[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Woodworking noob question What's the most efficient way
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 2
File: 20160511_104152.jpg (4 MB, 5312x2988) Image search: [Google]
20160511_104152.jpg
4 MB, 5312x2988
Woodworking noob question

What's the most efficient way to remove all the wood inside the square marked 3 here? I basically need a square-shaped hole.

I have a router but the wood is pretty thick. I attempted another hole in that same piece of wood and after many passes with the router, I found that I still have a centimeter of material at the bottom. I would route from the other side to complete the hole, but I can't figure out how to mirror the exact coordinates of the hole on the flipside (the edges of this board aren't straight because reasons).

I'm not against buying a power tool for this job since I would like to do more projects like this in the future.
>>
>>991983
I'm no woodworker, but isn't that what chisels are for?
>>
>>991986
That's my last resort :\ like I said I plan on doing more of this in the future so I would just like to know what the most efficient way to do this would be. If that's a hammer and chisel I'll do it, but I have to imagine there's a less time-consuming method out there.
>>
>>991983
Do you have a drill? Drill through the corners, connect with layout lines on the other side, route that. Or get a pattern router bit, plunge through with your first bit somewhere in the half completed hole, then use the pattern bit. They have a roller bearing on the bottom that will follow the opening you've already created. Personally, I'd use a 1" chisel.
>>
>>991994
I just looked up what a pattern bit was, and that looks really useful; I wont have to constantly make sure I'm not clipping the edges of my hole. I'll still run into the problem of my router not plunging deep enough. I think I'll try using a chisel after I've gone as deep as I can go.
>>
>>991983
OP, here's a tip for you. Get comfortable using hammer and chisel. It will come in handy in the future.

Making a three way joint with a protractor, hammer and chisel is a satisfying feeling. Also, dove tail joints, square joints, etc. It's useful to know how to handle hammer and chisel.
>>
File: Capture43.jpg (19 KB, 638x614) Image search: [Google]
Capture43.jpg
19 KB, 638x614
If it's all the way through drill and saw. Sabre saw would be best. Drill four holes, saw four cuts, clean up with a file or rasp.
>>
>>991983
mortiser on a pillar drill
>>
>>991996
I was trying to think of ways without buying much, a bit at most, but honestly a jigsaw/saber saw would be easiest. And to tell you the truth, >>991999 is exactly right. You can have it done, and as Paul Sellers says "with crisp, clean edges" in five minutes or less once you know what you're doing.
>>
Hog out the hole roughly with a drill then clean up the edges with a chisel unless you want to buy a mortising machine.
>>
>>992003

this
>>
>>991983
a router with a straight bit and a bearing to ride on a template made out of whatever

>>992031
>unless you want to buy a mortising machine

who doesn't already own one of those?!
plebs, that's who
>>
OP here

If I used a chisel, is chipout something I would have to worry about once I break through the material?
>>
>>992387
Use plywood as a sacrificial backer.
>>
>>992387
>square hole
drill out corners and saw
>nice hole
chisel boi

Get some scrap wood and use it as a backer. Best would be for you to practice a bit if you have any spare wood.
>>
Drill holes
Use keyhole saw
Chisel leftover chunks
File/rasp/sand
>>
>>991983
Coping saw
>>
>>991992
If you need to hammer your chisel, it needs to be sharpened. Also, to answer your question:

>drill the corners
>coping saw
>router if you don't mind round corners or chisel if you want it perfectly square
>>
>>991983
Rotozip
>>
>>991983
http://www.amazon.com/Craftsman-2-0-Compact-Multi-Tool-23465/dp/B005NDY226/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1463124951&sr=8-2&keywords=craftsman+multi+tool

This tool(or type) is perfect for cutting square holes through wood. I have used it a few times on plywood, 2x4s and particle board.

Not that I recommend the craftsman, but I got it as a gift and so far it has worked well for me.
>>
>>991983
Depending on requirements for squareness, smoothness, size/weight of board, etc.
Oscillating multi tool with plunge cut blade - fast and easy, but squareness would be difficult to achieve.
Drill pilot hole, then use scroll saw with thin blade - sharp corners, nice finish, square cut, if you're good with a scroll saw. Coping saw is an alternative, but it is inferior for most tasks.
Drill out bulk of hole, then cut the rest with chisel - best finish, but takes the longest and requires skill with chisels.
>>
This nigga needs to watch pual sellers youtube video about mortises

https://youtu.be/aBodzmUGtdw
It's worth the watch
>>
>>992809

I got the HF tool with the sand paper, as well as chisel heads for metal and wood. For 20 bux on sale. Shit actually works really well and the chiseling cuts in wood surprisingly decent straight and decent.
>>
>>991983
Forstner bit
>>
>>991983
What are you actually attempting to do with the hole?
The method and tools vary depending if you need something tight and precise for a mortise, or if you're just cutting a hole like you're mounting an electrical box. (With 1/4" tolerances on all sides covered by the plate.)

You could drill the corners and use a jigsaw.
You could drill and jigsaw slightly small then clean it all up nice with a chisel for tighter tolerances.
You could get a longer sidecutting bit that could make the cut in one pass, your router, and jigs for your hole sizes for rapid repeatable cuts.
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.