[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
what is that white knob(?) and why is it needed (it were in that
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 90
Thread images: 10
File: IMG_20160516_221517.jpg (2 MB, 3840x2160) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160516_221517.jpg
2 MB, 3840x2160
what is that white knob(?) and why is it needed (it were in that cable sock.
>>
making a portable Air-conditioner. and I'm currently extending a remote which (with that white knob)
>>
>>994389
>what is that white knob(?)
wire coupler
>and why is it needed
couples wires together. Have two wires, want them to become one wire? Wire coupler.
>>
>>994402
Also called a wire nut.
>>
>>994431
looks more like a crimped connection vs a wire nut
>>
>>994389
>what is that white knob(?) and why is it needed

its a shame that people today are so fucking stupid they dont know what a wire nut is..
>>
>>994446
If you pulled your head out of your ass you would have noticed that USA is one of the few places where these things are commonly used. The rest of the world prefers proper reliable connections and solders their shit.
>>
>>994450

these are used in other places besides the US you dumb fuck
>>
>what is that white knob(?)
I'll tell you what it is, it's utterly fucking illegal everywhere except in america. Nothing causes more housefires than wire nuts, to such an extent that everywhere has banned them for use in residential applications and insurance companies may check for them and raise your tariff in industrial uses.

I don't give a shit if the US tells me they're safe, they aren't. If you've any sense, use them only on low voltage.
>>
>>994473

>not safe

lol you dont see every house and busines in the US on fire because of these. you are a stupid fuck along with the other dumbfucks who say these things arent safe. this has to be a fuckin troll thread people cant be this fucking stupid
>>
>>994471
Like what, South Africa and Straya? Burgers, niggers and bogans. Way to go.

The only way to make a connection worse than using a wire nut is just rat-tailing it.
In places where housing isn't disposable and real voltage is used that shit is illegal.
>>
>>994450
No i dont think anywhere solders their mains electrical connections.
>>
Well I've taken apart a lot of different devices and never seen one in my life (I live in Sweden). Seems pretty retarded after reading up on it so I threw it away.
>>
>>994475
If you can't understand why loose intermittent connections aren't safe then maybe you're the fucking stupid one?
>>
>>994438
It is.
>>
>>994450
You don't solder mains.
>>
Not trying to fight, but if you don't use wire nuts to join mains voltage electrical connections, what do you use? I can't imagine someone soldering wiring in junction boxes. Legitimately curious.

Also, when installed properly, wire nuts are secure. When improperly installed they can become loose.
>>
>>994520
The problem is people thinking that wire nuts make loose intermittent connections.

>literally thinking that the poor wire nuts used 50 years ago are the same as used now
>pretending that wire blocks are any less dangerous if they come loose

But hey, the same exact people who defend having a hot tap and a cold tap in their sink.
Thats tradition!
>>
>>994450
Holy Jesus please forgive us for this faggot
>>
>>994473
>not safe
Any point where wires connect can be weak. I've had terminal block go bad, connectors, contactor connection points, yadda yadda. There is nothing that is perfect. Any good electrician gives wirenuts a good tug after applying them, then another quarter spin.
>>
So wirenuts are bad and you don't solder mains then what is the absolute securest way to splice cables?
>>
File: 20160517_121239.jpg (3 MB, 5312x2988) Image search: [Google]
20160517_121239.jpg
3 MB, 5312x2988
They are completele shit, illegal In Australia too. To the bloke that was curious we use screw connectors, nicknamed 'blue points'. America also wires there shit using solid core cable, yuck. For the application in op's pic, would proabbly use a crimp.
>>
>>994553
hot glue
>>
>>994554
>America also wires there shit using solid core cable

>paying more money for wires that are larger for the same payload, that are susceptible to corrosion, harder to terminate, and can fail at terminations
>>
This is why I love Diy, tons of insults and laughable garbage but you always get an answer. Stay classy
>>
>>994553
cut the whole mess out and replace it with one solid cable... but thats wildly impractical....
>>
File: 20150407170935_99856.jpg (8 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
20150407170935_99856.jpg
8 KB, 400x400
>>994559
People love to pretend that they are superior

The nanny state of the UK all outlets are illegal in a bathroom.
Did you know its against code to actually have a regular lightswitch in the bathroom there too?

Pullswitch lighting is the best!

Coding laws from 50 years ago sure are great arent they?
>>
>>994568
Yeah...no I went for the hot glue solution and self-vulcanising tape.
>>
File: image.jpg (12 KB, 400x250) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
12 KB, 400x250
It's clearly an end splice crimp terminal. I swear you idiots keep getting more stupid.
>>
>>994615
beat me to it.
what the fuck happened here?
>>
>>994554
>shitting on cheaper solid core
>wanting larger more expensive wires than needed
>>
>>994554
>tiny screws holding all your appliances power
No cunt
>>
>>994569
Tell me this is bullshit please
>>
>>994630
I feel dumb, I jumped on the wire nut bandwagon too
>>
>>994630
>what the fuck happened here?
Brake wiring on the train failed due to poorly installed wire nut - train wreck.
>>
>>994662
>wire nut
>on a mechanical hydraulic system

I mean its about as much of an argument as anyone else has made.
>>
>>994569
a 'regular' lightswitch is not against 'code' in a bathroom or anywhere else the uk but it must be outside any 'zones', if it's 60cm away from bath/shower/middle of basin then you are golden.

outlets are exactly the same

and they are not illegal. you wouldn't be arrested for breaking the rules. police would not be called.

if you break the rules then the work won't be signed off and you won't have a certificate when you sell your house. but literally nobody will care and nothing will happen. but if someone dies and they can prove it was your negligence (the rules are mostly sensible and there to protect rather than stifle) you might get fucked.

most electrician will not feel comfortable putting a non ip or ELV rocker switch or a bs1363 socket inside a bathroom because of the potential hazard. and do you know what? nobody minds.
>>
File: s-l1000.jpg (58 KB, 1000x563) Image search: [Google]
s-l1000.jpg
58 KB, 1000x563
>>994554
> Needing a screwdriver
>>
>>994484
>Straya? >The only way to make a connection worse . . . real voltage is used that shit is illegal
- pretty sure they don't meet any required standards in Australia : I think they're only sold in Bunnings and even then only for speaker-wires.
The only thing allowed here 'since for ever' is screw terminals.
For example If you buy a terminal-box it will always have a three [or four] screw-terminal inside it.
And I think Earth-wire soldering went-out in the 1970s , due to brittle-ness.
>>
>>994450
It really shouldn't take anything more than a critical eye to figure out what that thing is.
>>
>>994695
Soldering any wire in a fixed installation in Australia is legal however any insulation removed must be replaced or made better and the actual solder joint shall be supported so that the joint is not subject to mechanical stress. In addition the solder is only to hold the copper strands together, so the splice must be made in a way to give sufficient contact and mechanical strength and then the solder is added.
Soldering sub circuit earth's to the main earth conductor is legal and was common practice but no-one does it because electricians are lazy cunts and would rather do up a screw, I personally dislike soldered connections in a fixed installation. Best would be crimped lug with bolted connection.
>>
File: 1448004966554.jpg (24 KB, 510x348) Image search: [Google]
1448004966554.jpg
24 KB, 510x348
Or rat-tail that fucker to oblivion (it always works)
>>
>>994662
>poorly installed wire nut

Anything poorly installed will cause problems.
>>
>>994615
see
>>994438
>>
>>994665

do you think it just might be possible that perhaps the hydraulic system was controlled by electricity?
>>
also, it's called a screw terminal you swine
>>
>>994772
No hydraulic system is controlled by electricity without failsafes.
>>
>>994776
Probably built by dirty indians
>>
UK outlawed wire nuts because of the old ceramic ones that sucked. Plastic ones used now are perfectly safe if you're not retarded and/or living in a nanny state that over-regulates everything.
>>
>>994692
W A G O
A
G
O
>>
>>994553
Thermite weld everything.
>>
>>995446
Wouldn't that just incinerate the living fuck out of it?
>>
>this thread
>not splicing wires according to NASA standards and using plenty of shrink tube
Plebs
>>
>>995713
This
Also why would it be bad to solder mains, providing you use shrink tubing and provide stress relief if any dumb fucker comes around pulling cords?
>>
>>994473
In the last 50 years, there has never been a house fire in this area attributed to wire nuts. Where do these fires occur that these are supposedly so dangerous? Seriously, where are you getting your information because if I see studies that indicate a significant danger, I will stop using them.
>>
>>995716
These mongoloids are going off of the horror stories from almost 70 years ago when all wire nuts were made out of ceramic. They would break and could potentially cause a fire.

Instead of acknowledging that things change, they hold onto grudges because their grandfathers told them to.
>>
>>994536
Back in the old days they did, they didn't have wire nuts. you had a laddle of solder, some rubber tape and then you would put cloth tape around it.
My house was built in 61' and it was done this way, I also have a rental built in 56' that was also done this way. There's nothing wrong with it, and it's still permitted by code. If anything, it's a better connection, since wire nuts can come off if not done properly.
>>
>>994536
Why? Serious question, looked it up but couldn't find anything
>>
>>994569
s/are illegal/must have a built-in isolation transformer/

Do you hate safety or something? What possible benefit could there be to having an outlet you could spray a shower on? In case you need to use your microwave in the shower?
>>
>>995748
>What possible benefit could there be to having an outlet you could spray a shower on?

I forgot, yurp houses are the size of studio apartments, built in so close to each other you cant rebuild and are stuck with wiring and plumbing from the 30s.

>mfw you have a hot tap and a cold tap because you could catch the black plague from dead rats in your plumbing
>>
>>995750
Thermostatic fauced master race here
>inb4 britbongs will defend their dual tap
>>
>>994690
>60cm
That's totally reasonable... How the fuck did they manage that?
>>
>>995386
they aren't specifically outlawed its just nobody used them because they were shit.
professional electricians take pride in their work here and don't jam wires and cables in willy nilly higgelty piggelty they like to arrange them neatly and properly. you can't do that with wire nuts like you can with screw terminals or even the new push connectors where every wire has its own hole.

>>995714
>rovide stress relief
it wouldn't but good luck. soldering isn't considered mechanical strain relief. also you would have to carry an iron around with you and considering the size of mains wiring (especially US piddly low voltage = high current wires) you would need a proper iron.
Soldering along with crimps aren't required to be accessible for maintenance like screw terminals so you can bury them in walls if you wish.

>>995754
taps are thermostatic and mixers where you need them (kitchen sink, shower etc) you don't need mixers in a bath or basin so why install them there?

>>995776
it has been relaxed in recent editions, the rules used to be a little stricter. there are also weird things like you can have a socket in a cupboard within the 60cm but the cupboard has to be locked using a 'tool' (i.e. a key or a screwdriver or something). seems like they went out of their way to be helpful to people in bathrooms.
>>
>>995713
What kind of third world country are you living in that uses solid core for mains
>>
>>995830
Excuse me but I think you might just be retarded
What countries use solid core? Literally all of them below around 30A
>>
>>995802
>you don't need mixers in a...basin

Yeah 'cos I love scolding my hands when I try to wash them with just the hot tap.

Seriously, I'm a bong and not having mixer taps is just fucking retarded. It isn't 1947 any more.
>>
>>995846
Why do you have your water set so hot as to burn you then you mongo.
>inb4 poorfag has a hot water storage tank.
Alternatively try not being such a little bitch
>>
Speaking of shit and water, Is it still legal to use asbestos pipes in the US and UK?
>>
>>995839
Not when you're putting them in the wall you poofter. Those are mains. From the wall, the cords are stranded, but not in the damn wall.

http://diy.stackexchange.com/questions/5901/why-are-homes-wired-using-solid-wire-rather-than-stranded
>>
in this thread... morons not using knob and tube master race.
>>
>>994473
>low voltage
is burgerland 120v low voltage?
because literally every socket in my house uses wirenuts and they just werk
>>
>>995711
if you use small amounts of it carefully, I suppose it could work
>>
>>996406
Also the hassle of creating termite
>>
>>996405
To the lineman anything below 500v is low voltage.
I've also never seen a bad wirenut in my life.
And op's pic isn't a wirenut, the anon is a weekend warrior that doesn't know his ass from his hole in the ground.

To anon electricians, I think they generally consider 12v and under low voltage? Some guys even shit their pants at 50v.
>>
>>997407
What's that in op's pic IF not a wirenutt?
>>
>>997407
It's a fucking ceramic wirenut - they were superb but don't see them now except in older properties.
>>
>>997549
Actually I'm wrong - it's a plastic covered crimp terminal. Does the same thing as a wirenut though.
>>
>>997549
>>997551
>not reading the thread
That made me kek, thanks.
>>
>>997407
Low voltage is closer to 1kv
Extra low is ~50
USA electrical code is the only one that puts>50v as high voltage.
These are only supply system classifiers but why do you need anything else.
>>
>>994438
Nice observation, had to take a second look myself
>>
>>994450
Found the /g/ranpa
>>
>>994542
Da fuk? Is this in a residential home?
>>
>>994554
Haha wtf. That looks dodgy AF. Bulky too
>>
>>994555
This guy knows his shit. All others gtfo
>>
>>997745
God gave them to us and their awesome so stfu!
>>
saw that a "hot air gun" costs only around 30$, might that not be one of the most effective ways to isolate?
>>
>>994446
dude no one knows shit outside of tradesmen.
people call plumbers just to in unclog a p-trap.
>>
>>998286
>people call plumbers just to in unclog a p-trap.
And ur mother calls me just to unclog her Moria cave
>>
>>996402
kek. that feeling when you go up in the attic and see bare wires running everywhere.
>>
>>998364
Oh my what kind of shitty burrow so you live in?
Thread replies: 90
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.