[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hi /diy/, I'm interested in building myself a plasma ark
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 5
File: maxresdefault.jpg (96 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
96 KB, 1280x720
Hi /diy/,

I'm interested in building myself a plasma ark speaker, but I'm a still rather new to diy.

I've done the basics like building my dad a 2ch usb powered speaker for his birthday, and soldering my own micro USB cables, but I don't know enough to follow schematics and stuff.

My family owns a pc repair shop, so I have access to cheap or dead atx and laptop power supplies for components.

Will I need anything extra?
Anyone know any super easy noob friendly guides?
>>
get ready to burn / explode some large package transistors
> magic smoke? alligator clips? what are heatsinks?
its pretty advanced stuff cause of high power
look up someone else who has done and use their schematic. build it like they do and listen to their considerations
https://www.google.com/search?q=plasma+speaker+schematic
>>
>>994095
>but I don't know enough to follow schematics and stuff.

Please stop. That's like saying you can't follow instructions by Ikea. Also "i don't know enough about x" is a shitty mentality to have if you want to learn a trade. If you don't know something, you look it up. You look up schematics, other people's experiences, order parts, put everything together on a breadboard, test and then solder onto a either a custom PCB or a prototyping board.
>>
>>994095
>Will I need anything extra?
The main component of every plasma speaker is a flyback transformer, they can be obtained from old CRT TVs and monitors. Also a power supply of 12 volts or higher and 3 amps or higher.
Anyone know any super easy noob friendly guides?
Not that I recall, but the easiest circuit you'll find with decent performance is the 555 based one, I'll post the schematic when I get home.

I highly recommend you try to play with discrete components and learn to interpret schematics before trying this, it is a very dangerous project.
>>
>>994095
>pic
Is that half of a plasma window I see?
>>
>>994259
>12v 3a
That's easy, pretty much any cheapo atx power supply can offer triple that, and I have a 12v laptop charger too that is 4 or 5a iirc.

Will any old flyback transformer work?

BSC25-T1010A flyback transformer for CRT television
http://s.aliexpress.com/2uUjQ3YV
(from AliExpress Android)

>>994322
Here's the link
https://youtu.be/J-VVNiJ3OJA

>>994149
I can learn.
>>
Ehh, explain how you're going to ensure your safety first.
>>
>>994701
Why would I care about that?
>>
>>994095
fuck man
now i'm itching to build one
can someone tell me its beyond my capabilities
>>
>>994770
Nope. It'll be a super cool thing to have since it also fluctuates with the music.

Build one
>>
>>994095
Thanks for the idea anon, I never knew this was possible!
>>
Ozone
>>
far too elaborate way to kill yourself.
>>
File: plasmaspeaker_schematic_v11.jpg (45 KB, 620x461) Image search: [Google]
plasmaspeaker_schematic_v11.jpg
45 KB, 620x461
>>994462
Sorry, I forgot about you, here's the schematic I promised, this is probably one of the best designs.
>Will any old flyback transformer work?
Yes, those more modern ones come encapsulated in epoxy and have an internal output diode to ensure you only get DC, they can also withstand overloading pretty well.

Here's a test of that circuit, the power supply I used for that test was a piece of crap, but even with little power the sound volume and quality was pretty good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=baPeFfeRHbM

Here's an instructable I made about how to make a high voltage power supply using a TV flyback, it covers how to use those transformers in depth.

http://www.instructables.com/id/50000V-High-Voltage-Power-Supply/
>>
>>995315
Thanks, I'll give this a try
>>
>>994095
>I don't know enough to follow schematics and stuff.
>My family owns a pc repair shop
SMDH
>>
>I don't know how to follow schematics
Buy pic related from somewhere and make a few projects using only the schematics. The manual will have projects and list 2-3 different ways of making a circuit. Different projects will also help explain what parts of the circuit will do different things.
>>
>>995315
I'm pretty sure 555's pin 3 isn't meant to be connected to that 330p capacitor.
>>
File: schemeit-project (1).png (40 KB, 1237x642) Image search: [Google]
schemeit-project (1).png
40 KB, 1237x642
>>994095
I built one for a class project this semester. Here's the schematic I used. I originally tried to build the one from the "reliable plasma speaker" instructable, but the output diodes in any flyback transformer I could get my hands on made it so that his design couldn't work.
>>
>>996929
one more thing: that 1N5378 is there to dissipate extra power, because the output diode makes it possible to saturate the core of the flyback. This makes it so that the FET blows up. This is bad. Unfortunately, the 1N5378 was burning up (it was being forced to take more than 5 watts), so I threw in the 19 and 22 ohm resistors to try and limit the current. Resistance had to be low, otherwise sound level would drop. 19 was too much resistance to get a spark, so I threw another one in parallel to halve it, which worked. There's a better way to design this, I'm sure.
>>
File: index.jpg (66 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
index.jpg
66 KB, 800x600
>>995315
Not Op, but I am building this circuit aswell, had to order the mosfet from china though so it may take a while.
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.