[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Arms
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 5
File: protection.jpg (22 KB, 308x547) Image search: [Google]
protection.jpg
22 KB, 308x547
Sup /diy/,
I'm having trouble designing a strong enough handle for the wooden shield in the picture. I've looked at lots of shield handle designs, but I'm unsure if most of them could strap a 20 pound shield to my arm without breaking. Any ideas? Wood is 3/4" poplar.

Also post your swords, shields, polearms, bows, armor, etc. I wanna see em.
>>
Wow, do you even know what you actually made there? Its a pavise and its not for wearing... It would be set up by an archer to provide cover. I would love to see you try fighting hand to hand with it though, you would get rekt. If you insist, make a rigid d-shaped handle to grip and a thick strap to put your arm through. I think that would be your best bet. Have fun with getting flanked constantly and not being able to do shit about it. If you wanted a high coverage melee shield you should look into Roman designs...
>>
>>996556
Leather strap affixed to the shield with bolts and washers. Cut out pieces of leather the size of the washers to reinforce the holes.
>>
>>996556
Biggest shield I can think of which was around 20lb was the larger Roman Scutum the legionnaires used
Basically a handle behind the boss and a few straps for slinging it
>>
>>996556
I know this is gonna come off as condescending, but I can't imagine a handle being terribly hard to fix to this thing. A simple steel drawer handle from Home Depot and four screws at least 3/4 inches in length. I recommend hex-heads. Add a strap for arm support, and have fun breaking your arm in combat.
>>
>>996556
Not to armchair warrior here but a 20lbs shield is not very practical outside cosplay maybe. That aside you could probably pick up a fitting door handle at your local building supply shop. My suggestion is that you place it horizontally rather than vertically so you lift it with your posterior chain. I can shoulder press a good 90kg and even then the idea of wielding a 20lbs shield in the traditional manner sounds like havoc on your arm joints. The only shields around that weight were used strictly for formation fighting not sword and board.
>>
File: adj-shield-on-hand.jpg (54 KB, 300x475) Image search: [Google]
adj-shield-on-hand.jpg
54 KB, 300x475
>>996556
>That profile
Are you making this?
>>
>>996625
>smough_in_a_sombrero.jpg
>>
File: meat.jpg (25 KB, 308x547) Image search: [Google]
meat.jpg
25 KB, 308x547
>>996625
I was going to ask "Bonus points to anyone who can tell me the game its from." but I figured no one would get it. But yeah I'm trying to make the Adjudicator Shield and Meat Cleaver.

And yeah I know its very impractical in any real battle, and would even be too damn big to carry around cosplaying. I just think making ridiculous weapons are fun. Thanks for the advice so far.
>>
Just bolt it right through your arm.
>>
File: handle.jpg (35 KB, 530x799) Image search: [Google]
handle.jpg
35 KB, 530x799
>>
File: sled.gif (68 KB, 600x214) Image search: [Google]
sled.gif
68 KB, 600x214
I dont know what format of LARP/ Cosplay you are doing but we do it totally different. We get a sled like the one pictured. Then you get some camping sleep mats (cheap and dense foam) and attach that to the sled. Finally you wrap it in whatever and make handles.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.