[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
DIY Loot Crates
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2
File: IMG_2434.jpg (2 MB, 2424x4480) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2434.jpg
2 MB, 2424x4480
Sup /DIY/,

I'm getting into making my own loot crates. Kind of a middle-ground between gifting people something that is both home-made and not worthless. You know, for Christmas, Halloween, etc.

Thus far I've made a few rough prototypes like pic related with themes like Resident Evil. As far as materials go, I've done everything from hit up the 99 cent store to digging around in my junk drawer.

So I'm looking to trade up in materials and brainstorming. Doing things like getting properly-shaped boxes from online, printing out labels/stickers, that kind of stuff.

Anyone else doing this on a semi-regular basis?
>>
>>992581
That looks terrible.

Anyways, a tip.

Get yourself a cheap laser printer, some xylene (hardware store) and a brush. Print something on thick paper, lay it flat down on cardboard and start brushing with xylene.

Use something to push the paper down (burnishing) and repeat a few times.

The image from the paper is now transferred to the cardboard. People always are amazed how you got the image on.

For extra info, this process is called "solvent transfer".
>>
>>992586
>That looks terrible.
>protoype
>>
No but it's a great idea mate. Have 3 for dudes and 3 for chicks on hand for birthdays.

Good plan.

Also love this solvent transfer idea
>>
>>992600
Your little drawings look like shit, prototype or not. Just because you're practicing gives you permission to let the worst garbage out of your head? Take some more time and actually make it look good (stickers, solvent transfer as above, actual skillful drawing, etc.) if you don't want to be criticized, but until you create something that doesn't look like it came from Ms. Brenner's 4th grade class project, it looks like shit.
>>
>>992907

>projecting this hard
>>
You can also use inkjet printer to print on used sticker sheet and transfer it to wood/cardboard without need of any solvents. For example here. There is many ways of doing this but it's the most basic. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zq2O66QGCwg

Idea is great and i like it.

To refine it to suit for giving it to DIY person, imagine making it out of wood containing basic arduino circuit on a breadboard and solenoid to keep the box shut till the certain time is reached (etc. halloween or x-mas) and then reciever would get the gift and can also salvage the arduino + solenoid + whatever for their own projects. (and the box ofc)
>>
>>992600
>doesnt apply self
>gets mad when called out on it

Im sure the final project will look amazing OP, you seem to have real good head on your shoulders.
>>
>>993309
>being on diy
>discouraging people from making shit

You are cancer.
>>
>>993316
Your reading comprehension seems quite poor.
>>
Get some wooden boxes from a craft store and decorate them. That way the person you gift it to can throw away all the useless crap and 9-year-old's drawings and still have a useful box.
>>
>>993006
>>992600
>being this defensive
if you can't take criticism, don't make the post and outright fuck off.
>>
If you're putting graphics onto cardboard, you can just print it on a sheet of paper, then spray adhesive the sheet onto the cardboard. Or if you want gloss, you can print on glossy photo paper, overlay with glossy tape, or overlay with a large protective sheet.
>>
>>993442
>being this big of a faggot
>>
>>993521
Sorry, meant to reply to
>>992581
>>
That looks really bad. "hey dude, happy birthday! I got you a box of dollar store garbage, but put in just enough effort so that you'll look like the bad guy if you get mad"
>>
You actually wasted precious hours of your life making this?

I pity you and your miserable existence
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.