[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Making this for me.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2
File: DSCF0047 (Small).jpg (57 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
DSCF0047 (Small).jpg
57 KB, 640x480
Hello /diy/ I just want to know some things about how to put aluminum together, like how would i cut it and bracket it ect. I want to make a diy pc test bench for myself out of a shitty case i have. any ideas?
>>
Tig weld or rivet.
>>
>>991896
The joints on an aluminium computer case are usually done with rivets, it's probably the easiest way to do it (just drill a hole in the two pieces, get a rivet gun and put it in) but it's semi permanent (you can drill them out, but can't undo them like a screw or bolt)

As for making the form, the tool usually used to bend aluminium sheeting is called a "Brake" but it might be a bit costly for you, especially if you only want it for this project, you might be able to rent one or find a workshop that will let you use one (maker space or something, I dunno) if you type in "bending aluminium sheeting" into google there are a few "diy" methods, but I haven't looked into those.
>>
>>991950
It would probably be more economical for OP to design a case in CAD and get it fabbed instead.

I plan on doing something like that over the next few weeks for my own things.
>>
If op's picture is op's case he's dealing with sheet steel, not aluminum for his base. Op, if you're using some stock Al sheet and that case then you'll need mechanical fasteners like rivets, screws, or nut+bolt.

To cut sheet Al and steel, you can use Dremel + cutting disks, metal saws rated for steel, and tin snips if it's thin enough. If you go with saws buy a bottle of 3in1 lube to lube the blade while cutting. There are plenty of options for cutting sheet metal, the best tool will depend on the cut you want.

You'll also want something to round off edges and corners. A file will work but I use to use some tool with a swiveling curved blade I never learned the name of.

A tap and dye set would also be handy if you go with bolts. Sheet steel when punched through or thick enough will hold a thread. Al will need nuts to hold unless it's thick.
>>
>>992309
>You'll also want something to round off edges and corners. A file will work but I use to use some tool with a swiveling curved blade I never learned the name of.
I am guessing here but this description sounds like you have a "hand deburring tool".
Noga and Shaviv are two brands sold in the US. Machinist supply places online will sell them.
>>
>>992343
Thanks I was having a brain cart. Debuting tool is a must.
>>
>>992708
Damned phone, brain fart, deburring tool...
>>
>>992343
>Noga and Shaviv are two brands sold in the US
They don't sound American.
>>
>>992782
Noga and Shaviv are used throughout industry. If their "sound" bothers you, name them "Liberty Burr Annihlators".

They are awesome for deburring many things. Every mechanic should have one, and if you work with cheap PC cases they deburr the sharp edges easily. They don't cost much.
>>
File: image_22772.jpg (37 KB, 800x800) Image search: [Google]
image_22772.jpg
37 KB, 800x800
For making cuts in metal stock I've been using one of these 6 inch Harbor Freight cut off saws. A hacksaw with a metal cutting blade would go pretty quick on aluminum too.

For rounding I've used Harbor Freight rotary tool grinding stone bits, and a big double sided file. Aluminum rounds and deburrs pretty quickly.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.