[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I want to make a small internal combustion engine. A bore of
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1
File: 1438912288087.png (360 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
1438912288087.png
360 KB, 500x375
I want to make a small internal combustion engine. A bore of maybe 1" to give you an idea of the scale. I've made several models in Solidworks and 3D printed them before, so I'm familiar with the construction of all the moving parts.

But is there any recommended reading on construction of a carburetor? I understand how they work, that's not what I'm talking about. I mean given the displacement of my engine, is there a simple way to calculate an optimal diameter for the carb bore and fuel nozzle?
>>
>>992975
>A bore of maybe 1"
So a 5 horse briggs
>>
>>992975
Home shop machinist forums and model aircraft forums would be good sources of information. The bore you want is similar to some larger engines for model aircraft. Copy their carbs.
>>
>>992975
maybe just buy a cheap one meant for a 100-200cc engine and adapt it?
>>
>>993856
Far too large.

The point of machining such an engine is to perform the lathe and millwork, and the additional work to make very simple carbs is minimal but a good student project.

What OP wants to do has been done since before the internal combustion engine was invented. Small live steam models have been made as prototypes, patent models, and for fun.

It's a fair-sized hobby. It has forums. This is not one of those forums so OP is best off using a search engine, learning relevant terms, then using that search engine more effectively.

Here are a couple. Now GTFO and have some very enjoyable reading! There are all sorts of projects from simple to insane.

http://www.homemodelenginemachinist.com/

http://modelenginenews.org/links.html
>>
>>993892
BTW if OP image searches "model aircraft engine carburetor" there are plenty of examples. Next step is sizing and choosing a design or designs as inspiration.

http://www.airfieldmodels.com/information_source/model_aircraft_engines/fuel_system.htm
Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.