[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Kodi Service
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2
File: thumbnail-light-300x300.png (21 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
thumbnail-light-300x300.png
21 KB, 300x300
So does anyone use Kodi? Had a coworker rant and rave about it since he discovered it last month and when I eventually rebuild my system I was going to go Plex. However he's telling me this offers more with open source, web access, customizable "smart folders" and extensions for specific things (about anything anyone could want so he says).

Just wanted to see if anyone here's tried it?
>>
i use it a lot, it has great functionality
>>
i use it.
but just for shits and giggles...
you should ask /g/
>>
Ausfag here. My adsl2+ has slowed to the point where I can no longer watch Netflix (fuck you Telstra). Enter Kodi with the Exodus add-on. Now I can download overnight and watch when I want. Have it runnin on PC, android phone, tv box and macbook. will probably also load it on the ipad via the macbook.

Fucking awesome.

It's virus free and free - try it!
>>
I personally like plex. I haven't used Kodi since it was xbmc though. If you didn't know, xbmc renamed to kodi.

I have a pretty sweet auto setup using showrss.info, qbittorrent, filebot, and plex. I select shows i want on the showrss site, and set the rss festure to auto download in qbittorrent. All my TV torrents are automatically downloaded to my pc's ssd. (I have 1gig/sec Internet and was maxing out regular disks). From the ssd, it's picked up by a filebot script that is set to run after every completed torrent. This script polls imdb (and others) to properly name the media. Then it is moved into organized folders in my NAS that runs my plex server. Then once the move is complete, the script tells plex to refresh it's library since I added new content. I take it a step further and have my phone sync with plex over lte when it can. (I travel a lot and am in and out of service daily.)

Total time from the episode being aired to being on my phone (assuming decent lte or wifi) is around 2 hours. Time from qbittorrent seeing the rss update to phone sync, is about 20 min.
Most of which is plex optimization of the media for my phone.
>>
Kodi is fantastic, I want to cum inside it. Arctic Zephyr best skin, Quasar best torrent streamer, Yatse best remote. And it's all free, fuck Plex.
>>
>>994287
>If you didn't know, xbmc renamed to kodi.
and Plex was a Kodi fork, thus also xbmc derived?

Was making same choice as OP, dunno that much about either (got stuck at NAS building) - but seems to be:

Plex = win10 (proprietary, costs ca$h, uses offboard servers) - but widely supported, easy to setup/use.
Kodi = Linux (free, flexible, endlessly piss-aboutable-with, no offboard proprietary cloud crap) - but more complex to setup/use

From that, would seem Kodi is the clear /diy/ winner - only reason was considering plex as app etc. for Samsung Smart TV - how useful that is, dunno.

As said, got any of that wrong, feel free. But no interest in shilling either, easier-to-use maybe indeed a word.
>>
I run it on a fireTv that I was given for free. Much nicer than having to keep my second computer next to my TV in the living room.

I like the Veetle app because it just plays all the time and then I don't have to bother trying to find a show/episode that I want to watch.

I quit torrenting years back because I don't follow any shows or movies very closely and the ones I do watch are popular enough to just stream.
>>
Install emby, sickrage, couch potato, transmission-daemon on a nas/torrent box. Install kodi on htpc, phone or whatever. install emby add-on for kodi.
Then you can stream from a central media server to kodi while keeping track of watched movies/shows on any device you own.
>>
Thanks all. From what I gather Kodi seems to be approved (and I will ask /g/ as well. I'm not sure what I'll load it on at the moment, but worst case scenario I can always piggy back on my chrome-cast to interact with the TV.
>>
NEVER use the latest build. Few of the things I need are compatible with jarvis.
>>
>>994264

I run Kodi on a FireTV

I have a server with about 1500 hours of movies and TV shows all in 1080p or higher. It automatically finds the cover and media information if you store it on the source in a relatively neat fashion.

My only gripe is it has issue with VC-1 encoded content which I ended up encoding the limited amount I have over to h.264

Basically it just works I dump new media in it finds it and I watch TV shows and movies every day for the past 3 years
>>
I use it to stream files from my NAS to my Amazon Fire TV. I like it, and it works better than Plex because it plays the file locally on the device. Plex transcodes everything and that compromises video quality and doesn't appeal to my autism as much.
>>
I have kodi installed on a raspberry pi with the OSMC OS.

I have the tavaddons.ag package installed on top which gives lots of packages including salts, exodus, ukturk, lots of others.
>>
>>994264
I prefer plex, but Kodi is great too.
>>
>>994295

>Plex = win10 (proprietary, costs ca$h, uses offboard servers)

no, and no, and no. Plex will run on win7, win8, win10, win server 08 and 12, and will also run on many linux and unix systems. You also don't need a dedicated player as it will run html5 right in your browser when you connect to the server. You host your own servers, plex.tv is only a quick way to redirect to your own server. You can connect via direct IP, and even insert your own SSL keys(like I did) so that you avoid using plex's own generated keys, or their own website keys.
>>
>>995630
plex only transcodes what it needs to. If the device can play it natively, plex streams it as a data stream for the device to play directly. you can tweak these settings. If its picking it up as a DLNA server, then even kodi will transcode.
>>
>>994264

I run plex on my firetv (app was free at the time). I converted my xbmc machine to plex at the same time. (Kodi might be better but I was always fucking around with xbmc. I don't want to fuck around with the server.) It's so simple even my wife can use it.

I'm pretty stoked that I only need one remote/interface/device to access amazon prime, netflix and plex. It's hard to beat the firetvs remote, although voice search only searches amazon prime.
>>
File: Mauritania.jpg (29 KB, 357x550) Image search: [Google]
Mauritania.jpg
29 KB, 357x550
>>994264
Got an android phone? Try it now?
>>
I have it installed on an i3 NUC* I use as a media PC / torrent server. I got a HDMI CEC adapter so I could use my TV remote to control it (I recommend the USB one - the internal ones are a PITA to install), but the Kore / Yatse android apps work perfectly fine too.

Would definitely recommend over Plex - the ecosystem is way larger.

* The i3 is overkill - even 1080p video with 10-bit colour (i.e. not hardware accelerated) won't push it past 25% CPU.
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.