[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Im going to be sending out themed mail to someone and i want
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 6
File: ngbbs50376cd87d335.jpg (23 KB, 520x390) Image search: [Google]
ngbbs50376cd87d335.jpg
23 KB, 520x390
Im going to be sending out themed mail to someone and i want the box to look like its been passed around for a few years before it got to them.

How do i make it look old and worn?

Its going to be a regular box wrapped with brown paper, tied, and sealed with wax but i dont want it to look new.
>>
You can make the paper look older by dragging a wet teabag over it and then drying it on the heater.
The more you repeat this the older the paper will look.
Furthermore you should follow your pic.
Add some kind of seal, some rope, handwritten etc.
>>
>>993418
You can also use coffee instead of tea.

Try also crumbling and straightening the paper a few times. A light sanding with fine sandpaper could also create a worn down effect, especially if the box is made of cardboard.
>>
>>993418
>>993421
These help.

Also what should the packing material in the box be, shredded paper?

This is a surprisingly hard subject to research on.
>>
>>993424
Shredded paper could work but I would recommend wood chips.
>>
>>993424
Shredded newspaper ideally. Don't include any dates :P Do the tea/vinegar/coffee treatment before shredding for ultimate oldness factor.

Also, instead of sandpaper, use steel wool. Should give it that worn fuzzy look. Especially on the corners.
>>
File: p.jpg (248 KB, 1408x1056) Image search: [Google]
p.jpg
248 KB, 1408x1056
This all helps, but what about stamps?
Its going to be shipped in another box but i still dont think finding rubber postal stamps would be easy, real or fake.
>>
>>993455

there's thousands of stamps on ebay. Just search for "rubber postage stamp". Worst case scenario, you can get one custom made in China, they don't give a shit what design is on it as long as you pay.
>>
File: stamps.jpg (150 KB, 1200x473) Image search: [Google]
stamps.jpg
150 KB, 1200x473
>>993455
They're actually pretty common, used a lot by people who do scrapbooking and greeting card crafting, just search amazon or wherever for 'postmark stamp' or check out local craft stores.
>>
>>993461
>>993458
well fuck me then, thanks.
>>
>>993424

The cedar "mats" from an evaporative cooler looks a lot like the very similar product ("Excelsior") once used as shipping padding in the middle 20'th century.
>>
>>993455
Yeah. Just go to Michaels or what every craft store are nearby and check their rubber stamp displays. I got a Trekkie one where you can add your own stardate and whatnot.
>>
File: B5BJlhuCMAExNa5.jpg (49 KB, 600x450) Image search: [Google]
B5BJlhuCMAExNa5.jpg
49 KB, 600x450
>>993417
Use USPS, they'll do the work for you!
>>
>>993589

I had one worse than that when I shipped a laptop to Germany and it had to be returned to me because of a bad address. It legitimately had tread marks from a tire on the package. All the corners were busted open and they didn't even bother taping them back. The x200 thinkpad still worked though...
>>
>>993417
>how to make it look old an warn.

use craft paper wrapping, then ship with FedEx. they will do it for you.
>>
>how to make it look old and worn
best way is to stick it in a chamber with extremely high oxygen content

That'll age the shit out of anything, even people *assuming they live*
>>
>>993676
link related
http://cool.conservation-us.org/byorg/abbey/an/an21/an21-2/an21-208.html
>>
>>993417
if its a box, saturate one ege with coffee or some shit and then dry it.
>>
>>993417
Stains (tea or coffee), package dents/creases, multiple postage stamps and their corresponding rubber stamps.

Stained string instead of tape.
>>
if you want the package to actually get there I'd advise you to pack it properly and quit trying to be cute.
>>
>>993803
fuck off dude, seriously. way to destroy a fun idea.
>>
>>993803
its going in another box
>>
>>993803
Fuck off with your bitterness somewhere else
>>
>>993803
Fuck of randy bobandy
>>
>>993596
That doesn't work. FedEx does not allow wrapping paper over packages, even plain brown wrapping. They site that wrapping might come off and clog their conveyor/sorting mechanics.Guy at the counter said he had to take my wrapping off to ship. Of course, I wrapped it so damn well that he couldn't pull a single tear without grabbing some scissors. He admitted that I did a great job wrapping, but rules are rules.
>>
Take cardboard box. Apply a few stickers or pieces of tape. Remove them, taking care to visibly damage the cardboard. Rip down one coner, repair with clear packing tape. Punch a rough hole through one side, repair with clear packing tape. Roughly gouge another side, repair with clear packing tape. Fill box with rice, seal with clear packing tape. Completely cover box with haphazardly applied clear packing tape of varying lengths. Repeatedly drop box onto concrete, taking care to crush all 8 corners. Roll the box around on concrete for a while. Open, remove rice, add cargo with crumpled newspaper to pad. Reseal box with clear packing tape.
>>
>>994014
Theres a difference between wanting a package to look like its been waiting for you for years and looking like it came fedex.
>>
File: frig off.jpg (146 KB, 1844x1210) Image search: [Google]
frig off.jpg
146 KB, 1844x1210
>>993989
>>
File: Western_Union_BttF.jpg (50 KB, 1024x554) Image search: [Google]
Western_Union_BttF.jpg
50 KB, 1024x554
>>993417
Simple, send it via Western Union.
>>
>>994027
Not just waited. Passed around.
>>
>>993417
just handle it a lot, dirty fingers greasy fingers crinkle and rub
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.