[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
soldering
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 9
File: fucking cat.webm (3 MB, 720x1280) Image search: [Google]
fucking cat.webm
3 MB, 720x1280
>piece of shit cat chews wires on brand new etyMK5s
>right side no longer works
>chop off the chew piece
>tie wires together and burn plastic off the knots so there's contact
>no soldering iron so this is the best i can do
>connections are completely broken now

what did i do wrong, or do I just need a soldering iron?
>>
>>990787
yugh... Try burning it off before you tie the knot, you might have a glob of plastic right where you're trying to make contact.

Is the shield of the wire metallic or just some fibrous nylon or something? You're holding it back with tape it looks like. If it's metallic tie those together.

You got all the like wires tied to their same color on the other side? Meh, should make some noise at least, it very well may sound shit still. A couple ohms of a shitty job is the difference between normal headphones and virtually no sound.

If you aren't going to buy a soldering iron or DIY one out of a power supply or something... I'd either pay the manufacturer for a repair (They often do that) Or call around to some local cell phone repair guys. Some of them do soldering and more advanced repairs and this wouldn't be a big deal for them. I'd ask for a brand new cable, and just replace the whole thing from the headphones. Or even put a jack in the headphones so you can just replace the cable whenever.
>>
>>990791
>Is the shield of the wire metallic or just some fibrous nylon or something? You're holding it back with tape it looks like. If it's metallic tie those together.
It's fibrous nylon.
>yugh... Try burning it off before you tie the knot, you might have a glob of plastic right where you're trying to make contact.
I can try using a butane torch to burn off the rest of the plastic I guess, or I could just try to keep burning the same spot with a normal lighter.

>You got all the like wires tied to their same color on the other side? Meh, should make some noise at least, it very well may sound shit still. A couple ohms of a shitty job is the difference between normal headphones and virtually no sound.
Yeah they're all tied together correctly. I did this before with another set she chewed (I'm getting rid of her after this bullshit), but I had access to a soldering iron then so it turned out okay. What do you mean by the last sentence there?

I just ordered a new set after I found out she broke them, but I would like to fix these if possible. She broken completely severed the green wire in the piece she was chewing.
>>
>>990787
Pour your cat a bowl of engine coolant/antifreeze. It will drink it trust me or pour it in its food. It will die. Throw cat in the garbage.

Never worry about it again.
>>
looks like i fucked the wires trying to get the sleeve off without the proper tool and that's why it's not working at all. will cut off more and try again. hopefully the cable doesn't get too short.
>>
>>990787
Buy a soldering iron. They're like $10 and you'll be able to fix a bunch of shit.
>>
File: 20160509_031459.jpg (3 MB, 4160x3120) Image search: [Google]
20160509_031459.jpg
3 MB, 4160x3120
was able to get the ride channel working but it's spotty because of shitty connections with just ties.

can't get the left channel working no matter how much i fuck with it. i think it's the blue wire because that's the only one the right channel isn't affected by.
>>
>>990807
jesus christ what the fuck. right channel not ride channel.
>>
Well since this is about soldering... Whats the best way to get rid of the coating on small headphone wires? They are covered with some metallic looking paint and appearently its insulating. Help plz
>>
>>990820
flames
>>
>>990821
Really? The wires is really Hard to solder together after burning them. Any good way to get rid of the soot?
>>
>>990825
scrape it off with a sharp edge
>>
File: 1443116132227.webm (3 MB, 500x281) Image search: [Google]
1443116132227.webm
3 MB, 500x281
>>
File: 136239405383.webm (3 MB, 480x310) Image search: [Google]
136239405383.webm
3 MB, 480x310
>>
>>990787
>what did i do wrong,
A few things
Hint: burning or scraping the laquer off the wires pretty much ensures failure
> or do I just need a soldering iron?
yes, you will

Okay dingleberries, here is how you fix headphone wires the correct way:

You need-
A. some scissors
B. a soldering iron and solder + flux (electronics solder, not plumbing solder)
C. you need some oil-based model paint and a little paint brush for it.
D. you need 2 or 3 pieces of thin heat-shrink tubing, one piece of thicker heat-shrink tubing and a way to shrink the tubing--a heat gun, or a cigarette lighter or some matches.

Step-by-step:
1. cut the whole ends of both wires off square with the scissors.
2. trim away the outer jacket and the fluffy stuff for an inch or so, leaving only the 3 lacquered/interior wires.
3. put the big piece of heat-shrink tubing over one side of the whole wire.
3. place a little heat-shrink tube over one single wire, place the matching wires butting together, and solder one tiny drop of solder to join them.
4. RIGHT after you solder each little wire pair, paint the area over with some model paint. Let it dry, and then scoot the little piece of heat-shrink tube over it and shrink that tube in place.
5. repeat steps #3 and #4 for the other two wires. (you can test the headphones/connections at this point, if you wish)
6. now all 3 little wires should be soldered, painted and have heat-shrink tubing over them.
7. Scoot the BIG piece over all three, and shrink it in place.

Headphone wires are very thin ribbon wire, they will oxidize and fail very quickly if they don't have lacquer to protect them. The soldering will burn some of the lacquer off, so that is what the paint is for.

The heat-shrink tubing is to keep the wires from bending where they are soldered. They will break very easily at that point, so you must never bend them (or pull on them!) at that location again.
>>
>>990873
Thank you for this post Anon.
>>
>>990873
I don't have that shit and I've never done it that way with any other headphones and it has been fine. I just tie them in knots, solder them, tape the joints, then tape the whole wire. Wires have never oxidised and failed; only broken the solder joint
>>
>>990787
Kid, 4chan is an 18+ only board.

Now, put that shit down and have your parents order you a soldering iron, some solder, and heat shrink tubing. Youtube how to solder shit.

>>990873
>Hint: burning or scraping the laquer off the wires pretty much ensures failure

Burning the lacquer off is exactly what you do every time when soldering and it works 100% if you are not a retard, you god damn fucking idiot.
>>
>>990882
Fuck off retard. I moved and didn't have access to the soldering iron my grandfather owns anymore. Didn't think to buy one considering how infrequently it would be used.
>>
File: Untitled.png (39 KB, 951x456) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
39 KB, 951x456
>>
>>990891
I'm not. Epic meme.
>>
>>990883
Look, you're not going to get very far without solder. You can try wrapping the wires together but the only to get a permanent solution would be solder. Grab yourself a $10 chinese soldering iron and some solder, as well as some heatshrink tubing (and a lighter if you don't own that either for some fucking reason)
>>
>>990883
>Hey guize, I'd like to fix something but I have no interest in spending $10 so I can do it right

Your grandfather had the same DIY spirit. If he'd only used condoms instead of party balloons maybe we'd have gotten lucky and not had to deal with you being born.
>>
Learn a better splice.
Soldering is super cheap, get to Harbor Freight.
Heat shrink tubing is your friend.
>>
>>990932
Fuck you cunt

>>990902
Any reason why the right one works now but the left doesn't? I tied and burned all the wires in the same place and same way.
>>
>>990882
>Burning the lacquer off is exactly what you do every time when soldering and it works 100% if you are not a retard, you god damn fucking idiot.
Yea, but no.
When you use the method I described, the only place that the lacquer gets burned off is where the solder is.

Headphone wire is not actually round wire: it is a very thin strip of copper, that sometimes look like wires because it's coiled up into a wire shape.
You MUST keep it sealed against air, or it will corrode through just from atmospheric humidity.

So you want to remove as little of the original lacquer as possible, and then *immediately* re-coat any exposed spots with oil-based paint, to re-seal the exposed areas again.
And then you have to use something externally over it, to make sure it doesn't bend at that point anymore. That is what the heat-shrink tubing is for.
>>
>>990787
learn how to lineman's splice
>>
File: 1461540932844.jpg (66 KB, 658x1000) Image search: [Google]
1461540932844.jpg
66 KB, 658x1000
>>990787
>do I just need a soldering iron?
yes, dont bother getting an expensive one, get one like pic related.
>>
>>991535
You made my day with this pic.

Thank you.
>>
File: derplo_01ur892.png (18 KB, 600x441) Image search: [Google]
derplo_01ur892.png
18 KB, 600x441
>>990880
>I don't have that shit and I've never done it that way with any other headphones and it has been fine. I just tie them in knots, solder them, tape the joints, then tape the whole wire. Wires have never oxidised and failed; only broken the solder joint
>I don't have that shit and I've never done it that way
> and it has been fine.
>only broken the solder joint
doesn't seem as if it worked so fine then
>>
>>991535
good thing she's wearing safety goggles

too many idiots forego them nowadays
>>
>>991534
This.
also, solder it ,
then hatshrink wrap with a lighter to properly insulate your new______
>>
>>990792
don't get rid of your cat you moron, take better care of your things. leave your IEMs where she can't reach, etc. it's literally YOUR fault, not hers.
>>
File: F1HXOAZI6AVRL0O.MEDIUM.jpg (23 KB, 620x348) Image search: [Google]
F1HXOAZI6AVRL0O.MEDIUM.jpg
23 KB, 620x348
>>990883
bro, you literally need one candle, one fixed steel wire and soldering wire for this job.
you're soldering a wire, not a board. it's the easiest job of all.

this setup in pic related is even simpler than what I suggested.
>>
>>991535
>picture shows cleanroom cleantable
>woman scientist obviously using a CR2032 prod
anon pls.
>>
>>990792
>I'm getting rid of her after this bullshit
>getting rid of a small, harmless unintelligent animal because you can't keep your fucking things in order
You'd make a wonderful father. Please castrate yourself with a couple of bricks thx.
>>
This thread just keeps getting better and better
Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.