[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
hello, /diy/, I see there's plenty of components in the
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2
File: s-l500.jpg (17 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
s-l500.jpg
17 KB, 500x500
hello, /diy/, I see there's plenty of components in the market. If I wanted, could I theoretically use this as a camera? It's a 4k camera module for little above £4.
I assume I'd have to compile a driver for it (something I barely know what means), but what else?
Figure I could use this as a webcam, pocket camera or CCTV.
>>
>>991597
>could I use this camera as a camera?

You're better off going to something like DX.com and getting an already working pen camera and working from there.
>>
>>991597
>I assume I'd have to compile a driver for it (something I barely know what means),
You also have to design and build a board so you can have it communicate with the computer.
>>
File: raspberry-pi-camera-module.jpg (118 KB, 1000x750) Image search: [Google]
raspberry-pi-camera-module.jpg
118 KB, 1000x750
>>991635
there's no easy mode then.
maybe I could put it on pic related and buff the raspberry pi camera :^)
though the one in picture has a controller (?) attached to it, something the Galaxy S6 camera module doesn't seem to have.

>>991631
I don't know if you're being a cunt or not, but I don't like your post.
>>
>>991597
You'd need the COMPLETE datasheet to even begin. To get it, you'd have to sign an NDA. To even get them to notice you, you'd have to order in the thousands.
>>
>>991871
You seem knowledgeable. Is there/what are the best sites you know that provide schematics?
Besides schematics.com, ofc, if you don't mind.
>>
>>991881
Not that anon but let me help you understand what a huge task this will be:
First you need to understand how that camera works, what bus it uses, how it transmits it's data ("easy" part).
Then you need to create a board that interfaces that camera chip with whatever device you want it to plug into, for this you will have to be very profficient with electronics because I don't think any hobby solution has the "power" needed to process all that data (and even if it did you still have to code a shitload of stuff), probably you would need something like a fpga.
>>991631
What this dude said, would be the better solution for you, where you take something that already exists and modify it to your needs, and still taking into account your "skill" that would be rather difficult.
>>
>>991901
Thanks for the input. That clarifies it, clarifies the other guy's post as well (:
>>
>>991871
>You'd need the COMPLETE datasheet to even begin. To get it, you'd have to sign an NDA. To even get them to notice you, you'd have to order in the thousands.
Most places that sell normal camera modules post the data sheets online, they don't keep it a secret.
Still, it would be a lot easier to just get one that was already oriented towards DIY-use. Some imaging CCDs support dozens of image formats, and the data sheets for these things can run hundreds of pages long.

~~~~~

There are little "arduino camera" 640x480 VGA modules sold online, they have i2c control interfaces and the tech data and library for using them on arduino-style boards is already out there. They aren't expensive--the ebay (USA) ones cost $5, the direct-China ones cost ~$2. Search google, ebay, amazon or any other big shopping site.

These are NOT the same ones sold for rasberry pis; the rasberry pi cameras have a parallel interface hookup.

A normal arduino uno or mega doesn't have much memory to use these things, tho you can downsample the image to make it more manageable.
MOST people who use these cameras run them on a ARM board (arduino due) or better, since the ARM chip is way faster than the usual atmel chips and has way more memory.
>>
>>991901
>Then you need to create a board that interfaces that camera chip with whatever device you want it to plug into, for this you will have to be very profficient with electronics because I don't think any hobby solution has the "power" needed to process all that data (and even if it did you still have to code a shitload of stuff), probably you would need something like a fpga.
If you go look at the pics of the "arduino" CMOS camera boards, they have a dedicated FPGA right on the back.

This page shows how to use one on an Uno, but notice that he also has a SD card module on the Uno as well--which goes back to my earlier point that an Uno doesn't really have enough memory (on board) to do much with these images.
http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-use-OV7670-Camera-Module-with-Arduino/?ALLSTEPS
The parts are cheap and the code is out there tho.

All you need after that is a screen on there to show the picture on. And that isn't difficult or expensive either.
>>
>>991881
schematics for what? you need the complete datasheet to pull something like this off
there might or might not be a reference schematic inside the datasheet
>>
>>992058
for anything. if you have a site of schematics in your bookmarks, I want it, if you don't mind. be it to repair stuff, or just projects/components in general.

>there might or might not be a reference schematic inside the datasheet
cool
>>
>>991871
or you could just say that your going to buy a thousand of them but you'll need a sample first :^)
>>
>>992931
Kinda old thread, but I've heard of this working before. I've gotten samples of plastic and other assorted cheap shit.
>>
>>991597
These modules use controllers to interface with other systems, you just need to find the ones that know this particular module.
Connecting the whole thing is a pain in the ass, mostly because the pins are tiny. Also, you'll need to make a board for it, no need to design it as the controllers datasheet usually come with application schematics.
But once you have the controller working it becomes a piece of cake. The controllers usually hold enough memory for a frame or two and are instruction driven. They also usually give you options to interface in parallel or using some serial interface like I2C or SPI.
Not sure if saving some bucks is worth all the hassle.
>>
>>993043
Thanks for you contribution, bro. I thought these controllers/components on this particular model I used to illustrate should make the task easier. I'm glad to know/understand that it does.

Do you know where can I get the schematics required, or is it really closed as the other guy said?

>Not sure if saving some bucks is worth all the hassle.
I wouldn't mind having a cheap 4k monitoring camera/diy video camera and learning in the process.
It's more about learning how to use what's out there instead of settling for what's on the hobbyist store. What's out there is generally powerful.

Of course it can be so difficult I have to give up to get along with my life, etc...
>>
>>992064
I suggest you look up application notes from reputable component manufacturers like TI, Linear, AD and similar. Loads of great design ideas with explanations.

At all costs, avoid websites like hackaday, instructables and similar. Where there is the arduino crowd, you are guaranteed to see terrible circuits. Since you yourself are a beginner, you aren't able to differentiate between good and bad circuits yet, so it's best to just avoid those altogether.
>>
>>993167
Thanks a lot, man.
>>
1. Figure out where module is actually used.
2. Build cable extender/snoop thingy.
3. Use FPGA or logic analyzer to reverse engineer protocols and setup.
4. Build your device around an FPGA (most likely).
>>
has anyone attempted to upgrade the camera module from, say, a 1080p recording one to 4k? I'm thinking of trying that, I'm just afraid to fry my board :^)
>>
>>993798
No because that's stupid.
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.