[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Gas welding gear
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 120
Thread images: 11
File: Oxygas_welding_station.jpg (516 KB, 2362x2362) Image search: [Google]
Oxygas_welding_station.jpg
516 KB, 2362x2362
I want to get into gas welding. Any anons can recommend some equipment? From what I've read good low pressure regulators are important. The options for torches and tips is a little overwhelming doe. I'm mainly wanting aluminum and steel cut & weld capabilities.
>>
>>994958
Get any ARC welder or Tig/Stick combo. It will do everything better and not explode.
>>
>>994976
Said _GAS_ faggot. If you don't know shit about it, GTFO out my thread
>>
>>994981
I do know about it. I have done gas, gtaw, smaw, gmaw, Flux core, etc etc welding of all kinds and gas sucks. It's good for one thing and that is cast iron and honestly tig/gtaw welding is better.

A stick and tig machine can do titanium, stainless, magnesium, aluminum, mild steels, white metals, brass, bronze, copper, etc etc.

Gas cannot do those thing. Gas is good for heating metal and cutting. It's a poor welding medium compared to any Arc welder.
>>
>>994981

just go to harbor freight. personally i feel a douchebag such as yourself would better spend his time as a charred husk then pretending to be a 1337 welder cause you can "only uuz gas yo"

>not the other anon, but saw this shit on 1st page
>>
>>994984
Except when no electricity.
>>
>>994988
Except when buy a generator and kill yourself.
>>
>>994988
THEY DEFINITELY DON'T MAKE AWESOME DIESEL POWERED WELDERS RIGHT DIESEL GAS IS SO MUCH MORE EXPENSIVE THAN ACETYLENE AND OXYGEN COMPRESSED TO DANGEROUS LEVELS SO THAT WHEN YOU DRAG THEM OUT TO A PIPE WELDING SITE THERE IS NO CHANCE OF THEN FALLING ON A ROCK AND BREAKING THEIR TOP OFF BECAUSE NO ONE CHAINS THEM UP RIGHT?
>>
>>994991
Oh shit didn't realize an oxycetylene setup raped your mom/wife.
>>
Welp, time to grab some popcorn...
>>
>>994999
Perhaps it's because I'm tired of seeing retards cone here once a month posting about "muh oxy fuel welding" "muh no electricity" "muh welds are shitty but it's not because I oxy fuel weld" posts that inevitably end with the person just being told to get a fucking ARC welder.
>>
> Any anons can recommend some equipment?

A time machine to get the fuck out of 1920

If you want to weld aluminum and steel i would get a TIG, And i don't care that you said gas, A TIG/MMA weld will help you better since you're not gonna go into plumbing and weld copper tubes.
>>
>>994958

oxy fuel welding is a useful trick to learn when you want to impress people, other than that is it not effective, or useful in any means.
I'd say learn it, but if all you can do is oxy fuel weld shit, you're going to have a terrible time finding jobs, because its not fast, its slow.
>>
>>995095
>ask for advice from experience welders
>doesn't like being told the answer
>can't accept facts
Why come here asking a question you already know the answer that will be given and you won't accept? You sound young and dumb.
>>
>>994958
you can't cut aluminum with a gas axe.
>>
File: paper_clip_art_kw38.jpg (46 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
paper_clip_art_kw38.jpg
46 KB, 800x600
>>994958
>I want to get into gas welding. Any anons can recommend some equipment?
You can overspend for "industrial grade $$$" if you wanna, but the fact is that there's really not a lot of difference between the cheapest and the most-expensive setups.
(this is in the USA anyway,,,, where all brands sold must pass the same safety regulations)

This is also the reason that you hardly ever see gas torch equipment advertised on welding forums--there's just not a lot to crow about from one maker to another.
ESAB is about the only one I see ads for on US-based forums, just because of their industrial service.... $$$ If you have a big (industrial) account, they have a truck come around to your business regularly, like Snap-On and Matco do for hand tools.

The main thing is the overall size: the big torches are heavy to hold for long periods, and you rarely have them adjusted all the way up.
The "B" size torches are a lot easier to hold because they're lighter.
Aircraft-size torches are the next-smaller-down group; there's maybe 3 different kinds still in production now. The Meco Midget is one example.
For really small stuff you want a jewelry torch setup.

Some torches have gimmicks that can be useful, like odd tips or multi-tip setups. Or a pistol grip.
The Dillon/Henrob/cutslikeplasma torch is this way.
It is rather expensive for what it is, and rather heavy. Some people have them and love them, but it doesn't do anything that you can't do with any other torch with the same tip size.
What made this torch REALLY strange was the retailing method,,,,,,, for YEARS there was no walk-in retailer, or any way to mail-order one. There was a website, but no way to order online.
They were sold through local distributors that set up booths at car shows and swap meets where they did (highly staged) demos. You had to go to one of these shows and buy one in person.
Apparently they let you order them online now.
>>
>>994958
>I want to get into gas welding. Any anons can recommend some equipment?
A fucking arc welder.
>>
>>994958
I started out with gas welding, it would be a great choice if you want to build an experimental aircraft from ?4130? chrome molly steel tubing.

i like the victor aircraft torch, and really all the gear from that company, but it is not cheap.

it is nice for brazing, silver solder, loosening stuck stuff, and carbon steel sheet metal. the haz is huge compared to tig.

not cheap either. i have at least $1k in my gas rig. not to mention gas running costs.

if you need it you need it though.
>>
>>995353
>>995401
Thanks for the on topic reply. I appreciate your advice.
>>
>>994976
>>994984
>>994985
>>994989
>>994991
>>995095
>>995244
>>995314
Eat shit and die you syphilitic retards.
>>
>>995436
>syphilitic
Oh shit you really are from the 19th century.
How's Queen Victoria?
>>
File: torches_compared_h8g3.jpg (57 KB, 600x450) Image search: [Google]
torches_compared_h8g3.jpg
57 KB, 600x450
>>995244
>A time machine to get the fuck out of 1920
This is an odd fact of gas-welding torches: there are guys out there using the same torch their great-grandaddy did before WW1, because the only parts that wear out are some o-rings.
Old tanks, regulators and hoses are *not* usable, but the gas torches don't really wear out. Sometimes they need a flame arrestor on the fuel line, if they don't got one built-in.

>If you want to weld aluminum and steel i would get a TIG, And i don't care that you said gas, A TIG/MMA weld will help you better since you're not gonna go into plumbing and weld copper tubes.
With certain situations you get a lot better result with aluminum welding if you use a gas torch, exactly because of its large HAZ.

I have the tinman goggles for torch welding aluminum. It makes welding a lot easier, but they're expensive and it still requires a LOT of practice--especially on thin sheet aluminum.
I never managed to do any useful aluminum welding, but then I didn't try much either.
It can be done well tho--go look up some of the tinmantech videos. Warning: he is an old fart and he's been doing it forever.

If you have ever wondered: aluminum welding flux can be made by mixing table salt into a little bit of water until it forms a paste.
Commercial fluxes have some other ingredients that help, but plain table salt works too. Wash the flux off after welding.

The main best-use of an oxy-acetylene setup is if you are brazing thin steel. Welding tends to burn thin metal, but brazing doesn't harm it. This is the traditional bicycle custom-frame construction method because you can get very good joins on very thin steel, that are repairable--you can un-braze them and re-do them if needed.

Pic related: the gold torch is a B-size/port-a-torch, and the little one is a jewelry torch
>>
>>995456
Ive seen people weld 1mm aluminum with a TIG, Now your hell fire machine can't do that.

An Arc welding machine is a better choice for welding, this is a fact. So i don't see why he should start welding with gas and still be useful, Unless hes a plumber then you can use gas welding
>>
>>995675
1mm nothing. You can weld aluminum cans to each other with TIG.
>>
>>995456
clearly OP just wants to be a hipster and use some old inferior design to do what new tech can easily do better. fucking hipsters.

i use oxy-acetylene all the time but i do it for brazing. i had to learn torch welding in trade school for some reason. it was good to help understand some basics but nothing you cant learn better and quicker on a tig. and i only ever welded like 16ga mild steel and black iron. plus my 120/240v tig is lighter than 2 bottles and a big old brass torch
>>
File: 4L_MdEnz94G.png (967 KB, 640x1136) Image search: [Google]
4L_MdEnz94G.png
967 KB, 640x1136
Just bought pic related. Tanks came full and have been fucking around with it a little bit.

>fun as fuck
>turns rock into lava goddamn
>instamelt all metals, pretty fucking cool
>also melts glass! Did a quick little glass sculpture using a jelly bottle which shattered at the edge of the HAZ after 3 minutes lol. Need a proper kiln if I wanna keep doing glass stuff
>price for everything pictures was $450, and I can afford it, so it was worth it to me.

I recommend gas, although I haven't created anything yet
>>
>>995314
What are you talking about you retard?
>>
>>995801
Youre literally retarded.

>recommends gas
>hasn't built anything with it

Probably because welding with gas is retarded, slow, costly, and overall stupid.
>>
File: oreely_5088.jpg (16 KB, 367x388) Image search: [Google]
oreely_5088.jpg
16 KB, 367x388
>>995675
>Ive seen people weld 1mm aluminum with a TIG, Now your hell fire machine can't do that.
picture related
Here is a video showing tinman torch-welding .050 aluminum (= 1.27mm thick)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aF1Srs_e1Aw

>>995684
>1mm nothing. You can weld aluminum cans to each other with TIG.
you can do that with a jewelry torch, too--and the jewelry torch costs $100 + $250 for some port-a-torch acetylene tanks & regulators,,,, compared to ~$1800+ for a square-wave TIG setup.

Torch-welding aluminum (especially thin sheet) is not easy, but it can be done.
I doubt it's a practical "job skill" to learn, but there are a (very) small number of people who earn their livings doing it all day long.

If you want to weld as a hobby, I'd say get an oxy-acetylene setup, if you can. (Some places prohibit fuel tanks at homes)
If you want to learn to weld as a job,,,,,,, then look around your area for the kinds of welding that are posted in job ads. You have to learn what THEY want, not what YOU want.
>>
OP here with a new question. Are there any weldors IIT who are not primadonnas?
>>
>>996116
It's not just this thread, it's the industry as a whole
>>
>>996116
Every welding type has advantages and disadvantages.

I say to get a gas torch for hobby use, because they work well on the thinner metals that you will end up using if you don't have real metalworking equipment.

A TIG works well too--but a TIG requires a special plug and costs 3-4X what a portable gas torch setup does.

You can go get a stick or a flux-core mig and just burn holes in sheet metal you are trying to weld; lots of other people do. You can go read them asking about that on various welding forums.
A gas torch costs somewhat more than a cheap MIG or stick, but it pretty much totally avoids all the problems that are common to cheap stick and MIG welders too.
>>
>>996708
>TIG requires a special plug
Inverter TIg machines can deliver good power on a regular 120V circuit. Mine can put out 150A from 120V-20A. At home, I use a 240V outlet for more power and duty cycle, but it's been sufficient when that wasn't available.
>>
>>996708
Picked up an older Harris 85 torch body, cutting (top part whatever it's called), hose and Harris 25 regulators for 100 Canuck bucks. Ill see what another 300-400 gets me for bottles.
Keeping an eye out for goggles, then I'll get the timman tint for them.
Ive allready got a big fire extinguisher in the garage and I'm cleaning up the combustibles in there.
>>
File: Maxstar 210.jpg (792 KB, 3103x3751) Image search: [Google]
Maxstar 210.jpg
792 KB, 3103x3751
your absolutely crazy if you dont think pic related is superior to your dumb ass torch rigs at 3 grand its on the expensive side of a home GTAW setup but will take 110 to 480 volts and will do anything you could conceivably need
>>
>>997399
Can it cut? How about brazing or soldering? Can you use it for heating to do bends?
>>
>>997399
>no ac tig
>"anything you could conceivably need"

Are you even a fucking welder?

People like you remind me of old ham fagots who think that analog multi-meters are better than DMMs even though that is demonstrably false.
>>
>>997409
>cut
an angle grinder cutoff disk bro, why would you even use a torch for cutting, that gets old fuckin fast
>brazing
why though? name one time you'd need it that isn't super specific
>soldering
propane torch
>heating to bend
that's true, but when would you do this in a proper fabrication set-up (unless nigrigging something) ? as quality control is difficult for this in a assembly line set up. there's better ways.

TIG's gross anyways but necessary at times
>>
>>994984
>>994985
>>994989
>>994991
>>995095
>>995244
>>995314
>>995323
>>995373
>>995675
>>995684
>>995702
>>995819
>>997399
>>997418
A.) OP is doing this for hobby

B.) some people like getting into old methods because they're fun. Why is it that someone opens a thread about woodworking by hand and/or bushcraft or even metal casting/forging and everyone gets hard, open a thread about gas welding and all you get is raeg?

C.) gas is more versatile in a pinch

D.) gas is actually better for specific things than any other method.

E.) if you can weld well with gas, it's pretty much a given that you can weld pretty good with any method.

F.) Gas can be used for much more than metal work (think glass).

>>995095
and for you specifically, I have been browsing /diy/ daily for almost a year and a half and this is only the 2nd gas welding thread I've seen.
I don't know what the fuck you're on about.
>>
>>997460

Actually it is not more versatile, its in fact harder to do, which is the desire, actually. I have zero problems with him doing that. Gas welding is slower, it is solely done for hobby purposes; nowadays there are better ways to weld. Gas welding is archaic, i can't believe you're trying to justify doing other than its just a neat little trick to learn. That should of been your leading argument,.
>>
>>997775
>A.) OP is doing this for hobby
It was.

You should look up the definition of the word 'versatile'.

Gas welding is fun, and it's not often needed, but when it is you'd be thankful you learned it.

The only people in this thread that are saying that one method of welding is better in ALL circumstances are the primadonna TIG fags.
No welding process will cover all bases, and every welding process that is still around is still around for a reason.
>>
>>994958
Gas welding is a meme. With modern flux core, you can do just about anything.
>>
>>997798
able to adapt or be adapted to many different functions or activities. I know what it means, you don't clearly, gas welding is not versatile by any means, its not convenient, why the fuck the personal attack, i didn't say anything but disagree with you. Tig is the most effective welding out there, its also difficult which is why there is still mig welding... You will not find a job that does gas welding, and have hangers laying around
>>
Everyone in this thread is retarded. TIG/MIG welding is gas welding.

>tungsten inert gas
>inert gas
>gas

>metal inert gas
>inert gas
>gas

Learn your fucking terms
>>
>>997798

you're the one that brought up tig anyways, what point are you trying to make.
>>
>>997816

Acetylene is also a gas, whats your point.
>>
>>997815
>>997820
Able to be adapted and "convenient" are two different things.
You can use an Oxy/fuel setup for many more processes than you can a TIG welder. Therefore it is, by definition, more versatile.

>personal attack
>you brought up TIG
>WHAAAAAAA
I wasn't attacking you specifically, that should have been obvious to you by my use of plural words.
You didn't bring up TIG, but we are posting in a thread. Not PMing each other. Replies on 4chan sometimes include comments of the general consensus of the thread as well as the response to a specific anon.
>what is basic english syntax

The point of the last paragraph was that your implication was I thought oxy/fuel was superior to TIG, which I never said. You basically stated that oxy/fuel is inferior in all circumstances, which is demonstrably false on many levels.

You won't find any jobs that are JUST oxy/fuel, which is correct. That would be ridiculous. That was not the point of my reply or this thread. My point is that there are uses for which oxy/fuel is better for, or easier to use for.

One example is precious metals. Because of the small amount used, you risk melting the whole piece with an arc welder, but oxy/fuel gives you more control, since it provides a lower heat output over time.

There have been many times in the field where I have needed oxy/fuel because arc welders would be unsuitable. I'm an engineer, but my job involves fixing things that the workers don't understand, and the faggots in the design office can't explain to them or didn't account for the real word when they drew the schematics. Oxy/fuel has saved my ass more times than I can count.

>Hey anon, this 1g palladium part in some voodoo measuring device 400ft in the air needs to be welded
>TIG could vaporize it tho, and you can't bring it off the tower because we don't want to pay you for the time
You can't use TIG for everything. Just like you can't use oxy/fuel for everything.
>>
>>997916

I've TIG'D tin before, I don't know what you're talking about. I wouldn't ever front oxyfuel to any one, if its a job that requires light heat fusion, you're better off just using screws and bolts, oxy fuel is archaic. You don't have to be convinced it doesn't matter.
>>
>>997916

you know what fine, I won't argue with that. Still don't think its effective as you believe but i've yet to come across something tig can't weld, and I'm sure there are metals at a certain thickness that oxyfuel couldn't weld efficiently or effectively. while, i've seen tig weld razors together.
>>
Bump for lulz
>>
God I love the numale hatred for things that are considered manly.

ew its so like old, and it burned up my wire when I tried to use it to fix my headphones.

Every professional welding shop on earth has some form of oxy-fuel rig.
>>
File: 1411346219154.jpg (23 KB, 268x306) Image search: [Google]
1411346219154.jpg
23 KB, 268x306
>>997816
MIG and TIG use gas to protect the puddle, not to create the heat necessary to weld by combustion which does not make them gas welding processes, you fucking actual retard.
>>
>>999401
Hi OP

>Every professional welding shop on earth has some form of oxy-fuel rig
Which is used for cutting 99.9% of the time.
>>
>>999412

OPs last post was >>997372
Did not pick up any bottles yet. Looks like about 200$ tax in but I needed a leaf blower yesterday so I got that instead.
>>
>>997816
>gas=gas
You should weld with gasoline.
>>
>>995801
>fun as fuck
This is absolutely true. I'm happy for you, anon.
>>
>>997418
>heating to bend
Out of curiosity, what would you use to heat metal for bending and whatnot, if not some kind of gas rig? I guess you could go for a charcoal forge instead, but what's the non-archaic option?
>>
>>999491
IDK he's probably talking about industry, where they use presses, since like most 'welders' in this thread, he can't fucking read.
>>
>>994958
>take GOAT
>placed as a welder
>"Looks like I'm spending the rest of my life in this fucking vault."
>>
>>999660
>since like most 'welders' in this thread, he can't fucking read.
He's suggesting better ways to do things because he's not a fucking retard like OP and knows better than to get a shitty oxy rig.
>>
>>999698
I'm beginning to think the people in this thread who claim to be welders are actually just faggots in their parent's basements.

Every professional welder I've ever talked to has basically told me that having a full fledged oxy/fuel setup in the shop is a must.
>>
>>999829
Yeah, for the odd job and cutting through shit. There are very fucking few situations where an oxyacetalyne torch is better than a TIG or MIG setup.

Very Fucking Few.
>>
>>997418
I'm a blacksmith and I use oxy/ace for those purposes all the time. Sometimes you need to bend pieces to fit, sometimes you need to brazen a copper piece together, sometimes you need to heattreat a part, or even casting copper or brass
>>
File: 1443836982800.jpg (17 KB, 240x200) Image search: [Google]
1443836982800.jpg
17 KB, 240x200
>>999855
Thanks for your input.
I'm sure MIG is the bees knees.
It should be for the $ 3500+
For everything I need to do a $ 300 setup is fine.
Faggot.
>>
>>999829
Sorry to disappoint you but I'm actually a welder and getting a gas rig is really not the best idea in this context.

We do need oxy fuel rigs in shops for when we cut thick steel and the occasional job that requires it (occasional being the keyword here), but for what OP needs a basic arc welding setup with a couple other power tools and accessories would be better, unless he stated some of the usual reasons why you'd get O/A through all his salt and autism I don't really feel like reading.
>>
>>1000010
>Joining square aluminum tubing
>>
>>1000015
I'll always remember the face this guy made at welding school when he thought it would be a good idea to work with aluminum using O/A.
>>
>>1000016
For 1//11th the cost I'll work it out. Is good enough for the EAA, it will be good enough for a rack & toolbox.
>>
>>1000017
It does work, it's just one of the situations where an arc welder will do it better.

If I was you I would've just picked up an AC/DC stick welder with a variety of electrodes, but we live in a free world so oh well.
Just make sure you get enough practice in before doing the big stuff, wasting material (especially aluminum) is fucking infuriating.
>>
>>999868
You can braze with TIG and bronze rod.

I just completed an Oxyacetylene class since it is a requirement for my welding certificate. I have been tought all things oxyacetylene, except for a reason to use oxyacetylene.
>>
File: 1449720463785.jpg (37 KB, 420x408) Image search: [Google]
1449720463785.jpg
37 KB, 420x408
>>1000021
You mean like every situation where an ARC welder will do better?
>>
>>1000071
I think it's established that OP is too stubborn to accept it.
>>
>>1000010
Jesus, did y'alls dads beats you with their oxy/fuel torches when you were little?

>Except OP specifically asked about gas welding/cutting etc.
Have you faggots not considered the fact that OP already arc welds but wants to get into something different to learn or have fun?
>what OP needs
You don't even know what OP is doing, what metals and thicknesses he wants to weld, how the fuck would you know what he needs?

OP asked about oxy/welding, never stating it was superior.
That didn't come until you 'welders' shitposted him into oblivion making assumptions on what he's welding and why.
I'd hate to work with any of you fuckers on a job site.
>>
>>1000093
Well in this case maybe OP should've fucking said so in the first place instead of posting shit like >>994981
>>
>>1000093
>I'd hate to work with any of you fuckers on a job site.
Good, I prefer to work with people who know their shit.
>>
>>1000008
So you're just a poorfag, then. I got it.

Besides, where in the fuck are you that your spending $3500 on a MIG welder?
>>
>>1000042
With oxy/ace you can get the tip and your rod into very tight places or into places that you can't easily get the TIG gun to.

If I need to repair a broken brass finial I'm not going to drag a generator and/or a tig machine with me when I can throw two little tanks into the back of my car and get the job done quick.

Oxy/ace is very robust and accessible. It's much quicker and easier to use for small jobs than TIG I find.
>>
>>1000177
Canada. All are shit cost double and our dollar is only worth 72¢
>>
>>1000340
I'm Canadian and I can guarantee that you can find an acceptable MIG welder for way less than a grand.
Or if you want to poorfag it out to the max just get a stick welder.
>>
Go here and read. All your questions and more will be covered in their forums. (I have over 4,000 posts over several years, mostly on equipment, regulator and torch repair.)

http://weldingweb.com/forumdispl2-MIG-TIG-Stick-And-Oxy-Fuel-Weldingay.php?

OA welding and brazing are highly capable and useful processes. You can weld aluminum as well as steel.

No matter what process you use, you have to PRACTICE long and hard and systematically to get good. Welding is the answer to the question of what specific metal you want to join. Some inspirational welding and fab porn below.
https://www.tinmantech.com/

I suggest you begin with stick welding, then learn MIG (and don't start with a shitty flux core only machine) then TIG. You will want an OA outfit anyway since they are so versatile for heating and cutting, and welding tips are cheap hence no reason not to try OA welding too.

SRSLY, just go to weldingweb, the Miller forums (great site with training vidyas too), the Hobart forums (kinda quiet) and study your ass off. Welding is something every mechanic or gearhead or techie should learn.

If you can take a formal course at a local CC or trade school it's totally worth it. If not, you can get detailed advice on all aspects of welding training.

Have fun. And make sure you can SEE at welding ranges. A cheap autodark hood is great for training but practice with fixed shade hoods too.
>>
>>1000017
Try cheaper that oxy.
>Hf 80 amp inverter
>1/16 aluminum rods
All this for 150
>>
>>1000341
>>1001310
>>1001424
Except this was originally a
>"hey /diy/ tell me about oxy/fuel welding"
thread, not a
> "Hey /diy/ I don't know shit about welding and I want to get into this expensive hobby as cheap as possible"
thread.
>>
>>1001310
Thanks dude.
I should have thought to go to a real welding fourm first. But then I would have missed out on anonymously flamming jerkoffs who don't want to stick with the original post question.
>>
>>1001424
Thanks no thanks.
>>
>>1001310
Also,
> long and hard
Kek
>>
>Ctrl + F
no "hvac"
no "refrigeration"

Ok, look family, you don't need an oxy ace torch. Here's a simple set of questions to ask:

Are you brazing copper refrigerant lines for HVAC or Refrigeration purposes?

No?

Then you don't need an oxy-ace torch. You need a blowtorch for lower temp lower pressure water lines, or a tig welder for other metals. Stainless steel/aluminum = tig welder. Spend the cash on ALL the recommended PPE. You need those things because you're a soft, fleshy pile of /diy/ idiocy.

If you MUST be a stubborn idiot (you are) OXY ACE can be used to make tack welds on stainless and aluminum if you use 95% silver solder, and get it hot as fuck. This will not make a good weld, and is not recommended for important joints.

Don't do this, you are not skilled or experienced enough for it to work, and if you were you would know better, and bother to get a proper tig welding kit.

P.S. You're a moron.
>>
>>1001494
Continuing on your semi-retarded status as a mongoloid mouth-breather status:

Rosebud torch tips are ideal for your purposes. You need a striker and a set of gas and acetelyene tanks. You need a pressure regulator or there's no way of letting the gaas out. Also tubes. You can get all of this in a kit, they usually cost $150-200 USD where I am, excluding the gas tanks. Those will run you another $100 for the deposit on the tanks and the gas inside. Refills usually cost $30-50. HVAC supply houses sell it.

When you light it... Fuck it you can look the rest up on line you retard. Good luck not drowning in your own spit, you worthless sack of shit.
>>
File: OXYFUEL.jpg (410 KB, 681x1206) Image search: [Google]
OXYFUEL.jpg
410 KB, 681x1206
>>994958
>ITT
>>
File: artofnotgivingafuck.jpg (35 KB, 500x389) Image search: [Google]
artofnotgivingafuck.jpg
35 KB, 500x389
>>
>>1001502
Kek
>>
>>994958
what your budget in the first place?
>>
>>1001502
>>
>>1001424
>Thinking aluminum stick welding is worth a shit

It's literally the worst fucking way of doing it.
>>
>>1003328
Maybe if you are not a shit welder.
>>
>>1003276
Looks like I'll need to spend 450-500 on cylinders. Did not realize that oxy tanks are so dear. Probably get a 100lb LP tank too at some point.
Whatever. I can write off tools.
>>
>>1003500
There is a reason why virtually all aluminum welded uses TIG, because stick welding aluminum is fucking retarded.
>>
>>1003328
>>1003500
>>1003612
Say what you want about aluminum stick. While it is complete shit it has saved my ass before.

>Para-motoring around huge lake
>"hey anon, lets check out that island over there"
>Heylooksprettycool.jpg
>fly over island
>bird flies into my path and clips motor cage, which snaps one of my A lines
>black-hawk down
>land in a tiny clearing next to this old dudes house.
>talk to old dude, has no boat
>"You got a tig welder?"
>"no, but sonny I got a stick welder, and some rods that say aluminum. Never used them because they seemed gimmicky"
>Attempt to use it, end up using 4 rods to weld about 6" of 1/2" aluminum bar
>welds look like shit
>this will be interesting
>Take off
>pray that the cage doesn't fly into the prop again over the next 8 miles I have to fly over wilderness.
>get back to car, welds snap on landing
>neveragain.mov
>>
>>1003556
You can't use LP/Propane for welding steel, it's got too much hydrogen in it.
>>
>>1003638
Actually, it's because Acetylene creates lots of CO2 when it burns, which shields the weld.

Propane and many other fuel gasses cannot achieve a true neutral flame, and thus their welds will suffer from oxygen contamination.
>>
>>1003556
jezus christ... just get a welding course befor you blow up your nigborhod
>>
>>1003685
>OP who refuses to acknowledge that gas welding is shit
>getting a welding course where the instructors will tell him that gas welding is shit

That's a recipe for disaster.
>>
>>1003671
No, it's hydrogen embrittlement you fucking retard.
>>
>>1003638
No you can't weld with LP but you can cut and heat. It's this thing called versatility.
>>
>>1003702
I don't remember hydrogen being a byproduct of the oxidation of propane. I'm sure I just missed than in my 4 years of majoring in chemistry.

That, and you can't get a neutral flame with propane/oxy. Neutral vs oxygen vs reducing has to do with oxygen, not hydrogen. It has to do with the molecular geometry acetylene has that other gasses do not. Thus the flame from propane (and other gasses) is always inherently oxidizing (if you use too much oxygen, which will typically be the case when attempting a neutral flame). The neutral flame from propane looks quite a bit different from acetylene.
Not to mention you'd be hard pressed to get the base metals hot enough in the first place.

But go on, tell me how propane introduces pure hydrogen into the equation.

Oh, you mean the H20? Oxy/acetylene produces a similar amount of water as oxy/propane.
Technically oxy/propane produces more, but in the grand scheme of things, it's not enough to make a noticeable difference in the weld strength.
>>
>>1003612
Most aluminum is done with mig. and in the field often stick over tig because it's easier to get better welds when you don't have to worry about your gas blowing away
>>1003628
Those rods were probably bad or you would have probably put down a good weld
>>
I always heard that the reason that acetylene is used over propane is that it burns faster. So more of the heat is concentrated in the small blue primary flame instead of the outer secondary.

Acetylene:
22.7 ft/sec
507 btu/cubic foot primary flame
5720 degrees F

LP/Propane:
12.2 ft/sec
295 BTU/cubic foot primary flame
4579 degrees F
>>
>>1003884
>my 4 years of majoring in chemistry
>H20
>H-twenty
Right.
>>
>>1003976
I went to school for chemistry, not typing.
They don't make you take a typing test when you get a 4 year degree.
>>
>>999474
>weld with gasoline

Good for brazing at least:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blow_torch

Or, a generator and electric rig.
>>
>>1004020
No but it's pretty suspect that you'd use a zero instead of an o.

Fucking university these day, a degree mill and nothing more. All you were to them was a chequebook
>>
>>1004258
>two keys right next to each other on a standard US QWERTY keyboard.
>accidents don't exist

Alright ad-homi-man, everything I said is invalid because of a typographical error.

I don't know why that would be so suspect, you act like I said I was a ScD or PhD.
>>
>>1004266
Actually >>1003638 was right!
forgive my monolining but:

2C_2 H_2+5O_2→4CO_2+2H_2 O

for a mole fraction of 2/3 CO_2 when burning Acetylene.

C_3 H_8+7O_2→3CO_2+4H_2 O

for a mole fraction of 3/7 CO_2 when burning Propane.

which means that burning acetylene produces about 2.18 times more CO_2 for a given amount of oxygen. The difference being of course water.

So saying a similar amount of H_2 O is complete shit.
>>
>>1004339
whoops, meant to say 1.87 times more CO2 per given amount of oxygen.
>>
>>1004339
double whoops
I got in my own head and messed up the stoichiometry on the propane. it should be 5 CO2 so only 1.55 times the CO2 for a given oxygen and only 58% of the H2O.
>>
>>1004353
5O2*
damn, not my night.

Chemistry is a bitch in a word processor
>>
>>1004266
Sorry to have gotten under your skin, poindexter
>>
>>995353
I can literally do that with magnets.
>>
>>995353
I just buy used industrial torches and regulators then have them rebuilt if needed. I eventually learned to rebuild them myself but I still farm out oxygen regulators because a rebuild is little more than the cost of a kit and I can avoid having to clean crusty regs to "oxygen safe" status.

Ebay and welding forums are great sources for quality used gear. Of course I buy hose etc new.

You ain't kidding about the Dillon/Henrobs. Some people skeletonize them but I didn't find them as ergonomic as a conventional torch.

An OA torch is like a gun. Different makes and models have subtly different ergonomics, different tip styles and very different feels.

Victor are popular because they are common, and common because they are popular. :-)

Most major brand designs go back to the 1920s/1930s when OA was the main welding process, brazing was popular, and it was common to work in areas without convenient electric service.

I like ESAB (formerly Linde, L-tech, etc) and related brand Oxweld/Purox industrial torches the best with Smith second. ESAB quit broaching tip holes and drill them now so they are a bit less awesome. Smith are more conveniently available so better for those who aren't OA obsessed.

Victor offer a wide variety of regulators but their torches require overhaul more often. Parts and tips are available anywhere making them a good choice for most people. Concoa formerly Airco make nice gear but overhaul kits are few at retail and they don't IMO offer anything special. They are well made. Harris are decent. I'd rate them about even with Victor. Parts and tips are readily available.

For a versatile DIY outfit I recommend the Smith Toughcut. Throw the included googles in the trash immediately and wear a tinted face shield instead. You will be much more comfortable. These survived welding student abuse so if you care for them they'll last decades:

https://www.amazon.com/Torch-Oxy-Acetylene-Tough-Cut-Outfit/dp/B001AP13AU
>>
>>995401
I don't have a grand in forty-plus torches and regulators including multiple small "aircraft" torches. Agree Victor small J-series work well.

Hang out on weldingweb and share some pics!
>>
>>995456
>This is an odd fact of gas-welding torches: there are guys out there using the same torch their great-grandaddy did before WW1,

True, and the small acetylene cylinder designs still fit old automobile acetylene lighting systems!

Cylinders are retired at 100 years if they don't fail test first. I've had several old Linde cylinders stamped with a swastika (as a good luck symbol, they date before Nazism existed!) still serviceable.
Thread replies: 120
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.