[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Robotics Kits
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1
Anyone know much about starter robotics kits?

I'm an undergrad mechatronics engie looking to start on my own projects and dont want to have to order pieces and pieces individually. Does anyone here have any recommendations for a good kit?
>>
>>993560
Just pick up a Mindstorms kit. You can reflash them to run on LUA, and it's all lego, so it's easy to get parts.
>>
>>993560
I've found it easier to get what you need when you need it. That way you don't waste your money on crap you don't need.

It's even more awesome when you can make the parts you need, esp any metalwork or etc.

I could second the lego idea too. They're always fun and handy.

As far as kits go, what are you looking to accomplish right off hand?
>>
>>993581
Honestly I just want some experience programming + Designing. I'm interested in making some kind of robot that does something..."cool" and not insignificant. Can even be a robotic arm.

I have access to a water jet cutter and I can design the shit myself, that might be smart. Any ideas for where I can get all the misc parts/electronics?
>>
>>993582
>I have access to a water jet cutter and I can design the shit myself, that might be smart. Any ideas for where I can get all the misc parts/electronics?

This is a great portfolio-worthy project that will teach you a hell of a lot more than building a hardware kit.

To get started, you will need
>Raw material, machined
>Fixtures & Hardware (bearings, wheels...)
>Microcontroller
>Encoder Motors and/or servos (depending on application)
>Battery & Power supply electronics (voltage regulators, etc)
>Motor controllers like H-Bridge
>Sensors (per application)

If this is your "hello world" robot, I recommend using a robot controller kit which will already include the microcontroller, power supply electronics, and motor controllers (along with easy-to-use headers for sensors and other stuff). There are also Arduino and Arduino-like "shields" and expansion boards for robotics.

Some of the babby-tier robots used in introductory uni courses are:

Sumo robot: tape big circle or square on ground, have two robots inside each trying to push each other out. Use optical sensors on the bottom to detect if you're on or crossing the boundary line. Good intro to mobile robotics.

Manipulator: any "arm" design with a particular application in mind. Four-bar linkages are a good way to go for your first attempt, they are mechanically simple and map to well-defined controls needing only 2 servos. Aside from a traditional "arm," you can have a robotic linkage that holds a marker and draws on paper, etc. This is a good intro to "CNC"-like robotics and industrial robotics.
>>
>>993582
>Any ideas for where I can get all the misc parts/electronics?
I buy my parts online.

Materials, mechanical parts, hardware: McMaster-Carr or MSC Supply

Electronic parts (components): Digi-Key or Mouser

More complex kit parts: Adafruit, Sparkfun, or another "robot shop" kind of vendor. Usually you pay a premium over raw components but it might be worth it.

If you want to design your own PCBs, start with breadboard/perfboard and transition to something like Eagle or ExpressPCB.
>>
>>993586
>>993585
Wow, you've got a lot of valuable info, thank you so much

Do you mind if I talked to you more on skype/steam/email or something?
>>
>>993595
>Do you mind if I talked to you more on skype/steam/email or something?
uh, sure, post me your email and I'll message you?
I don't have skype or steam, unfortunately.
>>
>>993601
Yeah sure, heres a junk ill send you my real email when you msg it [email protected]
>>
not trying to advertise for a store, but ive gotten a lot of parts and advice from superdroidrobots.
(just google it)
They're maybe an hour away from me and they're really knowledgeable.

I just graduated with electronics/computer engineering degree, and for my final project I made pretty much a fancy basic remote control car and added onto it. 4wd (which i advise against unless you REALLY want to work with it) Added some sensors and a camera and made a really simple remote control for it.

I really wanted to do more starting out. But it was fun, it helped me learn a lot. I have a better base now to build more things off of.

For wireless I can't suggest the NRF24L01+ transceiver enough. Can get a pair for only a few dollars and they work really well for what they are. I think i got a pack of 10 for $7-something on amazon.

Just get a assortment of sensors and motors and play with them is the broadest advice I can give. PIR, ultrasonic, hell even limit switches make good bump sensors on small robots.

Also, "marlin p jones and associates / MPJA" was some random hole-in-the-wall type store i found. Not a huge selection, but they have good deals on random bits. It's almost like a thrift store or yardsale for electronics and bits.

Still say you should build one yourself, like the other anon said, good portfolio project. I've been debating putting mine in a resume or portfolio somehow for when i hopefully get a more adult job soon.
Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.