[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Trying to extract a bolt with stripped head from alternator chain
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1
File: IMG_20160516_151623302.jpg (2 MB, 3264x1836) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160516_151623302.jpg
2 MB, 3264x1836
Trying to extract a bolt with stripped head from alternator chain guard. I first tried with impact driver but the head was too far gone. Then I thought to use screw extractor, but the bolt is so small I can only fit the smallest one in my set, and it's end is so small (and the bolt so tight) that if I try to grab it with pliers or adjustable wrench it just slips. Any ideas? Makes me wonder why they don't sell wrench with the extractors that would have heads that fit the extractors...
>>
>>994244
the head looks fat enough for vise grips to dig into
>>
six inch pipe wrench
or weld a nut onto it

next time you're using an impact screwdriver make sure you use a bit that fuckin fits and isn't all chewed up and twisted from a previous job.

and while i'm being mad af, don't use ez-outs on seized fasteners for fuck's sake. they're for threads that turn freely but can't be gripped, like if you sheared a bolt through fatigue, or reamed out a grub screw.
>>
>>994251
No welding equipment. I did use correct bit but the head was already little damaged so that was the result. I did manage to get the bolt out, bought vise grips and grabbed the extractor with that.
>>
>>994274
Could try JB welding something on the end, or get out the dremel with cut disks and mill a X into it
>>
>>994275

>cut disks and mill a X into it

single line to use a flat head to simple?
>>
You don't have skill. Ask machine shop for help.
>>
>>994275
>>994425
This never works, you end up trying to turn the head and it splits off leaving you fucked even harder.
>>
>>994244
You drill off the head.
>>
>>994244
Tap holder.
Thats what you use with screw extractors.
>>
Kek, this is why i have a few different left hand taps and a few left hand threaded bolts

As long as the bolt is at least flush it'll come right out
>>
>>994275
>get out the dremel
>>994425
why do you people always want to try and compromise the structural integrity of the middle of the head, you know, where the shaft is?
IF its your ONLY option then you grind flats on the OUTSIDE of the head and put a spanner on it. but soak it a few times in penetrating spray first.
also tightening it up a little first can help to crack the bonds on the threads and loosen it up.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.