[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Tool design
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 7
File: grizzly_creek_benchmade.jpg (79 KB, 800x700) Image search: [Google]
grizzly_creek_benchmade.jpg
79 KB, 800x700
Hi /DIY/

I'm looking at doing my first serious /DIY/ project and am hoping for a bit of advice. The project will be making an EDC tool a bit like pic related ( hunting knife from Benchmade ) but with a glassbreaker instead of a guthook, a 2.49 inch Wharncliffe blade and ( not that there is a huge difference ) a strap cutter instead of a gut hook.

I've been looking for a nice rescue tool I could carry with my daily but have yet to find one, pic related was the closest I could find to what I wanted. I'd like to design this with dymondwood instead of orange or black g10 to give it a more mellow look while making the blade short enough for it to be legal to carry anywhere. Because of this it also cannot have thumb studs ( I'm thinking nail knicks, holes like Spyderco or a flipper ) nor can it be automatic. I also can't have the blade(s) lock which, while not ideal, shouldn't be a problem with the right cutting techniques.

So what I specifically need help with is how to get started. I don't know much about design or building but I feel like I need to give this a try. I do have paper/pencil and don't know what else I'll need.

inb4 "no weapon-" I'm not designing a weapon. I am designing a tool.
>>
I hear bears are rife on busses. Good idea on the knife/glass hammer combo.
>>
File: steve_harvey_laugh.gif (2 MB, 700x394) Image search: [Google]
steve_harvey_laugh.gif
2 MB, 700x394
>>991418
Bears and Cubs are only on the buses in Chicago.

Jokes aside; a lot of knives have glass-breakers and/or gut hooks/strap cutters but I've yet to see one that looks anything like a gentleman's knife. That is what I'm going for and I just need a bit of help with learning how to design something like that.
>>
File: standard.jpg (21 KB, 450x338) Image search: [Google]
standard.jpg
21 KB, 450x338
>>991414
>how to get started
draw up your blades, frame, and scales

>cannot have thumb studs ( I'm thinking nail knicks, holes like Spyderco or a flipper ) nor can it be automatic. I also can't have the blade(s) lock

because of the wharncliffe blade youll have a pretty straight hadle, and i believe a flipper will be in the way. I suggest you include a spyderco style opening hole. Are you going to use a ball bearing detente to keep the blades open?
>>
>>991414
>>991414
just get a benchmade rescue cutter and a victorinox classic on your keychain
>>
File: 0183ORS1-B.jpg (84 KB, 1000x667) Image search: [Google]
0183ORS1-B.jpg
84 KB, 1000x667
>>991511
I hadn't thought about that; I was thinking of doing something more like the Buck 110 w/ finger grooves mixed with their Alpha Crosslock. The back bolster would have a glassbreaker, the front would be where the blades would fold out from. One would be the 2.49 inch Warencliffe and the other would be a 2.49 inch saw or serrated ( I'm thinking serrated ) blade w/ a hook. Pic related; the Alpha Crosslock.
>>
>>992464
aaand this is the earlier mentioned Buck 110. I'd like wood or bone because they give off a less-threatening vibe due to their "Gentleman knife" looks. I'd like to make that back bolster one solid piece with the glass breaker but have blades similar to the above Alpha Crosslock. I've also thought about having that back bolster be both a strap cutter/glass breaker combo or having a third blade insert which would specifically be a strap cutter that would add one big benefits extra reach ( because the strap cutter would fold out as it would if it were on the saw blade ) while not having any sharp edges aside from the cutter making it safer to use near the person ( myself, a family member, a stranger ) I'm trying to free from a seatbelt, etc. I suppose a second advantage to having a seperate fold-out strap cutter would be the ability to fit an O2 key into the arm of the strap cutter allowing it to be multi-purpose.
>>
If you're making a multitool, make one specifically geared towards fishermen.

No multitool on the market carries a decent flexible filet knife or a catfish skinner instead of pliers.
>>
>>991414
You realize that every sturdy knife is a glass breaker right? All you need is a sharp tip to break tempered glass. Sure you might fuck up the tip of your knife a little but in any situation that you need a glass breaker, a life is probably at stake, at which point who gives a fuck if you fuck up your blade tip? Glass breakers are kinda pointless additions to a knife.
>>
Buck 110s have pathetic bolsters. When mine wore I replaced it with a an aircraft screw and locknut. Ugly but much stronger.

If you are making a tool, make it tough enough to use hard.
>>
>>991414
>I also can't have the blade(s) lock

why?
>>
>>994042
Legal issues for my area. I know locking blades are safer but for some reason they are considered cringe-worthy and think a locking blade is always a tactical blade.

>>992472
If the first one turns out well ( assuming I figure out how to start in the first place ) I'll give it a go.
>>
File: 646_1_20090613154708.jpg (15 KB, 480x480) Image search: [Google]
646_1_20090613154708.jpg
15 KB, 480x480
>cant lock
>no thumb stud
>not automatic

sounds like a job for the svord peasant knife

i guess you could consider that extended tang as a glass breaker

just buy the blade and replaces the scales with your own
>>
>>991414
>I'm not designing a weapon. I am designing a tool.
A "rescue tool" that looks exactly like a hunting knife! Wow OP that's a pretty clever idea to
present in this forum.

How long did it take you to think it ?
>>
File: Triage_Glass_Breaker_detail.jpg (65 KB, 900x600) Image search: [Google]
Triage_Glass_Breaker_detail.jpg
65 KB, 900x600
>>993807
It's an easy addition though, so if OP actually goes through and makes it he might as well add it for giggles. It's usually just a square bit of metal with a tip, acting as the rear spacer and as a glass breaker, or a cylinder with a tip, glued or threaded right into the rear spacer.

There is a downside though, you can't tap/hammer with the rear of the knife anymore.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.