[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
DJ Midi controller
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 4
File: midi-fighter-spectra-two-color.jpg (73 KB, 640x351) Image search: [Google]
midi-fighter-spectra-two-color.jpg
73 KB, 640x351
I'm just fucking sick of these arcade pushbuttons. Really, they look fucking ugly and are shit to use.

Has anyone ideas how one could make nice pads like on Pioneer DDJ.
>>
File: 1611_1024x1024.jpg (159 KB, 800x800) Image search: [Google]
1611_1024x1024.jpg
159 KB, 800x800
Maybe go with silicone pads with conductive traces on PCB
>>
File: keyboardhell_u342u4.jpg (145 KB, 1210x654) Image search: [Google]
keyboardhell_u342u4.jpg
145 KB, 1210x654
>>997002
>Has anyone ideas how one could make nice pads like on Pioneer DDJ.
Hmmm,,,,,,
>Google image search for "Pioneer DDJ midi controller"
>dozens of different models shown, from a couple hundred to thousands of dollars, all with different controls
you may have to post a link to the actual model you are talking about

If you just want nicer buttons, then use PC keyboard buttons.
Sparkfun is selling Cherry switches now, tho prolly not the cheapest price around.

If you want *REALLY* nice rectangle/square buttons, go to Digikey and search for NKK button switches.
And bring a credit card. The cheapest ones are like $6-$7 a piece; many cost more than $10 each.
They are awesome tho: smooth as silk with a nice let-off and a sweet tech-y sound. Many have clear keycaps and/or LEDs in them.

Alternately: the video game buttons work well overall...
They feel good, they can take being POUNDED on, they don't cost much and you can get LED versions.
All of them that I've seen use a common style of micro switch so you can easily replace it when the button fails--after 10,000,000 presses or so.
The only two downsides IMO is they are kinda big and look rather generic.
>>
File: ddj-sx_46.jpg (3 MB, 5184x3456) Image search: [Google]
ddj-sx_46.jpg
3 MB, 5184x3456
>>997124
Would be perfect if they wouldn't be so high, from videos I can tell they have a stability problem

>>997170
>you may have to post a link to the actual model you are talking about
see pic related, all the ddj have similar push buttons accross models. I guess the large performace pads are silicone and the play, cue and onther buttons are plastic with thin flexible frame, pushing on the tactile buttons on PCB.

>If you want *REALLY* nice rectangle/square buttons, go to Digikey and search for NKK button switches
not very much different from arcade buttons

I'm probably gonna try to get silicone domes from and old keyboard.
>>
>>997197
>see pic related, all the ddj have similar push buttons accross models.
open one up and see if there is a manufacturer name on the buttons

>not very much different from arcade buttons
Yea, they are. You might have to feel it to understand tho.
It's the reason that places can charge $100 for a rather plain PC keyboard with good buttons, while there's ones with shitty buttons at wal-mart for less than $10.

~~~~~~

One thing I've noticed is that a lot of good buttons only come in panel-mount styles. They stick out the front only 1/8", but there is 2" of plastic sticking out the back. :/

If you want PCB-mount buttons then you are pretty much left looking at PC keyboard buttons, and a lot of PC keyboard buttons use odd mounting tabs/posts that don't fit into regular .1" spaced holes.

My experience with trying to salvage silicone-dome buttons is that it is a waste of time.
The domes are made in one big sheet of silicone that is only anchored around the outside edge, so there is no clean easy way to separate the domes and still anchor them easily.
If you could find stand-alone silicone dome buttons those would work, but I've never seen them.
Most of the good buttons I've seen details on used buckling (mechanical/wire) springs.
>>
OP here agan.
Well problem kinda solved, decided to contact Chinese manufacturer who has a mold of pads I like, this shit gonna get expensive.
>>
Check out Ada's store
https://www.adafruit.com/product/1611
Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.