[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How would I go about making this
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 1
File: maxresdefault.jpg (136 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
136 KB, 1280x720
How would I go about making this
>>
materials?
>>
>>991788
Maybe EVA foam or wood would be your best bet
>>
>>991788
have a long central core of pvc pipe or a metal pipe. Buy carvable foam. Something that can be sanded. cut it and stack it on the central core so that there is equal amounts of foam on all sides and the pipe is in the middle. Now start carving and sanding till you got the cone shape then carve and sand till you get the spiral. Lathe the handle out of wood or something.

If you want it to light up, there will be a whole different process which requires some thought but it is definitely possible. All you need is a WS2812 LED strip, an arduino mini and the FastLED library or other such library and some coding. You will have to redo the blade with maybe clear resin or something. I dunno. Requires thought like i said.
>>
>>991788
If you have a dremel carve the spirals out of a shovel handel
>>
>>991797
will insulating foam work?
>>
>>991788
If you are into forging and have the gear, you could try to twist the metal while it's hot like they do for ornaments etc, it really depends on what you want.
>>
>>991803
No
>>
>>991788
Fibreglass around a foam mold then black paint for definition and it would glow nicely too. Imho
>>
>>991788
First of all we need a little information about exactly what you want, do you want it to be an actual sword (ie, made of metal) or just want it as a prop (foam, plastic etc) do you want it to light up or just want the basic form? What kind of tools do you have and what kind of budget are you dealing with? Do you have any experience with any of the processes involved? (forging, moulding, carving, electronics etc)
>>
>>991788
>How would I go about making this
Easiest way would be to carve it out of wood and just paint it. It wouldn't light up like that tho.

If I wanted to make one of these, what I would do would be to (basically) carve it out of styrene foam, embed the LEDs in it like I wanted, and then cover it with a thin layer of fiberglass. Thin fiberglass is translucent white, so the LEDs would shine through in a dark room. I would make some means by which the handle would open, so the batteries could fit in there.

Solid metal???,,,,, no fuckin way. That thing would weigh 75 lbs, you'd never be able to hold it like a normal sword. It would be so heavy that you'd have problems just trying to hang it on a wall.
>>
>>991952
You've never watched anything from https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCGca03sbLq7OUnXMdvRHyBQ have you?
>>
>>991797
>>991952
I would think taking 2 strips of adhesive backed foam would be easier. You can find them at the hardware store and adhere to the base of a PVC pipe or dowel then twist them together to create the spiral as you join them together. There will be some over-lap but its going to be trimmed up later as you shape it with an exacto blade/razor. Once its to shape, spray it down with multiple coats of paint until smooth and boom, you'd got the blade and all you need to do is craft the handle and youre done.
>>
>>991803

Yes, then just get some aluminum, and get cast it.
>>
>>991941
foam and plasic
>>
>>992059
And have it break apart as soon as someone touches it.
>>
>>992085
And the rest of the questions I asked? Do you want us to help you or not?
>>
>>992122
I'm dealing with a 50$ budget I don't need it to light up I have very basic tools I think I have like 5 power tools mostly drills and like and angle grinder and I have basic skills with carving
>>
>>992121

>cast aluminum
>falling apart when touched

What?
>>
>>992129
I was over exaggerating, I meant it's very brittle.
>>
>>991788
3 rebars a forge, a vice and very big wrench
>>
>>992132
see>>992085
>>
>>991788
there was one nig that made that funky three-bladed meme dagger
that piece is a level up of that idea
>>
If op wants that lava effect.. Hes gonnna need some serious skills. But people are saying LED strips and shit. Nope.png hes gonna need to work with fiber optic strips.. Lots of them. Other wise its gonna look like a twisted lightsaber that someone glued a ridiculously long handle too.
>>
>sculpt rough sword prototype out of wood, or clay or something easily tooled or machined.
>make silicone mold of it
>slush cast with something for hollow apparatus to include led lights
>For actual metal replica do same but use lost wax method to cast replica, or twist real metal with blacksmith like quality and then heat it up, or to preserve health and skin, drill out core of blade in a cylindrical shape
>Then just use other tooling methods to expose the centrally drilled, bored or mitered or however created hole in the core, and reveal it using previously said methods, then reveal it in in a manner to allow for the dispersal of light from a light source which is inserted into the core of the sword
>OR make sword and just paint it to look like picture.
>OR somehow use chemical such as propane or other means to produce actual burning effect assuming that's what is pictured in the pic in OP.
>wouldn't know about source material haven't played any dark souls game.
>>
Cast aluminum spiraly blade with an LED core and fiberglass stuffing. Or a shitload of fiberoptics.
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.