[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Connecting the right wires where
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 2
File: dFQyxMh.jpg (67 KB, 800x533) Image search: [Google]
dFQyxMh.jpg
67 KB, 800x533
Hey /DIY/,
I got a pair of first edition Marshall Majors that need some repair. I've found where the wire broke in the cord and bought a new TRRS plug to replace the ungodly sealed one it came with. Trouble is, the original plug was a full plastic mold with the wires inside, so I couldn't figure out which wires went where.

I've a standard TRRS plug, vut the wires are like this:

Blueish-green wire
Copper/gold with with fiber
Copper/gold wire
Red wire in insulation sleeve
Reddish wire

Sorry if vague, I'll take a picture afterwards, had to rush to work.

I know I need to strip off the wires and burn off any coating on them before soldering it. I just dont know which wire correspond to with section (pic related).

>inb4 Google it
I have searched for it, it's not similar to iPhone earphones (or earphones in general) and the only one with a diy fix for it (making a removeable cord like the M. Major II's) doesn't detail what wire are for which.

Thanks for the advice/help.
>>
>>995638
Just leave some wire when you cut jack off the cord so you can peel the wires on the original plastic jack and use a multimeter to check the continuity and figure out the color.
>>
>>995641
Unfortunately, I don't have a multimeter. Are they available to rent/lend from hardware stores? Or are they relatively inexpensive to buy?
>>
>>995645
10$ for a chinse one. It will do what you want. Or rig one up with a LED, a resistor and a battery.
>>
>>995645
This is all I can offer, I suggest you do this >>995641 just to be sure.
A cheap $10 multimeter will do the job, put it on continuity mode and take note of the color of the cable connected to each sleeve.
>>
>>995660
>>995678
>>995641
Thanks for the information and being so quick, guys.
I'll look into getting a multimeter when I can.
Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.