[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
hacking a video aux in
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 6
File: DSC00481.jpg (3 MB, 2592x1944) Image search: [Google]
DSC00481.jpg
3 MB, 2592x1944
hi /diy/

So I bought one cheap stereo a while ago and found out that it didn't have an audio in after it arrived - yes, I didn't check its specs very carefully. So now I'm trying hack one in it.

I have absolutely no knowledge of electronics but I can read and follow instructions.

This unit has an audio in 3.5mm jack on the front panel that ends at a 7 pin connector on its circuit board (hp r_out; hp l_out; hp _det; gnd; line r; line l; gnd (pic related).

As I see it, I have two options to try to connect my MoBo with it:

first, use the 3.5mm jack at the back of the MoBo and split it into 3 pins.

alternatively, use the spdif out from the MoBo and split it into 3 pins.

Since I believe that working with pin connectors is a lot easier than splitting those tiny stereo 3.5mm jack wires (done that, it worked but it was also awful), I'm leaning towards working with the spdif out.

So my idea is to make a coaxial spdif cable using an old antenna plug (75-300 ohms) to split it into 2+1 pins. I'd be using the MoBo spdif out and ground, hook up the 1 pin spdif_out with a coaxial cable and from it to the antenna plug splitting it in Line_r and Line_l and leaving the ground on a direct connection. Would it work?
>>
I meant that this set doesn't have a RCA audio in at the back panel. And hence it also doesn't have the source selector for such (as with probably every other mini stereo that isn't this particular one from from philips).

But as mentioned, it does have the 3.5mm audio in and the source selector for it.
>>
File: 3.5mm_male_to_rca_female.jpg (30 KB, 655x499) Image search: [Google]
3.5mm_male_to_rca_female.jpg
30 KB, 655x499
>>991236
>it does have the 3.5mm audio in and the source selector for it.
>>
File: serveimage.jpg (6 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
serveimage.jpg
6 KB, 300x300
>>991236
>But as mentioned, it does have the 3.5mm audio in and the source selector for it.
ok, the thing you're looking for is pic related. Plug male end into your 3.5mm input, plug your RCA cable into female ends.

unless I'm really misunderstanding the problem
>>
File: DSC00482.jpg (3 MB, 2592x1944) Image search: [Google]
DSC00482.jpg
3 MB, 2592x1944
>>991248
I have one of those. One that I made myself and a a pretty nice one that I bought later.

I failed to mention that I don't want to use the front panel since I'm planning to integrate it in a custom desk/case (pic).

I just found out that those antenna baluns output to 300ohms, so i'll probably have to scratch that. But the common coaxial terminals provide the 75 ohms. Now i'm searching for baluns that output to 75 ohms or common splitters.
>>
File: DSC00484.jpg (3 MB, 2592x1944) Image search: [Google]
DSC00484.jpg
3 MB, 2592x1944
>>991248
>>991254
>>
File: DSC00485.jpg (3 MB, 2592x1944) Image search: [Google]
DSC00485.jpg
3 MB, 2592x1944
my desk right now.
>>
>>991257
holy fuck... that reminds me to never buy anything from a smoker.. you are a filthy human man
>>
>>991259
OP here, damn it looks worse in the pic. Or I'm already perfectly acclimated with this mess.

The back of the room is even worse anon. no pics.
>>
Drill holes for RCA on the back of the stereo unit and solder it to either the backside of the 3.5mm jack or directly to line_r, line_l and gnd on the stereo board.
>>
>>991265
that's a lot better than splitting the 3.5mm jack.

Can I join the ground from both rca plugs into the same pin or is this not advisable?

I thought of the spdif because I found by chance some old components laying around and also by chance was reading one post that recommended one of those passive antenna splitters for this task (it was only one en passant comment, so i decided to do some further reading, well try to, since I couldn't find much else so far). And because the end result would look a bit better than some hacked 3.5mm split into 3 pins, as I mentioned.

It does look a bit simpler to work with the RCA jacks than with the spdif, especially because I'm beginning to notice that the forums and diy's that I'm reading at the moment are starting to ramp up in complexity.

I don't have access to a soldering iron, but I beleive that if I purchase a couple of fem RCA's screw terminals and the correct pin connectors I can make a decent job; or simply hide the mess inside the stereo case.

thanks anon.
>>
Do what >>991265 said but I would suggest adding a DPDT (Double Pole Double Throw) switch (on/on or on/off/on) inbetween so you can switch between 3.5 and RCA or you might get all kinds of weird shit like crosstalk or turning both inputs into inputs and outputs at the same time, which neither makes sense, nor do you want it.
>>
Hey.

If you want to output regular sound from a regular source (mobile, pc ect.) then you don't need to match the impedance of the receiver and transmitter..

It is low frequency with respect to transmission line theory. Also your source is low impedance 1-10ohm, and your receiver is high impedance ~10k-47kohm (if not a headset)

This means that the matching is already poor, but standing waves and reflections will not be a problem at Lf (music).

The passive antenna dividers does not work at such low frequencies, they work from some 100kHz to some 100MHz dependant of the type.
At Lf they will basically act either as an wire, or as an open.
>>
>>991530
I'm not exactly sure if you suggested the switch because you assumed that I would be joining the pins leaving both the front panel jack and the passthrough to my MoBo working simultaneously or for some other reason (please explain if that's the case; it's a direct pin connect from the rca jacks (soldered*) and from the p2/rca cable, I've never found about any troubles regarding that conversion (analog to analog is always fine if the pins match, right?)).

I'll make a bypass from the audio in jack to the mic in on the mobo and connect only the rca jack receiving the front speakers out (2.0) p2 from the MoBo,as below:

hp_rout - remains the same
hp_lout - idem
hp_det -ibidem
gnd -ibidem

Line_r -> rca jack ->
. -> mobo p2
Line_l -> rca jack ->
gnd -> rca jack

3 loose cables remain.

the 3 cables coming from the stereo itself, I'll solder (or rather, have my cousin do that for me) to another set of rca jacks that I have already purchased and I'm also planning to buy another p2/rca cable soon. I could also do this bypass diretcly to the unused mobo front panel audio pins (got both pin headers for that), but I think the final result would a bit cleaner overall with the rca jacks all around (no other reasoning than that, and the components are dirt cheap either way).

I couldn't buy my entire shopping list today but I already managed to find them all online; that 7 pin fem latch in OP's pic (it's a metaltex PH F4-07 - 2mm pitch, 7 pins, (every single place I went today had every possible connector but the 7 pins in stock...).

*I managed to convince my cousin to come over with his tools next saturday and do some hard work in my stead in exchange for meat and beer.

thanks anon.
>>
>>991542

When I first thought of the spdif hack I actually didn't know anything about it. During my last night readings I got under the impression that my original idea would never work simply because I never into account the need for a digital-analog conversor. If I understood your post correctly I wouldn't need it but nothing more than a better splitter? (I have one of those cable tv ones, rated for 5mhz-1000mhz (-3.5db on both ends) but I have no clue regarding those freqs... and as I said, the subject was already starting to go way over my head but I could deduce from one article, or more like a random diy post, that such direct connection could never work.

thank you as well.
>>
>>991640
line_r -->
...............-> 1 pin from the 3 pin double rca jack
...................................................................................>p2/rca cable plugged into the MoBo's p2 front spkr out
...............-> 1 pin from the 3 pin double rca jack
line_l ->
gnd -> 1 pin from the 3 pin double rca jack

3 remaining wires from the stereo front panel audio in that originally went into the last 3 pins that were hacked for this custom rca in:
line_r -> 2nd double rca jack
line _l -> 2nd double rca jack
gnd ->rca jack gnd

and from there to the mobo as well.

I think I left that post a bit confusing. Hope this one will manage to explain my idea a bit better.
>>
>>991653
with this, I'll have an amped headset (audio in from the computer) and the bypassed mic (stereo straight to mobo) using the stereo front panel jacks - which was why I bought this particular model, by the way. It was compact and had 2 p2 jacks side by side at the front.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.