[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Portable Air Conditioners
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3
File: Fire_SpongeBob.png (244 KB, 480x368) Image search: [Google]
Fire_SpongeBob.png
244 KB, 480x368
>live with parents
>we have a symbiotic relationship with me staying
>live in room right over the garage
>one air vent
>computer science major so computers everywhere
>play games so consoles everywhere
>hot as fuck in my room

Was looking at some portable air conditioners but I'm not sure what I'm looking for. Any recommendations or advice?
>>
File: 1440625491539.jpg (512 KB, 1280x1707) Image search: [Google]
1440625491539.jpg
512 KB, 1280x1707
Are we talking symbiosis as in tiny-bird-cleaning-reptilian-maw, or "symbiosis" as in "hey, you've got blood to spare, just gonna park my ass here and try not to tickle TOO much?"

How light a sleeper are you, and how well can you tune out noise? My friend had a modest, name-brand portable air conditioner and it was like a goddamned leafblower. You might be better off a window cracked open about a quarter of the way, a small tower fan oscillating in your general direction, and a cheap box fan doing its business from a good distance away. Far cheaper in both initial cost and lifetime cost, and quieter unless you're sensitive to the drone of a fan.
>>
>>992725
I grew up on having a fan next to me going to sleep. So white noise won't be a problem.

But I pay a couple bills and drive people occasionally in exchange for staying and not paying actual rent and going to college.
>>
>>992730

So what's the issue with fans? Or is it less about personal comfort and more about not frying your electronics?
>>
>>992724

Frigidaire FFRA1022R1 sets in a window, I built an exterior brace
Works great, I live in the desert SW, house has evaporative cooling, but I sleep during the day, this works great

Around $250 at Walmart

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Frigidaire-FFRA1022R1-10-000-BTU-115V-Window-Mounted-Compact-Air-Conditioner-with-Remote-Control/44458307?action=product_interest&action_type=title&item_id=44458307&placement_id=irs-302-m3&strategy=PWVUB&visitor_id&category=&client_guid=07ae82e8-c391-4031-a4ed-3e932bdb9307&customer_id_enc&config_id=302&parent_item_id=35764397&parent_anchor_item_id=35764397&guid=8266b988-44a0-437a-b93e-01e9e6070cd4&bucket_id=irsbucketdefault&beacon_version=1.0.1&findingMethod=p13n
>>
>>992737
http://www.walmart.com/ip/44458307
>url triggered
>>
Google "BTU calculator" it will ask you for dimensions of the space you want to cool and how many degrees you want to cool and sometimes how well insulated the space is. The calc will spit out a number in BTUs which most Portable and Window ACs use as a rating. I usually add 1k-2k BTU to this number for freak heat waves or for an extra punch to get things colder at night to sleep better.
>>
open a window?
>>
Go through the main house and half close the vents. Take the vent cover off your vent. Place a fan to suck air out of the vent hole.

These steps will help slightly. Remember to point the vented air at you. Your computers won't mind second hand ac.
>>
>>992724
If there's a window I recommend a cheap small window unit and a box fan. Install the AC unit in the window and put the box fan in the cold air stream and aim it where you want it. This spot cooling method can keep you cool where ever you are in the room without needing a massive AC unit to cool the entire room.

So, something like this:

http://www.ruralking.com/perfect-aire-5000-btu-window-air-conditioner-pac5000.html

and

http://www.ruralking.com/camair-20-3-speed-box-fan-bx100.html

Will work perfectly. This is what I use when it is 110F outside and getting upwards of 95F inside without AC in 80% humidity that simply kills you without AC. The Electric bill for this stuff is really cheap too.
>>
>leaves consoles and computers on
You are a shitty comp sci major.
>>
>>992724
Turn your computers and consoles off? Get better cooling for the computers?
>>
>>992900
>Get better cooling for the computers?
Are you aware of how cooling works?
>>
>>992900
>hot as fuck in room while using computer
>lol just turn the computer off retard
>>
File: movincool_office_pro_18[1].jpg (95 KB, 800x800) Image search: [Google]
movincool_office_pro_18[1].jpg
95 KB, 800x800
>>992724
>>
>>992901
Make a freon cooling system then you got cold air blowing :^)

It should cost you less than your GTX 980.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.