[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is it possible to rewire sata cable into usb so i wouldn't
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 5
Is it possible to rewire sata cable into usb so i wouldn't have to buy adapter. If so can 2.5 5400rpm hdd run with the power provided by the usb to sata cable or will i have to use external power supply.
pic kinda related
>>
>>994345
2.5s can run done off of those cables with no external power. More of a /g question
>>
File: pic_disp.jpg (49 KB, 750x646) Image search: [Google]
pic_disp.jpg
49 KB, 750x646
>>994352
but can i snap usb cable and sata cable then connect them correctly to make adapter?
thats the /diy/ part
>>
>>994360
no
>>
>>994365
mind if i ask why not?
since the ones bought from shops doesn't seem to have anything else than rewiring done, am i right?
>>
>>994366
I'm sure it's possible but you would need to find the pin out probably from taking apart an already working adapter.
>>
>>994366
>am i right?
you are wrong.
>>
>>994367
so its possible but i would have to guess the right pins. usb cable has 4 wires while sata has 8 it seems, so what are the chances those 4 white ones are the correct ones >>994360

>>994369
got any suggestions? i have eee pc which has only one 2.5 slot and i need to connect another hdd
>>
>>994366
>since the ones bought from shops doesn't seem to have anything else than rewiring done
Except that they contain a USB to SATA controller too.
>>
>>994377
ok, i just don't see it fitting inside that small space
>>
>>994379
What you could do is try to find a external 2.5 drive with a USB interface that have the USB controller directly on the drive PCB, i know there are 3.5 inch drives like this, but have never seen a 2.5 inch one.
>>
>>994381
no luck
>>
The S Ata HDD need Vcc and Data cable. So i think it is imposible if only use a single USB cable. I think it still needs a power from the power suply.
>>
>>994395
no this will never work, you've been told plenty of times now. Sata uses two data channels where usb uses only one, not to mention the fact that they are two completely different protocols. The ones you claim are direct usb to sata connections either do not work or have a chip in the plug. Also, USB by itself does not have enough power to power any sort of HDD
>>
>>994401
>USB by itself does not have enough power to power any sort of HDD
None of my 2.5" external drives have a external power supply, they all run on USB power.
>>
>>994345

eBay: 2.5" USB 2.0 or 3.0 external hdd case with cable for less than $5 USD. free shipping.
>sometimes not diy is cheaper and better
>>
>>994401
A USB 3.0 port can power most modern 2.5" HDDs.

Full size drives, yeah, you'll need an external power supply.
>>
>>994379
You think the sata part of the cable in OP's pic is so big because chinks like wasting plastic?>>994366
>>994367
USB and SATA are totally different. The physical layer is different, the protocols are different. Just read about one. then the other until you understand that you can't just smash them together.
>>
File: 5.jpg (57 KB, 470x271) Image search: [Google]
5.jpg
57 KB, 470x271
>>994379
>i just don't see it fitting inside that small space

We have these things called "microprocessors" now. They can be smaller than your fingernail!
>>
I dont know, that is possible rewireing sata but you will have to deliver Power via external supply
>>
Since you won't listen OP, just wire the USB wires in this order from left to right on the hard disk sata pins: red green white black
>>
>>994710
This poster speaks truth. You can buy a 2.5" data to USB for $5 on eBay. A 3.5" is about the same but u need an additional 12v supply at extra cost.
>>
>>994736
Sata* - fucking autocorrect
>>
>>994736
You can just use an old PSU for that
>>
File: A670_1_20150817514090023[1].jpg (63 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
A670_1_20150817514090023[1].jpg
63 KB, 640x480
>>994345
The pic you used is for a cable available on Amazon for $8

Here is a similar cable with double USB power for older, power hungry drives for $2.61 shipped free.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA67038S7259

At this price, why would you even try to DIY?
>>
>>994739
He might not have one plus the hard disk power supplies I bought off ebay were about $3 delivered.
>>
>>994722
op here i'm not the one posting, i just bought old adapter from my pal
>>
>>994679
>>994404
Not USB by itself. Sata needs a 12v rail so there's some sort of transformer in there somewhere
>>
File: USB2SATAIDE.Main[1].jpg (27 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
USB2SATAIDE.Main[1].jpg
27 KB, 600x600
>>994345
I use one of these all the time. Sometimes for data recovery sometimes for just moving bits around to different devices. If you are a serious computerer I don't know why you wouldn't have one.
>>
>>994800
Yeah, they have a boost module to get the 12V, and a microprocessor to convert between SATA and USB protocols on the data pins, both of which can fit easily into the SATA end of the cable.
>>
>>994800
>Sata needs a 12v rail so there's some sort of transformer in there somewhere
2.5" drives are 5v only.
3.5" drives are 12v + 5v.
>>
>>994719
Why do you have to be a douche about it. This guy thought he could rewire his own cable, just tell him there is a tiny controller in one end. And to be honest you could make your own controller, it wouldn't be practical but it would teach a novice a lot. That's all.
>>
>>994679
USB 2.0 can power 2.5 drives on the single cable as well.
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.