[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
SLINGS
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3
File: IMG_20160513_131545.jpg (3 MB, 2992x4000) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160513_131545.jpg
3 MB, 2992x4000
I really really really like slings.

What's the best material I can make one out of?
The ones in pic related are made out of sisal; a natural plant fiber from an agave plant. Balleric slings are made out of this.
But I feel I can shoot harder with a fucking sling made out of yarn! Wtf?
Anyway, anyone likes slings?
>>
I made two recently just like your pic with the red rock. A short and a long.

Fun times, when i go camping this summer ill show some friends how to make and then throw shot in the woods.

Yarn makes sense because it has some stretch.
>>
>>994808
First thing that came to my mind was Paracord, because I have a ton of it laying around from when I was big into it.

I have no experience with slings though, and there isnt a whole lot of give in paracord.

Do it need a lot of give in the material?
>>
>>994866
No, not really. I believe paracord is usually the most popular material for 'modern' slings.
>>
File: DSC_0086.jpg (3 MB, 3920x2204) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0086.jpg
3 MB, 3920x2204
I've made a lot of slings last week and pretty much tested every "style of slings". IMO, a thick piece of soft leather does the job better than just string (with or without a woven "basket")

You can braid paracord for more strenght, 4 strands is just fine.
>>
>>994808
Good luck aiming that.
>>
Bumping thread, despite my skepticism, this is a neat idea, if a bit impractical.
>>
Funny you should mention slings, I made a few yesterday. Made a couple simple ones out of electrical tape and shoe laces... Then some of out leather and paracord.
>>
Obligatory:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RzDMCVdPwnE
I mad one pretty similar out of sisal a few months ago. Works pretty well and is fun to shoot but is really a bitch to aim. I need something around 50 stones to hit a head sized target 30m away.
>>
>>994982
>braid paracord for more strength
Nigga what the fuck kind of cheap monkey ass paracord do you buy? Proper paracord (one strand) should be unbreakable by human power alone.
>>
I like slings...
You can do one with anything you like, including shoelaces.
(I always like to imagine a bouncer telling me that I'm not allowed to enter in shoes, for I can make too dangerous weapon of my shoelaces)

Jokes aside, I found out the thinner the lines the better – you reduce drag.
I use a "micro cord". It's a 1.2mm rope/string sustaining 35kg; spinning anything over 80N (8kg) feels as if it would rip my arm out.
I don't get why one would need anything thicker.

The bad thing is that a sling has so big range that I can't play with it in my city.

>>995246
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RzDMCVdPwnE
This guy is wasting his power on spinning the sling... even with a heavy stone, no more than two spins are needed.
>>
>>996261
This aint paracord, just some lame ass string.
>>
You braid slings to make sure it doesn't twist while moving because then you lose power and accuracy. Paracord has a slight stretch that also causes inefficiency. Sisal is too crude and gets really "hairy" after some use, but that's alright for alot of people - kind of a bitch to use for long periods. "open slit" pouches reduces drag and increases accuracy, leather or braided-tight pouches does not. Anything organic and high quality that does not stretch will do the job just fine, OP.
>>
File: IMAG1659.jpg (2 MB, 2688x1520) Image search: [Google]
IMAG1659.jpg
2 MB, 2688x1520
Truckies line works pretty well. Or jute, if you want to go traditional.

I used to have such a knack for slinging. I was quite accurate back in the day. But now even with my best made sling all the rocks just fall out.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.