[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey there diy, you guys are the only useful board and I need
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 3
File: image.jpg (875 KB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
875 KB, 3264x2448
Hey there diy, you guys are the only useful board and I need your help due to google not showing me anything productive.

The spout of my tub does pic related. When the shower is on it just has water coming out of it still in pretty steady smaller streams. The thing at the top you pull is stuck, I can't push it or pull it without the spout flexing and making me feel like I'm about to break it.

I tried google but I must not know the proper words, everything that comes up involves the spout leaking while it's off and that's not the issue I'm having.

I'm currently in government dorms due to being in the military, and CE should fix this but due to a backlog they probably won't be by for over a month and this is seriously impeding my shower time because it doesn't have enough water pressure with the spout leaking. So i can't hire anyone and I want to try to fix it myself if possible.

Has anyone had similar problems and is there a relatively easy fix for this? I'd appreciate any help I can get
>>
>>990666
Turn the water off to that. Unscrew the entire spout, take out the stopper. Use a wire brush up inside to get all the build up out. Put rest into vinegar for like a day repeat brushing until clean. Replace the rubber sealer/ring thing.

It should work fine after that. Or buy a new one and screw it on instead. Remember pipe tape for the threads.
>>
>>990677
>turn off the water

The only access to is this, not the main source. Am I fucked?
>>
File: image.jpg (708 KB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
708 KB, 3264x2448
>>990683
Oops, pic related
>>
>>990683
Nah, you don't need to turn of the water main to fix the shower/tub diverter valve. Here, have a black butch lesbian chick's video. She says nipple a lot. Caulk also comes up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gS1kthVjPuw
>>
>>990683
>>990691
Turning the water off is what you do no matter what you are doing when working on anything water pipe related.

>>990683
Also, what the fuck? Isn't there a shut off in the access hatch for the shower/tub assembly?
>>
>>990900
OP doesn't live in a perfect world. He can spend $15 and do it himself without turning off the main (which will work because the bathtub valve is right there), or he can have crappy showers for a month. A rule of thumb is a general guideline to help you prevent general mistakes, but sometimes can be disregarded in specific situations when you understand the problem.

Would I generally turn off the main bathroom valve? Yes. Would I fix the diverter valve anyway if I were OP? Yes.
>>
>>990900
I would in any scenario other than this.

I live in a 4x4 dorm everything leads to a main for certain quadrants of the building AFAIK that I do not have access to.

>>991011
Thanks. Some sites that I found (now that I know the terminology from the black lesbians video) also said it would be fine to not turn the water off at the main.

One issue I might run into though, it looks like the faucet is caulked to the tile. Could I pull it off or do I have to do something to the caulk? Would I need to recaulk? It seems like most sites and videos don't have the faucet with caulk around it.

Planning on doing this tomorrow since I finally have a day off
>>
Just wait for them to fix it. Jam a wash cloth into the faucet to increase water pressure.
>>
>>991564
You just peel/scrape it off without dorking up the tile or fixture if you're going to try to reuse it. Re-caulking not only looks nice, but prevents moisture from getting behind the tile. If you buy a new spigot and you're unlucky, the most you can tighten it and have it still be upright there will be a wide enough gap that you know moisture is going to get all up in there. Besides, being in the military, you know you should do it right anyway.

Advice: Take a shower beforehand, start in the morning, make sure you have all the tools you need, physically bring the parts to be replaced with you to the hardware store, and don't fuck up Uncle Sam's shit. Don't sweat it, this is an easy fix. Good luck.
>>
>>990691
>>991011
>>991564
>no need to turn the water off

I can see you've never been called out to a job where someone did what you suggested but somehow fucked it up or it was already a little cracked and started pouring water between the walls.

>dorm

Check your contract, you are probably not allowed to do this yourself. At least call them about it.
>>
Broken valve
>>
>>991664
i can see you haven't read the thread, or even the posts you cited, and apparently don't understand the situation op is in.
>>
>>991672
You're just an idiot it seems.
>>
>>991648
>Besides, being in the military, you know you should do it right anyway.

Thanks, I needed a chuckle.
>>
>>991708
sick burn m8. what would you do in his situation? take showers for 2 months with pressure more weak than a toddlers piss stream or risk a 1 in a 1000 chance of rupturing a pipe and damaging property that's not even yours?
>>
>>990677
>Unscrew the entire spout
Might not be the screw type. There may be a screw underneath you have to loosen with an allen wrench, then pull it off.
>>
>>991728
>i actually watched the entire black lesbian video previously posted

helpful and mentioned this possibility. pretty much covered everything to it.
>>
>>991664
>Check your contract, you are probably not allowed to do this yourself. At least call them about it.

Not OP, but I know for Marine Corps, most BEQ's I stayed in had regs posted near the enterance regarding maintenance. I forget the exact wording, but it boiled down to: they encourage everyone to fix as much easy shit themselves as is possible, with the hope of saving the gov a few bugerbucks in the long run. I imagine it would also help keep the BEQ managers job a bit easier.
>>
>>991571
Like I said I would but it's impacting my daily life if it wasnt such a problem I'd leave it.

>>991648
Thanks for the advice

>>991664
>>991742
The air force wants CE to do everything but theyre kind of retards to begin with

>>991728
>>991731
There's a screw hole underneath but I'm having trouble figuring out if theres actually a screw in there since I cant see in well. I tried taking some pics of it with my phone but I really cant find a screw.
Today I went and bought some WD40 and I just tried spraying around the pull thing for the diverter and into the actual faucet, per another youtube videos reccomendation to try first incase it was just stuck and didnt need to be entirely replaced. Currently waiting to see if it loosens it at all.

If not then I'll have to try finding the screw again
>>
>>991712
The military will have no issues billing you for it. Remember they write your checks.
>>
File: image.jpg (1 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1 MB, 3264x2448
I can't find a screw despite a screw hole. Is it most likely a twist on even with the hole?

Pic related, picture inside the screw hole
>>
>>990666
Get some Lysol lime and rust toilet bowl cleaner and squirt it into spout let set a bit ....work like a new one.
>>
>>992501
Probably, if you can't see any other way the fucker's attached. That bitch is gonna be corroded on there pretty good. No doubt that's what janked up the diverter valve. Definitely want to replace both the spigot and the pipe.

>>992533
OP might wanna give that a try first.
>>
>>992533
>>992539
Well that's where the pipe is at, the spout doesn't look THAT bad but I'll try that first and report back since wd40 didn't loosen anything up
>>
>>992501
If you look closely there appear to be circles on the copper pipe within. They look like marks from a set screw that is now gone.

Just twist and yank it off. Maybe tapping it gently with a hammer to crack any lime build up that is holding it on. Use an emory cloth to clean the pipe a bit, push a new one on, set the screw.
>>
>>992501
By the way, after the spigot is removed, you should check that the gap is sealed around the copper pipe where it meats the wall. This wasn't done in my house and water ran along that pipe into the wall and made a water mark on the ceiling below.
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.