[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Modem
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 2
File: 100_6392.jpg (2 MB, 3664x2748) Image search: [Google]
100_6392.jpg
2 MB, 3664x2748
I have here a fucked D-Link DSL-500B ADSL modem. It can't connect properly because it's 8 years old and the capacitors leaked. What can I do with it, besides throwing it away?
>pic related
>>
fix it
>>
>>992459
The acid that leaked did not damaged the circuits?
>>
Looks perfectly serviceable to me.
>>
>>992465
Can you please answer this? >>992462
>>
>>992480
No electrolytic fluid won't hurt the board at all. Just clean it off.
>>
>>992500
It can damage the metal parts...
>>
>>992502
What metal parts? The pads that are covered in solder? The traces covered in lacquer? The via's cover in solder and lacquer? Naw man, that board is good.
>>
>>992506
>The via's cover
???
>>
>>992444
just clean that shiet with isopropyl alcohol and replace the leaked (and bulging) caps.
it will work again
>>
>>992508
I need to know one thing first: the fact that they do not worked properly for some months does not means they fucked the other components by sending them bad energy?
>>
File: 1463072049409.jpg (3 MB, 3664x2748) Image search: [Google]
1463072049409.jpg
3 MB, 3664x2748
>>992507
Via's are the hollow copper rings that go in the holes that go through a level of a board. I circled some on the left side of your pic.
>>
>>992510
Doubtful. Very doubtful considering this is a low voltage modem. We're talking about a sub-penny costing component and a 1 minute job. Why have you not done this already?
>>
>>992513
Because I was not sure if the system was fucked. And if it was really worth to fix.
>>
OK, thanks to everyone, I will replace the components. But first, please, how to remove them without damaging the layers? I have already tried to remove components off multilayer boards, and in the end fucked the boards and they don't work anymore.
>>
>>992510
no way, leaked caps dont break stuff (im having a hard time even thinking about a setup where it would happen, maybe some high current circuitry and even then idk)
so yeah, for a couple of bucks (<$5) you can get the caps you need and replace them, it will work (make sure to replace the ones that are bulging too)
gl
>>
>>992519
heat the component leg, not just the solder around it on the bottom side
really touch the component leg (better to touch both at same time on a cap) and when solder starts to melt/flow on the bottom pull on it from the other side, ez pz
>>
>>992531
I never was able to melt the solder by heating the legs of the component. Can you please describe more this technique? I can only melt solder by heating solder.
>>
>>992519
You may need a more powerful soldering iron. Or try adding leaded solder to the joint and letting it mix.
>>
>>992772
>Or try adding leaded solder to the joint and letting it mix.
Already tried this before.
>>
>>992775
that willdo the trick
>>
>>992781
The time I tried this, the solder was removed, but the component leg won't get out, and I needed to break the board to remove it.
>>
>>992938
wtf, but dont you want to fix the board?
you can cut the components legs and feed the new in there while the solder is flowing, if this is such an issue (legs of the new one pushes the legs of the old one out of the hole)
might i recommend, before doing any of that, cleaning the tip of your iron with some low grit sanding paper (till you can see the bare metal, then tin it and keep it tinned)? it might be very oxidized and its unable to conduct heat in a proper manner to the pad
>>
>>993023
>legs of the new one pushes the legs of the old one out of the hole
Are you suggesting to insert the new one on the wrong side of the board?
>>
>>992444
Get a new modem. 8 years old? I doubt it's even getting you the necessary speeds for your service provider.
>>
>>993129
8 years ago, my conection was 300Kbps. Now, it's 5Mbps. It still could get this transfer rate.
>>
>>993130
Jesus. 5Mbps? DSL, man. Glad I work in cable and get cable instead of ancient POTS.
>>
>>993132
I'm using ADSL.
My ISP offer 2~15Mbps today.
>>
>>993135
That's awful. I get 80 Mbps.
>>
>>993137
OK, but I'm not in North America.
>>
>>993138
This makes sense. Sorry for derailing your thread, anon. Continue.
>>
>>993126
>you can cut the components legs and feed the new in there
cutting the old one and feeding the new in its place...
>>
>>992528
Afaik early Xbox 1 revisions had faulty clock capatitor that would fail over time and destroy mobo.
>>
my guess is if you can cut the components off with wire cutters and solder replacements on top of the previous solder that might work.
>>
>>993141
Oh, I understand now!
Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.