[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Cooling system for my computer
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 3
File: 17mbtbxiuunpfpng.png (176 KB, 400x405) Image search: [Google]
17mbtbxiuunpfpng.png
176 KB, 400x405
So i want to build a cooling using a refridgerators compressor, using a fpga or a micro-controller i will develop a control system that will regulate the temprature based on the feed-back.
>>Help me get started
>>what would i need
>> what prerequisite knowledge and skills do i nee to aquire
>>some sites and books that could help me
>>
>>993889
That one looks pretty good, use that.
>>
>>993889
Computer engineer here, your project is completely pointless.
The whole point of cooling is to keep the chips in a certain temperature range and this can easily be achieved with air or water cooling.
There is no point in going below some temperature, so unless you live in an oven, a compressor is fairly pointless.

However if you insist on it, you're going to need:
>Microcontroller
just use an Arduino
>Temperature Sensor
Either a Thermistor + adc or a microchip, refer to https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_temperature_sensors
>Motor controller
You may be able to scavenge one from the fridge. Be advised that a fridge will likely use a 230/110 Volt AC motor, so buy the correct part.

And that's it. Hook the motor controller and temperature sensor to the microcontroller and load a simple program that adjusts the power to the motor according to the temperature.

If you are content with just an on/off switch, you can do without a microcontroller altogether. Just ask if you have more questions.
>>
>>993925
op here
people have gone to extents of cooling using liquid nitrogen so a compressor would definitely not be an overkill( I am going to use it duing overclocking).
plus i am repurposing a fridge compressor.
i think i might need knowledge of welding and coupling for the pipes, and some knowledge of thermodynamics and the physical properties of gasses.
My major concerns are what dangers and precautions should i be aware of.
>>
>>993942
Liquid nitrogen cooling is only used for extreme overclocking, not for everyday use. Watercooling with a radiator is perfectly fine for everyday use.
Welding definitely won't be necessary, but soldering might be useful.
As for the dangers, you should be aware that you're working with high pressures and potentially flammable liquids.
As long as you avoid any leaks, you'll be fine.
>>
>>993925
>There is no point in going below some temperature, so unless you live in an oven, a compressor is fairly pointless.

It's not. As far as overclocking goes, colder is better up until you go so low the semiconducting properties of the silicon and oxides in the chip give out, and the whole shit just crashes.

But that doesn't happen until you get REALLY cold, obviously. There are some other things that can cause problems at higher temperatures than that required to inadvertently turn parts of the chip into superconductors, but those don't happen until well under -100°C.

Also don't quote me on this, but I believe most phase-change CPU coolers just run full-tilt all the time. The heat load a CPU presents is substantial, compared to the bit of heat that leaks through a refrigerator's insulation.

Be mindful, however, of condensation. That pipe insulation in your pic isn't so much to keep heat out as much as it is to keep moisture from collecting and dripping all over your stuff.
>>
>>993889
Where are you going to put your condenser, evaporator, and your expanse valve?

Gonna reuse those from your fridge too?

Also I guess you dont realize that you are incapable of cobbling this shit together and then actually charging it with freon. This is a retarded idea.
>>
>>993959
One word : condensation.

Do not cool your components below the dew point if you want them to survive over the long term.
>>
>>993889
put computer into mini-fridge.

"using a refrigerator compressor" done

"develop a control system that will regulate the temprature based on the feed-back. " so...temperature knob. done.
>>
This is a doomed project. OP doesn't have enough knowledge to work out the kinks beforehand, and there will be A LOT of kinks. Has OP even done water cooling? That used to be a risky mod with the chances of leakage.
>>
>>993889
a standard fridge is only like sub 100w. tdp on a performance system is over 140w. you would need an expensive compressor to do this effectively.
>>
>>994169
this
>>
>>994175
that what i want to be aware of, what kinks should i lookout for
>>
>>993889

FPGA for a fucking temperature control? Dude learn your basic electronics. If you think you need an FPGA for temperature control you seriously have no idea what you are doing. A compressor alone wont do shit. Do you even understand how a fridge works? Have you counted the FPGAs in your fridge, are you sure one is enough?
>>
>>994175
this.
compressors need radiators.
they work with high pressure and you have to solder all the joints
have you thought about condensation ?
>>
hvac anon here, you will need to do massive online research, or take a 1 to 2 year collage course to understand how this works, i have a evga sr-2 with dual xeons cooled with freon 410(a), it was a bitch to set up and has never really been useful at all, both cpus sit at 32c, and my whole board is covered in condensation (7 layers of tent tarp sealant did the job so no shorting out) good luck, enjoy trying to braze a heat sink without warping the copper like a retard
>>
>>994196
Plus, fridge compressors will overheat if you run them continuously. They're designed to run only for a few minutes out of every hour.
>>
I would recommend to use water cooling and cool the water with the fridge. Its much easier this way and you can regulate the temp by setting the fridge to a specific temp.
Just build a water cooling systen into your pc and put a tank of water into the fridge and then make sure the water flows through the tank in the fridge
>>
>>993889
Built my own a few years back, r410a chiller to -32c for CPU and GPU. Haven't used it in years. I would just recommend getting a normal liquid cooling system, no real need to hunt for that last mhz in overclocking.
>>
File: 1463277689094.jpg (112 KB, 445x503) Image search: [Google]
1463277689094.jpg
112 KB, 445x503
>>993925
>motor controller from fridge
>arduino
>being this fucking stupid
just leave
>>
Why is op even doing this? Just to be a badass? I mean, good for you if you wanna do it for the sake of it, but if we're talking daily gaming machine, all this would be quite overkill and quite retarded. If op just wants more horsepower for rendering or such, nevermind overclocking, just buy a bunch of used dual socket xeon rigs on ebay to use as render slaves.

OP, if you have never even done basic water cooling, start there before you commit to this project.
>>
If you want to have a stable operating temp get peltier coolers and do FID control with an arduino. Seems overkill-y though usually a few fans and water cooling if you're into the whole gaming bit will do.
>>
>>996732
400 bucks netted me a socket 1366 board, two xeon 5650s, half a dozen fans and an EATX case. Cheaper than dealing with a compressor and requisite mechanical components as well as the tubing and whatnot, to say nothing of labor.
>>
>>993889
issue i'd worry about using a compressor is condensation inside the tower which could cause a short.
>>
>>995100
Yo dude, post some pics! You can't just leave us imagining such a thing !
>>
>>995318
Pics pics pics!!
>>
It's no longer worth it, transistor sizes became so small that they die before you can feed them enough volts to need subzero cooling. You can still do suicide runs with LN2 but phase change is no longer worthwhile long term unless you have access to components built with super conductors.
>>
>>995318
>tfw stored in the garage for ~6 years

A vapochill unit and chiller with two step phase change (small & large unit). I'd give it you to mess around with, but I'm guessing you are not in Sweden.
>>
File: IMAG0188.jpg (664 KB, 1840x3264) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0188.jpg
664 KB, 1840x3264
>>996981
>forgetting the pic
>>
>>996982
Not in sweden but thanks for your generous offer :)
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.