posting in the wrong thread for starters
>>
>>999198
Sorry about that, any advice about the voice changer though?
>>
One mile should be doable, but you'll have to mount an antenna on your roof. Just search around for an FM transmitter kit.
Also, the Raspberry Pi based transmitter doesn't nearly have enough power for a mile. More like 50ft.
>>
>>999201
Wiring the wrong way shouldn't be the issue because it's AC.
>>
In the US there is a neighborhood broadcasting license that only requires a fee and using lower power equipment. You can even broadcast video on it.
>>
>>997204
>routers
Oh man I was gonna do this about ten years ago, set up a need LAN with local tv, music, chat, message board, etc. Couldn't get enough locals interested enough to make it worth the effort though. I had a server build out of dumpster parts running Arch Linux streaming video on it for a while, but I was the only one watching.
>>
>>1000758
>neat LAN
>server built
Sorry I got so nostalgic I forgot how to type.
>>
>>997028
If you don't want to fuck around with RF or the FCC, you can always make an internet radio station.

Pros:
- worldwide
- won't get you arrested
- listen to on any device

Cons:
- no coolness points
- no radio if no internet
>>
>>1000767
Internet radio, as in UDP streaming etc. has really gone out of style lately though. Not a lot of listeners.

If you live near a college, they usually have a radio station, and it's really easy to get a DJ position. Usually it doesn't pay and they'll stick you in a shitty timeslot starting out, but you can mostly play whatever you want.
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.