[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Home Depot ama
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 87
Thread images: 8
File: 1445387308870.jpg (55 KB, 537x604) Image search: [Google]
1445387308870.jpg
55 KB, 537x604
Ask a Home Depot lumber and building materials sales associate/minimum wageslave anything.
>>
Why havent you killed yourself yet?
>>
>>992991
Because I like my job and I have realistic goals for my life that keep things in perspective.
I also view suicide as "an easy way out". We all die one day and once you realize the Buddhist philosophy of 'life is suffering', nothing phases you (at least nothing i have experienced so far) to the point where death is the only option.
>>
why is the lumber cutting guy never there?
>>
>>992995
You never come in on the days I'm there.
But desu, home depot is seriously lacking workers (especially for my department) all across the country it seems.
If you ever need a job, they will be hiring.
>>
Why are there always 2 women workers standing by the trailer parts section gossiping
>>
Do you really think selling monopoly stocking rights to purveyors of chinese shit like TTI (Milwaukee, Ryobi, etc.) is fair on your customers?
>>
>be me
>return boards to hd
>dumbass: "they look different sizes, you've cut them already"
>tell 'her' no, they're precut
>she measures them
>"these are less than 8ft, they've been cut"
>ask her if she knows what a precut is
>"yes"
>dumbass gets another tape to measure it again
>dumbass: "yep, they\ve been cut, i can see the saw marks"
>dumbass get manager
>I laugh as dumbass makes a complete fool of herself to her manager

hd always good for a laugh
>>
>>993002
Smoke break no doubt.
P - probably talking about me...
>>993004
Wouldn't know anything about that. But ryobi is a decent brand.
>>993008
>she
There's your problem.
Home depot women, especially the young'ns, are dumb as dirt.
>>
>>993004
Jesus christ not you again.
>>
>>992987
I just got hired as a tool rental tech for income and the bennies while I do metalwork out of my garage. What can I expect?
>>
>>993093
Jesus Christ not this thread again.
>>
File: 1367381312977.jpg (62 KB, 626x460) Image search: [Google]
1367381312977.jpg
62 KB, 626x460
Okay, so I'm certain I'm not buying high quality when I buy lumber from box stores, but what would you recommend I do look at there? From my experience the pine plywood is alright and if you take your time you can find a few good boards but don't go looking for quality oak there amiright? would you say it's the same for lowes?
>>
How can you justify selling makita tools for the prices you do?
>>
>>993190
>lumber and building materials sales associate/minimum wageslave
>implying he has anything to do with the prices
>>
Why is everything so overpriced? I saw a $20 battery charger for $40 and a $30 saw for $80 the other day.
>>
File: 1430766070511.jpg (295 KB, 960x1280) Image search: [Google]
1430766070511.jpg
295 KB, 960x1280
Why do you guys have such a small selection of hardwood, and how do you justify selling crap oak and maple for $8/bf?

Where do I find good hardwood for cheap?
>>
>>993207
wait, there's maple in homecrappot? I've never seen maple. just that fabulous "white wood" Redoak, poplar, some sort of pine and cedar?
>>
>>993002
They usually park the cashiers near the hardware section. Head cashiers and front-end supervisors are usually based at the self-check out, because of the increased possibility of theft from that area.

>>992995
Because there's no reward for an associate who knows how to operate the thing. They get nothing out of helping you, except inconvenience and blame from their manager when they have to shrink mistakes.

Nobody wants to fucking cut your lumber for you. Buy a fucking saw, or a decent truck. Seriously, fuck you and all the people who want to build things without owning basic tools. You waste everyone else's time. Also: Fuck everyone who can't assemble a grill, or put handles on a snowblower.

>>993190
>>993206
>>993207
Tailor your fucking expectations. It's a big-box store disguised as a hardware store. Profit is the center of their universe. Sales will be unpredictable, management will not disclose sale dates to associates.
>>
>>993207
>Where do I find good hardwood for cheap?

An actual lumber yard.
>>
Here's how to get the best deal at HD:

1: buy a thing at any store
2: watch the price of that thing on their website
3: when the price goes down, take your receipt in, and politely ask the associate to re-ring your purchase at the new price. If you're within the generous 90-day return policy, they will do that happily for you, rather than see you bring your fucked-up merchandise in, expecting a refund.

You will be issued a refund and new receipt, with a brand-new 90-day policy attached. Repeat the process until the lowest price is achieved.
>>
>>992996
Used to be on the freight team at 6303, and we were understaffed for a solid 4-5 months. They pulled people from 2-3 other stores around the area to help us, and we'd always get bitched at for not having all the freight out. I don't know what they expected, honestly.
>>
File: 1449420521732.jpg (401 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1449420521732.jpg
401 KB, 1920x1080
>>992987
just started in lumber/building materials, 7056
What advice would you give me for the first 3 months?
>>
>>993721
When you do the closing shift, do things in this order:
1. Go backs
2. Flatstacking
3. Cleanup

Get all your lumber and building materials training done. It'll help you know what you're talking about when dealing with customers
Get your forklift license and as much practice (following proper safety procedures) during slow times when there are few customers.
Try to learn where everything is at least generally.
Spend some time with the Simpson products and get a general idea of what they are for.
Download the home depot app on your phone and use it whenever you don't know exactly where something is.
>>
>>992987
>>>993721
>When you do the closing shift, do things in this order:
>1. Go backs
>2. Flatstacking
>3. Cleanup
>
>Get all your lumber and building materials training done. It'll help you know what you're talking about when dealing with customers
>Get your forklift license and as much practice (following proper safety procedures) during slow times when there are few customers.
>Try to learn where everything is at least generally.
>Spend some time with the Simpson products and get a general idea of what they are for.
>Download the home depot app on your phone and use it whenever you don't know exactly where something is.
What he said.
I work as the Delivery driver (order picker) for a store down in Florida. The app saves your ass alot. Get the license done ASAP, not enough good drivers who know what they are doing.

To everyone else, Florida HD Delivery driver here, you can AMA as well.
>>
>>993911
thanks familia, we are pretty busy all the time so i don't think I'll be able to get forklift license any time soon but I'll keep the rest in mind as I continue figuring things out. I work with a lot of old men who communicate in grunts rather than actually explain things
>>
Where you hide all the good clearance deals?

Most of clearance seems like shit price still.
>>
>>993241
>You have to own a truck to want to buy lumber

Fuck hobbyists, amirite?
>>
>>993247
Fuck it, ex b&q employee here ama
>how to get discount on almost anything
> 1. Scope down what you want
> 2. At least one item will be open or damaged box because trades are too lazy to read
> 3. Go at least 3 aisles over and find an associate
> 4. Ask for discount because of packaging

Most staff will not walk over to look for a better item because lazy / rules against wandering from aisles.
>>
>>994154
>Fuck hobbyists, amirite?

think that was more of an all-inclusive 'fuck customers', or 'fuck y'all' tbf:

>fuck you and all the people who want to build things

..seems to about cover it. Just be fucking thankful these 'associates' even bother showing up to have to fucking look at likes of you fucking ingratiate cunts - every fucking day, strolling in to buy fucking tools without having the fucking proper tools, not even a fucking F35 + Flatbed half the fucking time, cunts want be wanting the fucking bark + branches stripped off next, fucking joke. Fucking customers=cunts, fuck em. Oh and fuck you too and have a Nice Day Now from fucking Home Depot you cunts.
>>
>>992987
You guys sell the absolute worst lumber that money can buy.
>>
>>993165
I work in tool rental. Expect to mostly do stupid tepairs, but jot have the time to do them. It REALLY depends on your team not being retards, helping you, and keeping you off the desk. My advice would be to encourage all the other rental folks to learn and take initiative. Are you the only tech? I've been at HD forever, only a year in rental, though. You are probably going to walk into a nightmare this time of year.
>>
>>993241
>Tailor your fucking expectations

Like you have with your entire life?
Putting every egg into the "Im going to make a career out of Home Depot" basket.

When you inevitably get fired you can just hop on over to Lowes to get your career back on track?
Your impressive record from Home Depot will surely grab Lowes attention!
>>
>>994188

No wonder you still work retail.
>>
why does home depot hire the most useless fucks in the world? then rape the customers.
>>
>>992987
Yeah, why do you guys have the policy where every employee must greet all customers?

Why do you no longer have knowledgeable employees? I'm tired of being asked about what I'm doing for a job when the employee doesn't even have basic product knowledge. "What is plaster weld?"
>>
>>994831
I find the key is the shirt: if I wear one with a collar I'm "Sir" and I get lots of "can I help you"s and the like; if I have a tee-shirt on I don't even SEE anyone that works there. It's the same in any retail establishment.
>>
>>993002
Pro-Desk workers whose job is to suck all the contractor's cocks.
>>
>>994831
>Yeah, why do you guys have the policy where every employee must greet all customers?
My managers care nothing about anything except sales and credit. We're supposed to be selling everyone credit all day every day. The greeting is supposed to be a segue into a sale or credit signup. I'm in CT.
>>
>>992987
What's your take on the increasing amount of female employees in hardware and supply stores?
>>
>>994154
I love hobbyists. I am one, but I don't show up expecting a retail employee to help me with my hobby. I also don't show up with a hatchback when I buy some 12' boards.

>>994188
No, that was more pointedly "fuck stupid, helpless people".

I've been asked how to clean dirt off of vinyl siding, and whether or not a nail file would be sufficient to sharpen an axe.

These are the same people who get pissy when you can't drop everything and give them extra help for free.

Seriously, if you don't think you're qualified to assemble a fucking barbecue, you should reevaluate calling yourself a man.
>>
>>994831
In spring/summer, they hire a bunch of stupid kids to move product around. Those floor associates are required to stop tasking and look for customers during peak hours.

You'll find more knowledgeable employees during off-season and off-peak times, and weekdays.
>>
>>994154
>showing up in a car to buy lumber

Were you born this dumb or did you work to get there?
>>
File: 10352810.jpg (160 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
10352810.jpg
160 KB, 1024x768
>>992987
Fellow homodepotfag here, G'day from western Canada.
>>
>>993008
>customer brings back lawnmower
>rants and raves about piece of crap wont start
>goes on and on about being butthurt over loss of his time, driving time, fuel burned
>yadda yadda yadda..

Customers, always good for a laugh.
And the incessant push to the bottom continues. :-P
>>
>>995658
Fuck me, forgot to add:

>find gas tank on lawn mower bone dry and unused.
*facepalm*
>>
>>992987
2 things:

1) Jesus ask the manager to turn all the damm lights on, everytime it's like I'm going blind

2) Ask the receiving department to move their ass, I deliver all the time, goota have an appointment, got it, sorry, break time, 1 truck at a time, I can only sign for some of this, the other guy is on break, I can't sign, I didn't unload, oops broke that pallet and all the stuff, it's your fault, you unloaded it, nope your fault, can you wrap it for me, nope, not our job, sorry the forklift guy is out sick, can you hand unload those 10 pallets

Jesus
>>
Lowe's receiver/unloader here, HD is crap.

>>994707
Actually yes, more than half my coworkers are former Depot employees who upgraded after getting fed up.

>>993185
Prettymuch. The quality is random and you might find something good, but it's mostly for stuff where quality doesn't matter.
>>
>>995001
Which city?
>>
>>995903
I hope your not posting from Atlanta. ;-)
>>
>>995884
This if for you, but also for HD employess. What tools do yall find are the best deals?

I like lowes for a lot of stuff, they've got a 20$ propane torch kit that comes with everything you need to get started. But I'm just wondering what yall like.
>>
>>997048
Basically you need to browse the department looking for clearanced or discounted returns/nonstock. Talk to the tools guys, make buddies and ask if they have anything they are trying to get rid of or is a particularly good deal. Sometimes it's not on the floor but is still marked down, for various reasons. Older employees seem to be best for that, at least in my experience.
Personally, I haven't really bought much from my store besides lumber for carpentry, gloves (Kobalt and Blue Hawk both make excellent mid cost gloves) for moving freight and a set of Kobalt cordless tools (no complaints so far about them). Almost got a $400+ Mig welding set for $20 (with mask and all), but someone sold it out from under me at full price.
>>
>>995669
Fun fact: the lights in Home Depot stores are controlled directly by corporate. There's a black box that controls them all, and not even the store manager can change the schedule that determines what light level is going on in the store.
>>
>>997452
At a store in western Canada we can, only the heating and A/C are controlled by Toronto.

>>995884
We got a Lowes opening up here in September. Already have a head-hunter contacting me.
>>
>>994129
At my store we don't hide it, trust me, it takes up so much space we don't have and it's a nuisance to maintain. That being said most of the prices still suck. They just streamlined the process to make clearance more efficient , so in theory you just have to keep checking waiting for the price drops to come.
>>
>>992987
Why do home depot employees always act like they don't want to cut plywoof for me? Saturday I had a guy tell me his saw was fucked up and wouldn't cut straight right after making two 8 foot cuts in a piece of plywood for me. When I ask him to make some more cuts so I can fit it in my car he gives me a load of shit.
>>
>>997600
>act

But seriously I never minded making cuts for people. I just pointed out that I could only make rough cuts and would have to charge for more than 2 cuts. It's part of the job, and it really isn't as big of a deal as they make it out to be.
>>
Anyone have experiences at an 84 Lumber? I'm doing a deck and I've been told by a few people to go there over my local Home Depot for better quality material
>>
>>992987
I have a question:
Why do you keep making the cancerous threads?
>>
They only keep black women on the POS's in South Florida. Not much staff in the store besides that. Not to sound like a racist or sexist, but they can barely handle the check-out process, nevermind product knowledge. I do self check-out if possible anyways. I imagine HD's only investment in my presence would be the security camera surveillors and paying whoever stocked the shelf I shopped from.
>>
File: Wood_warping[1].png (306 KB, 1062x654) Image search: [Google]
Wood_warping[1].png
306 KB, 1062x654
>>997692
>I'm doing a deck and I've been told by a few people to go there over my local Home Depot for better quality material

Absolutely. Every lumber yard will have better lumber and it will be cheaper too. HD has the worst lumber in the industry. I've sorted through so much fucking lumber that I should be getting paid.

>Need a 2x2 for thing
>Spend 1/2 hour sorting through the bin
>Not a single straight or unblemmissed in the lot
>Fuck it - buy 2x4
>Rip it at home
>>
>>998614
Lowe's at least goes through and culls all the boards that are too badly warped to use, and sells them as a bundled lot for a steep discount.
>>
>>992987
3 year Lowe's garden associate wageslave here, I will join in the answering too.
>>
>>998643
At least garden is outside with air and light. I'm supposed to get moved there once the bosses train another truck guy, but that's fucking never happening. Ugh.
What town/store number are you at? Bellevue/0040 here.
>>
I must have applied to Lowes and home depot 20 times in the past 2 years and they just ignore me.

I even bugged the shit out of the HR lady at Lowes and she still wouldn't hire me.
>>
>>998654
At my store they are really desperate for people, if you can pass a lazy drug test they hire you practically on the spot. Also make sure you apply to multiple positions at the same time, and ask employees for what departments are understaffed.
>>
>>998658
In my area all they ever have is seasonal, there's not many jobs where I live so the people that work there tend to stick around.
>>
>>998660
So go for a seasonal spot, ALSO check who their plant vendors are, if they have them in your area. Up here in the Pacific Northwest it's Resource Plus, the work is harder and the pay is worse but it's a good way to get in with the employees and show off that you're worth hiring.
>>
Tool rental slave checking in
>>
>>995669
You're THAT truck driver
>>
>>992987
Why do you not fucking unionize?
>>
File: 1452389329156.jpg (48 KB, 400x462) Image search: [Google]
1452389329156.jpg
48 KB, 400x462
Assistant tool tech at HD here (21y) in tool rental

Seriously, fuck each and every one of you prices that clog up your carburetors because you don't know to run them dry. It's like you don't know how to read manuals.

Reasons I've had customers bring back mowers/blowers
>makes noise after blade is disengaged
Usually the blade still spinning down
>engine seized up
Forgot to put oil in it. STILL GETS RETURNED.
>Doesn't self propel
You yanked the cable out of alignment. A screwdriver fixes it.

Customers are so God damn stupid when it comes to engines. Hooooly fuck.
>>
>>>992987
>You guys sell the absolute worst lumber that money can buy.
Go to a real lumber yard, dumbass
>>
>>998883
Meant 21yo, not 21 years of service.
>>
>>998886
we guessed.
>>
>>995007
As a home depot manager I am ok with it. I am currently fucking one on the dl
>>
What went so wrong in your life that you work at an HD?
>>
>>992987
>Working at HD
>Not working at superior LOWES

I don't know whether to laugh at you or pity you.
>>
>>998925
Look at him and laugh.
>>
>>992993
holy fuck you're a market shill
that is the only explanation
you've been making these threads for like a year
i hope you make real money at least
>>
>>998937
>makes the same shitty threads every month for a year
>"OP your threads are cancer"
>"Nah, they're good"
>Gets mad when his thread has nothing to do with anything /diy/ except what /diy/ hates: dealing with HD and surprise, /diy/ doesn't like it.
>Still can't understand that everyone not only hates him, but doesn't give a shit about the job because practically everyone can do it/has done it better.
>makes a new thread

Yeah, he has to be a market shill or he's just that fucking desperate for attention, because he doesn't get any from his senpai, Mr. Store manager.
>>
>>998937
>>998989
I figured it out. OP isn't a market shill, HD corporate is trying to hire /diy/ because they think we're all poor and desperate, and therefore a good source of quality store employees.

>But desu, home depot is seriously lacking workers (especially for my department) all across the country it seems.
>If you ever need a job, they will be hiring.

OP, none of us want to work for you.
Most of us have already have jobs that actually contribute to /diy/.
>>
>>992987
Scott d?
>>
>>992987
will you suck my cock?
>>
>>998643
Kek, my little brother has relatively severe allergies and they still send him out into the garden.
>>
>goto plywood section
>take sticker off quarter inch 4x8 sheet
>put stick on 3/4 inch 4x8 sheet
>go up to teenage/female/dumbass cashier
>they ring me up and smile at me as i rip them off
if HD/Lowes didnt double the price of their shit plywood I wouldnt do it. But the lumber yard is so far away
>>
File: hj9pr3tipaz7tvkkcf1t.jpg (2 MB, 2048x1536) Image search: [Google]
hj9pr3tipaz7tvkkcf1t.jpg
2 MB, 2048x1536
>>995651
Just strap it right in there brah, it's fine.
Thread replies: 87
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.