[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How can I objectively determine the color code so that I can
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1
File: Swatch.jpg (128 KB, 1838x546) Image search: [Google]
Swatch.jpg
128 KB, 1838x546
How can I objectively determine the color code so that I can paint my walls to pretend I'm in the John Wick hotel?

I've secretly stolen every paint swatch Home Depot has and held it to my monitor and can't find it.
>>
>>995563
Somehow get in contact with the set designer and ask does he have that sort of information logged somewhere? Whatever you are seeing on the movie screen is almost certainly going to be different than what it was like in real life.
Ignore the hassle and go with whatever looks the closest.
>>
>>995563
Print off a color picture and have a paint store custom mix to match.
>>
trying to match a backlit led screen color to real-life value is fantastically complex and inexact - you can get the rgb value of each color from a(ny) picture easy enough, but paint irl always gonna look different, you can't literally live in a film.

If you got the swatches borrowed from HD already, or can obtain a pantone swatchbook somehwere, go to:
>color.adobe.com
- upload that picture, you can pick out the main color areas you need, then try matching swatches to the solid area color swatches produced from selection there, easier. You can also take a screengrab from here, or calculate direct rgb values; all of which dont help much/any trying to translate these rgb values to some retarded paintmix system. Better just trying to swatch match to monitor as above, then use swatches as the basis for ordering paint. And give up on the idea of perfection, you can maybe get near as tho.
>>
>>995563
just gonna leave this here

#293036 Hex Color Code
>>
Even if you visited the actual set, it would still look different, the film contrast and color editing/management makes the color look different then in real life.
>>
>>995563
Your monitor probably isn't accurate, and the camera that took the picture might not be accurate, and it may have been edited in the process. Just hold up swatches and vaguely find one that looks right. Even if you got the original paint code it may not look right in person.
>>
>>995563
Paint is mixed in CMYK while your monitor is lit cia RGB. You're looking for Pantone swatches to match paint to the color on your monitor. Your monitor qill probably never display the true color of the wall. Pantone codes are how companies like Home Depot and McDonalds verify that the exact color is used from location to location and advert to advert to maintain brand consistency.
>>
The lighting temperature will also change the perceived colour of the wall.
If its close enough people won't be able to notice the difference.
The colour won't be the reason nobody realises what you did, it's because nobody saw the film and those that did probably none remember what the hall looked like.
Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.