[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Going to re-level my driveway. Sunk like a bitch. Any tips? Thanks.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 3
File: SandersRetard.png (46 KB, 960x620) Image search: [Google]
SandersRetard.png
46 KB, 960x620
Going to re-level my driveway. Sunk like a bitch.

Any tips?
Thanks.
>>
>>996176
Be sure to check if it's level.
>>
File: jasongenova.png (577 KB, 436x614) Image search: [Google]
jasongenova.png
577 KB, 436x614
>>996227
FUCKING GIVE ME SOME TIPS, REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
I'd start out by taking a level, and placing it on your driveway. To see if it's level.
>>
>>996176
Gravel, concrete, asphalt?
>>
>>996176
tips like compacting the soil underneath properly?
what more is there to it?
>>
File: Rani-Writes..Spit-in-me-hat.jpg (62 KB, 577x1024) Image search: [Google]
Rani-Writes..Spit-in-me-hat.jpg
62 KB, 577x1024
>>996176
Hire some pikeys to do it for you
>>
>>996176
>how is your driveway constructed ?
>how big is your budget ?

If you are willing to spend 2 weekends and at least 2-3k on it, but actually make it perfect, continue on reading. Else, fuck off.

>Get the measurments of the place.
>Calculate how much concrete you will need for a 6-8 inch slab
>Calculate the rebar of it too

now start digging, you dont have the right tools ?
>hire some tools

>when ~10 inches deep in the ground, level and stump it, now lay the concrete slab

>next week, lay the first layer of asphalt on it, and after that lay the second.

DONE, you made it, it will probably outlive your house and never fuck up agian
>>
>>996176
Why don't you look into having it slab jacked, if the panels are not cracked or in bad shape.

Slab jacking involves pumping high strength grout into your subgrade and lifting the slabs back into level.
>>
>>996548
>lay the concrete slab
>lay the first layer of asphalt
Genuinely curious. Why put asphalt over concrete? Is it a regional thing? I live out west and here if they put down steel reinforced concrete driveway they say good enough can call it a day. Is it for places that get snow so if you fuck up your driveway with a plow you can be able to easily replace it?
>>
>>996505
Once you invite a pikey on your land he can legally stay there.
>>
>>996645
It's for dumbasses, there's no reason to cover perfectly serviceable concrete with asphalt, unless you just like the aesthetic
>>
>>996651
If the concrete is still settling and you don't address the underlying issue the asphalt will crack as well.
>>
>>996176
make sure to lay the rebar and pour the slab into plastic sheet
make sure you level everything

not much else
>>
>>996709
oh and compact the shit out of your foundation
>>
>>996709
There's absolutely no reason to install a vapor barrier unless you're going to build over the driveway later or apply a coating that has concrete moisture content sensitivity.

But do compact your subgrade material.
>>
>>996645
just for aesthetic reason, or in some places requirement.

In Germany is the law, every road that is for more than one car needs to have at least 3 layers of asphalt and a concrete slab(s) underneath. And so does the parking lots and stuff, it adds to the value of the house too if you are going to sell it after a while.

In theory it makes it better, and stronger, the asphalt will last longer (no potholes etc) but its more expensive as you can see.

If its for personal use and you don't care how it looks after 5-10 years, sure lay just 1 layer of asphalt on top of some gravel and enjoy.
>>
>>997012
Actually laying over a plastic sheet/vinyl shit etc is good idea - it wont crack.

Or at least the chance to crack is smaller, tl;dr it just makes it so, it stops the earth from sucking the moisture out of the concrete as quickly and so it cures better.
>>
>>997025
Actually "plastic" aka vapor barroer has nothing to do with controlling cracking. Suggest you investigate control joints and control joint spacing for crack control.

As anyone who knows anything about concrete will tell you, concrete always cracks.
>>
>>997024
It sounds like you're talking about public roads. They use similar sections here in the states.

This is for a drive at some guys house I believe. Sounds like overkill, no?
>>
>>997127
Yes it DOES always crack, its about WHERE and WHEN, if it cracks the first week or month, you failed. If it cracks after 10 years, u done gud. If it cracks in the controlled area, you done good again.

There is some other benefits of it, and I dont see a problem to do it that way, its not that much expensive, nor it coast time/skill to lay it under, its all gains is what you are getting out of it.

But it does control cracking, as I already said, it ensures the curing process is done right. This with all the other "anti" cracking measures gives optimal results.
>>
>>997128
Sure, its about public roads and private roads that are accessible from the public. But if you do it right you gain ~10-20 years more of use before its unusable.
That's the point, if you don't care about it in 10 years, just do it without it, but if you are thinking in living there for the next 10+ years or selling it, better think twice and invest 1-2k more in it and make it perfect.
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.