[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I've got an old metal shed in my backyard that's been
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3
File: old tin shed.jpg (61 KB, 450x320) Image search: [Google]
old tin shed.jpg
61 KB, 450x320
I've got an old metal shed in my backyard that's been there since before I bought the house that I want to take down. I don't plan on replacing it with anything; it's just an eyesore. It's small, about ten feet by ten feet square. Don't know what metal it's made out of but I do know it corrodes. It's been sitting out there for about twenty years of storms and is slightly overgrown with ivy, so I imagine it can't be very structurally stable at this point.

I have a stepladder, sledgehammer, bolt cutters, and your average assortment of conventional house tools. I don't keep any power tools on hand, but I can easily rent some. I have experience using them, but not for metalworking, so I'm hesitant to leap into using them for that purpose.

Pic related is close enough to what the shed looks like. Sorry about the stock photo; I'm away from my house right now.

How would you guys suggest going about this project, aside from the general strategy of "empty the shed, remove the ceiling panels, and knock down the walls"?
>>
File: 1448220442448.gif (792 KB, 499x371) Image search: [Google]
1448220442448.gif
792 KB, 499x371
>>993296

>get pickup truck
>get chain
>attach chain to tow hitch on truck
>attach other end of chain onto a corner support post
>put in drive
>pick up pieces and place in truck bed
>use reciprocating saw to cut wood on parts to large to stow
>strap the shit down
>drive to scrap yard
>sell materials
>literal profit

a shed like that should be down, loaded, delivered, unloaded and money changed hands in about 2-5 hours, depending on how many beers you got.
>>
>>993300

That's a great idea, but unfortunately I should have mentioned that the shed is about thirty yards deep into a fenced-off backyard, on top of a fifteen-foot hill and in a thicket of trees. I don't think the pickup truck solution would be very practical
>>
>>993303

take a pic of the shed
>>
>>993306

That'll take a while. Like I said, I'm away from my house right now.
>>
Check what the siding is attached with (screws bolts, nails) and use the appropriate tool to remove any that arent siezed up. Then get a prybar and a club hammer and pull/knock off the rest.
>>
>>993303
Get a hand winch, wrap around a tree, attach it to a structural part of the shed and winch away. It should pull a weak building down fast
>>
>>993296
Can you get your hands on a large amount of tannerite and a rifle?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=edRbcTXAijY
>>
Get a large hammer and go on the inside and just hit it out will take you an hour or two to Rip it down and piled or loaded up
>>
File: 330719_2000x2000.jpg (220 KB, 2000x2000) Image search: [Google]
330719_2000x2000.jpg
220 KB, 2000x2000
Rain death upon thyne enemies
>>
>>993327

I'd be careful climbing on or around that thing to pull off siding. The siding could be all that's holding it together.

I like the pickup or winch idea to pull it down first.
>>
Safest to pull it over first, don't fuck around with old buildings
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.