[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Diy garden fence
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3
File: image.jpg (3 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
3 MB, 3264x2448
Hey diy- made a raided garden (pic related). There are 3 natural barriers- house , wall and deck.

What is best way to keep deer out? Water chaser? Fence? What kind of fence that would be effective and actually look good.? Thank you!
>>
>>991662

4 ft of chicken wire and 4 fence posts. Maybe $30 at Menards or similar.
>>
>>991671
So 4 foot high and 4 posts huh?
Deer will stay out?
Will look like shit?
thanks my man
>>
>>991673
yes
probably
probably
no problem.

I put up some chicken wire fencing around my two 4x4 beds. It looks not great, but gets the job done.

Fold over part of the bottom to act as a "foot" so animals can't sneak their way under the fencing
>>
>>991676
Great advice mate thanks. I appreciate it
>>
I did a garden like this, but I made 2 plots then connected them on one end forming a U ... put 1x1 stakes around the edges screwed in, stapled green plastic deer fencing all the way around (be sure to staple to the wood part of the flower bed and not just the stakes).. made a rudimentary gate out of more 1x1's and some 2x4 with 2 hinges and covered that in deer netting... keeps out deer, rabbit, autistic children, skunks, and groundhogs. also since it's around the edges I can garden from the center without having to bend around the fencing... looks more eco gardenerish rather than straight hillbilly. cheap as hell to make as well...
>>
>>991716
Shit too late for another bed and the U idea.
Have pic of yours?
>>
>>991662
Urine, especially for pigs. That works on deer in Denmark at least.
>>
File: deerfence2[1].jpg (182 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
deerfence2[1].jpg
182 KB, 400x400
>>991662
Deer fence, my friend. 4' is nothing to deer. I used to live in a rural area with a 5 foot barbed wire fence. Even the babies hopped that with very little effort. And looked majestic as fuck doing it.

Now 8' deer fence would look pretty weird on your small planter. Can you set up a fence around the perimeter of your property?
>>
>>991978
Deer aren't going to jump a fence into a small enclosed area. The purpose of a fence in OP's situation is to prevent deer from sticking their heads over to reach the plants. 4' is fine.
>>
>>991990

They could jump over the fence and off the wall ninja style.

Is that a risk you want op to take?
>>
hear me out

lava moat
>>
>>992025

I second this notion.

You could use the heat from that to do some pretty epic BBQs on the weekends.
>>
>>991662
Here's the latest Homegrowmen thread: >>>/out/762858

I use 6-fet tall welded wire fencing which looks much like >>991978 only in heavy gauge wire. They last over 20 years before finally rusting out. I use that around my entire yard. That takes care of all deer. Nothing jumps over it unless it is being driven into the fence and is panicked.

Inside around the gardens themselves I use a solar electric fence charger and just a short fence about a foot high. It is about 1.5-2 inches off the ground and stops all raccoons, opossums, rabbits, and cats. The latter can easily jump over it, but don't after getting zapped once.

Keep in mind that 4 feet high fencing is what I had before and deer regularly jumped over that all day. For a wee tiny raised bed area like yours, a 4 feet high fence will work fine. It is when there's a large area that trouble happens. The bed in the OP only needs a 4 feet high fence.
>>
File: garden.png (581 KB, 390x517) Image search: [Google]
garden.png
581 KB, 390x517
>>991719
not the best pic, but you get the idea.

the PVC and bucket is a sprinkling system... 3/4 inch pvc is dirt cheap... glue the shit out of it to a bucket, put in ball valve or 2 to let you control it, put in something to let you unscrew the bucket come winter... then take a drill and put a bunch of holes in the long lengths on the top of the pipe (so the pipe fills and the water comes out evenly rather than drilling them on the bottom where you'll get more flow from the ones closer to the bucket) ... all you have to do to water it is turn the hose on too the bucket.. also if you want to add plant food just dump it in the bucket and it'll dispense into the beds... currently working on a second bucket that hangs above the first and acts as a timer (using a self priming siphon) so I can turn the hose on really low and have it water itself periodically throughout the day with no input from me... and no expensive electronic timers... currently have pole beans, and a few very unlucky tomatoes that my wife thinks won't die if planted this early.... not holding my breath on those.. thinking carrots for the other side perhaps?
>>
>>992276
also for the record I didn't intentionally turn the bucket like that... but apparently the universe has an appropriate sense of humor about unintentional photo ops...
>>
>>991662
Piss and blood. Great invisible fence. You have to redo it every now and then.
>>
>>992306
Doesn't work at all actually.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.