[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Multitools
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 10
File: image.jpg (56 KB, 640x427) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
56 KB, 640x427
Hello! Not sure if this would be better posted in /k/ so feel free to tell me to fuck off elsewhere. I've recently started a new job as a maintenance fitter/engineer at a big plant that produces pre-cast concrete products. I'm looking for a multitool I can keep in my coverall pocket for quick fixes whilst doing my rounds of the plant. Multitool based on a plier design would be preferable. What do you guys reccomend?

Tldr: best multitool for maintenance fitter/engineer
>>
You're shit out of luck mate. What you need is a tool belt.
>>
File: Screenshot_20160521-211853.png (288 KB, 1080x1920) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20160521-211853.png
288 KB, 1080x1920
^That said I always carry a Laser 17mm/13mm ratchet podger.
>>
>>996663
take some Leatherman that fits your needs.
If none of them fits your needs, cut the crap an get a proper toolbox.
>>
I've got a big tool chest/trolley that I lug with me to machine breakdowns and stuff. I'm really looking for something I can keep on my person for the "when you have a spare minute could you look at this **** on the **** machine for me?" Type of situations. Loose wires, jammed up safety lock-outs, faulty crane pendants. Little jobs like that that aren't a proper "breakdown" as such or part of the preventative maintenance schedule. I'm aware of Leatherman and Gerber tools, are there any other brands worth looking at?
>>
>>996671
No leatherman ever fits anyones needs.
>>
>>996665
Tool belt would be okay if it weren't for the fact I have to do quite a lot of climbing and tight access stuff due to the nature of the shitty machinery I have to take care of.
>>
>>996677
according to that cheeky bastard Chris Boden from the Geek group, Leatherman > Gerber
but he's a overexaggerating faglord, so...
>>
>>996671
>leatherman

Can you stop forcing memes.
>>
File: image.jpg (16 KB, 400x182) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
16 KB, 400x182
>>
File: 1456678303931.gif (145 KB, 300x375) Image search: [Google]
1456678303931.gif
145 KB, 300x375
>>996688
>machinery
>screwdriver
>>
>>996693
Never worked maintenance, have you?
>>
>>996678
>>996671

Genuine question,

What is wrong with leatherman?
>>
>>996710
It wasn't a statement about the brand, it was a statement about multi-tools in general.
>>
>>996677
I carry a 7" pliers wrench and bit-holder screwdriver with the bits I'm likely to encounter (including a couple 1/4" sockets), a knife, and a mini Maglite. Multitools typically make compromises that make them less effective than dedicated tools. That assortment I mentioned can do a wide variety of tasks better than any multitool I've encountered while fitting in pockets/belt better than a single bulky multitool.
>>
>>996710
multitools in general can do a lot of jobs poorly to decently, a good one might be able to do one or two jobs well but they're never going to be as good as a tool belt with some actual tools
>>
>>996747
yea a small back pack with tools in it works for tight places as well
or a small tool box for the odd socket set/screwdrivers/hammer/pipe wrench,and duct tape would also be pretty good
>>
>>996699
his life is pure shitposting
nice ugh... tripdubs??
>>
>>996663
Well why not start with what fucking tools you most commonly require?
I don't carry multitools, I don't even carry a bit driver. I carry a 200mm pz2, a small terminal driver, linesman pliers (kV rated), multimeter and a medium adjustable spanner. Oh and mini led maglite.
>>
Does anyone know the name of these asian multipourpose linesmanpliers
Advertisited with a cute dinosour
>>
>>996747
They do a lot of jobs poorly and no jobs decently.
>>
get a toolvest. it's like a tool belt but a vest and all the tools hug your body
>>
File: vest-detail1-675.jpg (78 KB, 675x430) Image search: [Google]
vest-detail1-675.jpg
78 KB, 675x430
>>998276
>>
>>996679
I do leak sealing in a big refinery. Tons of tight spaces and climbing. I have a back pack with different pipe dopes and tapes, 2 pipe wrenches, channel locks, linesman pliers, a couple commonly used combo wrenches, razor knife, 2 adjustable wrenches, and that covers basic jobs. Weighs under 20lbs and doesn't hold me up. Milwaukee and Klein have backpacks suited just for tools, they're pretty nice, but they're not flame retardant so I can't use them. Since you're not dealing with explosives try looking at those.
>>
>>998276
This guys is pretty sweet, hand made vest
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uEMiJ-ka4RQ
>>
File: upload180441816688391923.jpg (24 KB, 445x543) Image search: [Google]
upload180441816688391923.jpg
24 KB, 445x543
>>998276
>>998277
>>998310

Or... if you don't feel like having vest for whatever reason, just use a hoodie with connected pockets.

Sure it's unorganized and the hood could get caught on stuff, but if you're lazy and don't feel like buying/making a vest, you can always use an ol' hoodie.
>>
>>996677
I'd go with the leatherman surge. I use mine in a similar context (random small fixes) and it's usually fine for small jobs.
>>
>>996747
>>998264
I don't understand this opinion. I use a multitool semi-regularly, and while it has its limitations, the pliers work fine as pliers, the screw drivers work fine as screw drivers, and the knives work fine as knives. So why should it do a worse job of , for example, cutting fence wire than a pair of wire cutters would do?
>>
File: tmp_15188-07001760-1483002811.jpg (68 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
tmp_15188-07001760-1483002811.jpg
68 KB, 600x600
Mate what you're looking
Fencing pliers
>>
I've posted this before, but what I consider a good setup is a flathead screwdriver, pocket screwdriver, 7 inch pair of adjustable pliers, leatherman, flashlight, pen, and knife.

Most times, if I have to run back to the shop for tools, I'm either grabbing a meter or my entire cart.
>>
>>996677
Legit. Large vice grips. If you cant unfuck it with vice grips. Then its fucked pretty good and you need proper tools or to replace it as a whole. (you can use the back of the bigger ones as a pretty nice hammer.)
>>
>>998407
It's like having a pair of harbor freight pliers, harbor freight screwdriver, and a frost cutlery knife in your pocket.
Very poor example of every tool, I don't understand the opinion of saying that it will work "just fine for small jobs" in terms of your career. I would literally never use shit tools any other time, they create problems and can waste your time. But you suddenly at those tools to a multiplier people lose their minds and think its a great idea. Never mind the fact that you'll spend twice as much time doing something because the tool is shit.
>>
>>998310
pretty neat
>>
>>998466

Except that all those harbor freight tools work significantly better than most multi-tools
>>
File: mustafa.jpg (17 KB, 480x270) Image search: [Google]
mustafa.jpg
17 KB, 480x270
>>998407
>So why should it do a worse job of , for example, cutting fence wire than a pair of wire cutters would do?
>>
File: dien-thoai-nokia-6210_360.jpg (22 KB, 359x269) Image search: [Google]
dien-thoai-nokia-6210_360.jpg
22 KB, 359x269
call someone to do the job
>>
>>996663
At work we use a Gerber leather man, and the multi bit screwdriver. However most of my work is with plcs.
>>
File: fence-tensioner-2[1].jpg (176 KB, 761x760) Image search: [Google]
fence-tensioner-2[1].jpg
176 KB, 761x760
>>998432
>Mate what you're looking
>Fencing pliers

I can confirm that this is only multi tool worth a shit at all the jobs it does. But it's made for fencing.
>>
>>998253
Any thoughts
>>
>>996699
What kind of maintenance do you do where you're more likely to use a screwdriver over a spanner or socket set?

Electrical?
>>
>>998253
>>998680
Are you talking about the Vampliers, the japanese version called the Engineers has a dinosaur mascot. Even though I wouldnt really call them multipurpose. They are screw removal pliers.
>>
>>998568
>a Gerber leather man
>>
>>998692
thanks
>>
>>998596

>qualified fence technician at work
>>
>>998683

Not him but very often I run across tool and machinery repairs that without a slotted or Phillips driver I would be going nowhere.

OP I am kind of in your position and I carry a tool pouch, which takes up as much space as a smart phone holster and in it I have:

1000v test driver
6" ph2 driver
8-10 slotted driver
5" cutting pliers
6" needle nose pliers
Palm full of drywall screws that I use everywhere*
Grip wrench
Adjustable wrench
Electrical tape (only blue because fuck the next guy)
Thread tape

*i have probably driven 5000 drywall screws in the last 3 years and not once in my life have I even touched a sheet drywall
>>
>>998757

The clasp is also Velcro so when I hop in and out of vehicles I can just quickly attach and remove. But even squeezing down pathways it is only on my side so I don't have to remove it then unless I am working for a long period and need to relieve weight on my belt because it can get heavy for such a small attachment when you load it.
>>
>>998277

if you're the only one with that thing you'll look like a special needs person.

>>998338

this will make you look like a scavver and likely get you shot on accident.
>>
>>998466
Well I suppose there's just not much seeing eye-to-eye on this. I haven't had any issues like what you're describing with any of the multitools I've used.
>>
>>998502
Not down talking you lad
But have you ever done a lot of fencing?
Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.