[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Cooling Solutions
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 4
File: 10x0907iub245asus.jpg (27 KB, 600x320) Image search: [Google]
10x0907iub245asus.jpg
27 KB, 600x320
I'm currently trying to fix a problem with cooling on my Asus G53Jw. I'm getting 60c-70c on the CPU when idle. I have done to usual things: replaced the thermal paste and cleaned the fans+exhausts. After investigating I found that the problem was down to the power wattage. The power profile (balanced and performance) keeps the cpu wattage at 54.21w. Setting it to power saving seems to be the only way to lower the wattage and heat. As this is a gaming laptop, I don't believe that keeping it power saving is going to do me any favours.

My Idea is to modify the sucker. I have three ideas, but I'm unsure how effective they will be. I'll post them in a moment.

P.S
Don't ask about doing something in the bios. The only things I can do there is change the boot device and whether or not I want the asus icon to be animated and have a tune play when I turn the damn thing on.
>>
File: plan one.jpg (859 KB, 1500x1258) Image search: [Google]
plan one.jpg
859 KB, 1500x1258
The First idea is to place two 30mm fans directly above the cpu.
>>
File: plan 2.jpg (356 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
plan 2.jpg
356 KB, 1024x768
The second plan is to place 80mm fan on the case
>>
Last is to remove sections and replace it with mesh.
>>
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/create-a-shortcut-or-hotkey-to-switch-power-plans/
>>
>>993026
Switching profiles is not the problem. It needs better cooling/ventilation. The temps where hitting 90+ when I used chrome while it was on performance mode.
>>
>>993005
>Don't ask about doing something in the bios. The only things I can do there is change the boot device and whether or not I want the asus icon to be animated and have a tune play when I turn the damn thing on.

Jesus, really ?
>>
>>993046
Yep.
>>
Under 100c sounds like its still within operating parameters for a gaming laptop. So it should be okay unless you start seeing video artifacts.
>>
File: 600784_vw_etz00_1026777623.jpg (20 KB, 450x450) Image search: [Google]
600784_vw_etz00_1026777623.jpg
20 KB, 450x450
>>993039
>used chrome while it was on performance mode
you don't need full throttle performance for web browsing.
also pic related
>>
>>993106
Already have a cooler, there's no difference.

Chrome still brings up the temp to 70c+ in power saving mode(40c-50c when in idle).
>>
>>993005

My GF had one of these... there IS a modification out there for the video card BIOS that essentially puts in on 100% speed, but it's loud as fuck and I don't suggest it.

What I did to fix it was get some of the best thermal paste you can afford (ie. Thermal Grizzly, etc.) but NOT metal based, and replace the VIDEO CARD die paste with it.

Those things run stupid hot at full power. If memory serves, thing was topping out at 105 degrees in the summer. Check it out using HWiNFO, guaranteed your card heat is unreal at full power.
>>
When it involves heat, mobile nvidia GPU's are usually the culprit as other anons have suggested. There drivers available aren't optimal. I've burnt out a newly purchased sager (intel/nvidia) due to this issue.
>>
>>993274
>>993279

OP here.

This is one of the reasons why I'm thinking of modifying the case for extra ventilation. I used to use a HP Touchsmart tx2 and that fucker got hot enough to desolder itself. It was down to the Gpu being placed right next to the Cpu and having a very ineffective heatsink and fan. For that one I had drilled holes in the case and polished the shit out of the copper on the heatsink. It did bring down the temp by about 7c, but it was still averaging around 70c+. In the end I had to gimp the cpu to about 90% power (this was recommended by other owners). The temps where down to 40c, but as you can guess, gimping the cpu killed performance.

I'm thinking that replacing sections on the underside with mesh would be the best way forward. The cooling pad I have has real good air flow, it just can't get to the areas that need it.
>>
>>993313
a friend of mine had 12 inch Toshiba Portege M200 laptop (the one with Wacom digitizer), which would run pretty hot, he ghetto-modified it's coper heatsink by soldering few copper coins to it to increase heat dissipation surface. Not really sure if that helped.
>>
>>993005
congrats on being the op of the month that knows what he's asking.
>>993106
best solution

unfortunately you ran into what engineers call max performance and one or more vital components can not preform any better with out being replaced. so replacing your case is the best solution aside form only using your computer in a walk in freezer.
>>993313
a good heat sink is always nice but not necessarily always going to make things better. you still need to get rid of the heat some where or it just cools it down initially.

>tldr get a bigger case with better ventalation
>>
Did you clean between the fans and heatsinks? My kids h73jh had collected dust there a few times and it just needs the cake of dust scraped off. Also try cleaning thekeyboard, if it's like the g73jh it should be drawing air in from the keyboard area.
>>
OP here.

>>993749

I've orders some cuttings wheels for my Dremel. I'll be documenting my progress on here.

>>993768

Cleaning the fans and heatsink was the first thing I did. The laptop is squeaky clean.
>>
What about peltier cell, sorry for my bad english
>>
>>993871

>peltier cell

I was thinking about it, but I know very little. What I was able to find was that using a Peltier cell is not that cost effective. Trying to get something like that set up in a laptop would be very problematic.
>>
OP here with a quick question.

The ram on the gpu uses this horrid looking blur silicone gel stuff in place of thermal pads. It looks like a Smurf had jacked off over the ram (it's a real mess). I'm thinking of replacing it with thin thermal pads. Would that be good or should I just give it a clean up?
>>
it's obvious.
install gentoo.
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.