[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
WHAT IS THE NAME OF THIS BIT
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 5
File: FH14NOV_HAMDRL_09.jpg (13 KB, 450x355) Image search: [Google]
FH14NOV_HAMDRL_09.jpg
13 KB, 450x355
I have tried Google to NO AVAIL.

The rotary hammer chisel bit that I am looking for is NOT in this picture.

The one that I am looking for LOOKS LIKE the last one in the picture, EXCEPT it has a V-notch in it.

I have looked up 'V-cut' chisel bits, but NOTHING comes up for what I am looking for. I have seen them in the store, but I'm trying to order one online, but I DON"T KNOW WHAT THEY ARE CALLED.

Can someone please TELL ME WHAT I AM LOOKING FOR.
>>
>>990711

you're looking for a tool to cut a v notch in a bit
>>
>>990713

Thanks, but I'd rather just buy the bit that already has the V-notch in it.

Too bad I don't know what it's called.
>>
File: prod_6805454130.jpg (3 KB, 315x315) Image search: [Google]
prod_6805454130.jpg
3 KB, 315x315
Are you looking for something like this?
They are called cutter chisels, but I never see them for SDS
>>
>>990716

Thank you ! That is probably what I am looking for !

I assume these cutter chisels come in various sizes and different notch depths ?

Btw, excuse my greenness, but what is SDS ?
>>
>>990731
A really crappy bit standard
>>
>>990759

So when buying the bit, what standard should I be looking for ?

I'm trying to buy it for my Dewalt 10 Amp 1/2" Pistol Grip Hammer Drill.
>>
>>990857
>Dewalt 10 Amp 1/2" Pistol Grip Hammer Drill
you mean this?
Those bits will not work in this drill, it doesnt have a real hammer action in it and theres no way to turn the rotation off and just hammer.
>>
>>990731

What are you trying to do OP?
>>
>>990857
You need this stuff below for >>990716

Air Impact Hammer
http://www.harborfreight.com/medium-barrel-air-impact-hammer-69866.html

To be used with

Air Compressor
http://www.harborfreight.com/3-gal-13-hp-100-psi-oilless-pancake-air-compressor-61615.html

An impact drill spins and hammers while an impact hammer doesn't spin, but it does hammer.
>>
>>990759
Clueless.

>>990865
SDS+

This drill wont be much good if you're using non rotary hammer action tools.

The thing is with a jacobs style chuck it relies on friction alone. If you're constantly sending blows through the bit and the chuck it will quickly work loose.

That's why SDS/+/Max Lock into the chuck through a series of grooves and ball bearings, so even in the chuck the bit remains with a bit of freedom to move without being able to come out of the chuck.
>>
Well, it is a rotary hammer, and I do want the cutter chisel to spin and slam at the same time.

>>990867

I'm trying to take the lid off a 50 gallon drum. It's only .9mm thick, so my tool should do the job.

But as always, I am open to advice.
>>
>>991188
recipro saw.
>>
File: image_25398.jpg (62 KB, 1200x1200) Image search: [Google]
image_25398.jpg
62 KB, 1200x1200
>>991197

this, the cheap harbor freight one with the rotating head is actually a beast and only like 20-35 bucks depending on what week it is.
>>
>>991215

A decent set of blades will cost as much as the unit, but its worth it. Don't get the warrior blades at harbor freight, they are not very good and usually not very cheap.

They pull you in with the cheap decent tool and try to soak you for mid-tier prices on shit-tier blades.
>>
>>991188
Sawzall will do the trick. Or angle grinder, but that will take a while.
>>
>>991215
Can anyone else vouch for the harbor freight sawzall? I need to get one but I'm unsure if I should drop 100+ on a good one when I would rarely need it.
>>
>>991215
>>991219
DO NOT get this piece of shit
After about an hour of run time they either lock up or strip the gears out
>>
>>991215

So the saw will do a better trick than the rotary hammer with the cutter chisel ?

I'll be game for that if the saw is only 20 to 35 bucks like you say.

But I already do have the rotary hammer, and my buddy can get bits at wholesale, I just needed to know what the actual bit name was.

If the bit idea is good, anyone have any recommendations for what particular bit I should use for my particular rotary hammer ?

Or with the saw, how many blades do you think I'll need to cut the lid off the drum ? 0.9 mm might not be much, but it is carbon steel mind you.
>>
>>991249
The drill bit wont work in your drill. Do you not own an angle grinder?
>>
>>990888
plus the hammer action on the shitty hammerdrills with jacobs chucks just vibrate, they don't put enough energy through the bit, so unless you're putting it in your vagina with a dildo, it won't do shit, you need a rotary hammer

just rent one, chances are unless you're dong construction for a living you'll never, fucking ever need one enough to make renting the tool more expensive than buying one

and if this is for cutting spot welds just use an air hammer like you're suppose to

it's easier to justify buying a decent compressor and a small/cheap/shitty air hammer than a rotary hammer

since that $50 air hammer and that $300 compressor can be used for other shit like impact drivers, and die grinders, and air nippers and air sanders, and god knows what else come engineer came up with to pry open our wallets
>>
>>991264
rent an angle grinder
>>
>>991273

Or buy one. Only thing is, they would take forever, and I would still need to go through a couple blades :/

So the cutter chisel for my rotary hammer is out of the question huh :/

So is the recipro saw still a good idea for cutting through a 0.9mm steel lid ?
>>
reciprocating saw + blades or a cutting torch. Problem solved.
>>
>>991219
Don't get the rotating head one - it's got a plastice frame and is generally terrible. The standard HF one is fine for casual work and actually even cheaper.

HF blades are garbage though. Expect to go through 2-3 of them on your drum, the teeth round off very easily.
>>
>>990711
>Well, it is a rotary hammer, and I do want the cutter chisel to spin and slam at the same time.
>

What...a cutter chisel isn't supposed to spin.
>>
https://youtu.be/CNjWC3IbxMk

It works like this.
>>
>>991317
Just call a garage and ask if they can use their air chisel to do that for you.
>>
>>991249

Your drill wont do that job. As another anon said you want compressed air for that tool ideally.

Also what was the drum used for? They can be dangerous as fuck if used for chemicals and you ignite them.
>>
>>991325

Also its not in the spirit of /diy/ but an open top drum is looking like its a cheaper and better option at this point. Even a brand new one would be less that the tools you will need.
>>
>>991188
You mean I sat through this bullshit to discover it was just bait?

Well played.
>>
>>991242

I know its cool to hate on harbor freight but you don't need to make shit up.

I used mine to cut up a cast iron bath tub. It was highly abusive to say the least. Yes it still works.
>>
>>991359
I had 3 of those and all 3 stripped their gears.
>>
>>991325

Drum is actually brand new and empty. I spent 20 bucks on it. You can see why I don't want to get a whole different one.

>>991287

I think I'll go with your idea. Could you maybe recommend specifically what brand and model piece I should get, as well as what type of blade for the tool if I am to cut through 0.9 mm of carbon steel ?

Again, thanks for all the advise so far guys.
>>
>>991371

You making an ugly drum smoker?
>>
Where on the barrel you want to cut matters. If you want to SLICE the entire end off, angle grinder with a 6" cutting disc is outstanding.

If you want to cut the inside of the lid off but leave the rim, you can do it cheap with a large SHARP cold chisel held in a pair of visegrips. I wear ear plugs for obvious reasons.

Everyone should have a sawzall. I buy used corded sawzalls cheap. Not much to go wrong and brushes are easy to replace if needed. Milwaukee and DeWalt work well. Ereplacementparts website has the exploded diagrams but I often get parts cheaper off Ebay. Get comfy with used quality tools and you can end up with MANY more than if you had to pay retail.

Also look for 'Harbor Freight tools that don't suck" threads online. There are many.
>>
>>991359
>>991370
That's the thing about harbor freight tools, the quality control is shit, and it's hit or miss.
>>
>>991359
>I used mine to cut up a cast iron bath tub.

Much faster if you use an angle grinder.
Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.