[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What is the ideal oil:gas ratio for a 2-stroke engine (chainsaw)?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2
File: 1448543195903_2.png (1 MB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
1448543195903_2.png
1 MB, 1000x1000
What is the ideal oil:gas ratio for a 2-stroke engine (chainsaw)?

Is there a specific sort of oil that is ideal for this, and chain and bar lubrication?
>>
RTFM, oil mix varies from engine to engine.
>>
>>991613
I think the bigger question you should ask yourself is "What is google and why can't I look up this simple question myself?"

Just type in the make of your chainsaw and "oil and fuel mix ratio" and you'll get your answer
>>
>>991615
Don't have the physical manual. Suppose I could look up the model. Doubt the mix is all that engine specific.

I'm really asking for a good heuristic. The internet is largely an advertisement within a mess within an advertisement. I'm drawing from multiple sources.
>>
>>991617
I did. What's really in mind when I ask a question is filling in the underpinnings of things. A chainsaw is a machine, oil is a compound, and each are slave to physics. I should be able to know a bit about a machine and be able to resolve a general spectrum of workable answers, as well as why a certain ratio is ideal.

I had help, but I've replaced the piston inside (the former owner threw it away, and after taking it apart, sure enough they ran it without mixed fuel). It just seems absurd to need to look up a specific model for a generally correct answer. It's a chainsaw.
>>
>>991619
>I'm really asking for a good heuristic.
25:1 is on the safe side. As low as 50:1 isn't that uncommon, and I've seen as high as 5:1, though (note the latter was in ringless glow-fuel engines, not spark gasoline 2-strokes). And keep a close watch on the engine's heat - if it's under-lubricated it could score the cylinder or even cause it to seize.
>>
>>991619
>Suppose I could look up the model

so you'd rather solicit random experiences of chainsaw owners than look up the model?

just use anywhere from 40:1 to 50:1. a little too much is probably better than too little
>>
>>991613
>what is the ideal fuel for my car?
>>
>>991625
Thanks. I was thinking ~16-20:1. My father had a good general number, but unfortunately I don't recall.

>>991629
>so you'd rather solicit random experiences of chainsaw owners than look up the model?
Yeah.

>>991630
I started thinking about octane ratings but ended up bypassing the whole matter by just dumping in some sugar and a few rocks instead.

Should work okay.
>>
I run everything on 32:1 since it is just 4oz to a gallon and gives me 2 mixes with the little bottle.
I always feel its better to over oil than to under oil
>>
File: Untitled-1.jpg (499 KB, 1144x946) Image search: [Google]
Untitled-1.jpg
499 KB, 1144x946
>>991619
>>991623
>The internet is largely an advertisement within a mess within an advertisement. I'm drawing from multiple sources.

Or you could spend two god damn seconds and type what you typed here into google, oh look at that first link, oh would you look at the information it gives you..
>>
>>991687
Don't respond as though you didn't read what I wrote.
>>
I was told a good trick is to fill the cap of the 2cycle oil and dump it in the chainsaw. With the rest Gas.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.