[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Crafts
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1
File: tumblr_o23baypV9L1sp2yu3o3_540.jpg (423 KB, 524x800) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_o23baypV9L1sp2yu3o3_540.jpg
423 KB, 524x800
hey, /diy/kes,
I love crafting, and I am planning on making a sculpture out of paper mache using paper, obviously. Ill seal it, prime it and paint it after. I've done this sort of thing before, like for shitty school projects, but never this big. It will be a life size woman-deity. I need to know about your experiences, thoughts and, most importantly, what is the best way to make the STRONGEST paper mache recipe I can?
>>
>>991143
>what is the best way to make the STRONGEST paper mache recipe I can

Use paper in its raw state. And by that I mean use wood.
>>
>>991185
Not untrue, I guess. But I may want to move it ever, so theres that.
>>
>>991143
strongest paper mache recipe:

acquire woven carbon fiber, which is like fabric
add resin and hardener
use paper mache technique (yes it works)

had an art student at my uni do this for a huge-ass standing archway, will send pics if i can find them
>>
>>991143
You should use clay instead... What you do is core a human looking figure in construction Styrofoam. Then pack layers of clay ontop of it. To keep the weight down. Once your done you let the clay drt out and tend to any cracks. Then you get a ton of plaster and old cotton/linen rags and make a postive mold from your clay. Split the plaster in half and now you can lay gelcoat then fiberglass or carbon fiber. From there.. You paint it. And add any lights/clothing.

If you're gonna do this. Do it right. Especially for something life sized.
>>
>>991198
please do. that sounds intense, as intense as paper mache gets, but i would love to do and see it. Thank you
>>
>>991202
No, that sounds awesome. But I am kind of poor. I was leaning towards paper mache because its paper an, depending on the recipe, flour/glue/water etc. I want to do this in a big way, but I dont exactly have the big bucks. Or medium bucks.
>>
OP here, Its been a coupla days and I havent gotten any paper mache recipes for strength yet. Not carbon fiber or clay, because I dont have those at my disposal. Any more suggestions?
>>
Google stolloween - best paper mache artist ever.

You can mache over wire, cord, plastic - anything that adds strength. Just build a wire former to the approx shape you need.
>>
>>992100
will do, friend
Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.