[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Fucking ants
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 3
Newfag here. Anyone have homemade recipes to deal with ants without using poison?
>>
>>990510
acetone peroxide
>>
Baby powder
>>
>>990510
Borax and icing sugar.
>>
>>990512
FPBP
>>
>>990510
electric
>>
clean your filthy house
>>
File: 0007154901979_500X500.jpg (60 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
0007154901979_500X500.jpg
60 KB, 500x500
I just used this stuff today;

I had a couple of “sugar ants” last year in the kitchen and my buddy, who had a whole bunch under the sink last year, says this stuff is the best.

It’s supposedly safe for indoor use and doesn’t smell, though I sprayed it around outside at the base of the front and back doors and outside window sills. It’s got a wand type sprayer that uses 2 AA battery pump to spray a pretty good stream out to about 2’ away, so you don’t have to crawl around.
>>
>>990510
When i was a kid i just mixed everything under the sink in a glass until it started bubbling vigorously and poured that onto an ant hill.

They were all dead within minutes
>>
diatomaceous earth
>>
Draw chalk where you dont want them to cross.
>>
>>990510
use poison
>>
>>990510
>deal with ants without using poison?
cucumber
>>
>>990510
Boric Acid and Diatomaceous Earth

just spritz it into all the cracks and crevices

also clean your pigsty
>>
clean your damn house
>>
>>990510
HAVE YOU TRIED POURING MOLTEN ALUMINUM DOWN THEIR NEST?
>>
not OP but we have an ant problem as well,
and cleaning house is not the problem here,
its a completely unused part of the house and they seem to get drawn by some insulation that was laying around during construction

few years ago they got into a wooden beam and completely destroyed it too, used poison at that time but didnt seemed to completely rod them out
>>
>>990540
this
I get ants every year in the spring, and this does the trick. Terro ant traps are just borax+sugar if you don't want to do it yourself, I bought a bulk supply of it a few years back.
Basically, they can't digest borax and when they take it back to their colony they all die.
>>
>>991161
3rded ?

Terro bait "traps" have always worked for me,

Last time landlord was working on his vinyl siding

>sudden explosion of ants out of the walls.

Put down bait , ants go nuts for it for two days

>3rd day, no ants.

>Shit they're in the exterior walls mang.

Feels good to be moving out in a couple months.
>>
>>990510
Boric acid.. nuff said..
>>
To get rid of an already existant ant infestation use a boric acid bate. Terro works great but costs an insane amount of money for what it is.

Boron uptake and colony decimation occurs in solutions containing a concentration of 1-5% boron by atomic weight in all studies. Time to colony collapse varries with concentration.

A half cup of sugar, half cup of corn syrup and a good tablespoon or two of borax will plop you right in this range. Mix the stuff together with just enough hot water to dissolve both the sugar and borax.

Bait along established ant trails and the colony will be dead in 2-3 days. Raid and the like only kill the ants it is applied to. Once ants stop returning from those trails the pheramone trail they follow dries up and new ants wont follow it. Boron and other bait pesticides are low toxicity and require significant levels of boron to become toxic, and even then is a slow killer allowing them to be spread throughout the colony.
>>
Jam glasses filled with hot water have worked for me in the past. Throw some ants in there, more will follow. They somehow want to help the ants in there, but if they go into the water they get cooked.
>>
grits
>>
Lemon juice
>>
>>990540
I recommend this for I door use. Just keep it away from animals.

In the yard I would dust with diatomaceous earth. It kills anything with an exoskeleton, meaning chargers, mites, fleas, ticks, ants, scorpions, centipedes, spiders,etc are all fucked if they enter your domain.
>>
>>990779
Hahaha you probably nearly mustard gassed yourself.
>>
>>992190
Chlorine gas, rather, upon fact check.
>>
Buy a bottle of pancake syrup, empty it to about half way. Leave the bottle in an area where ants frequent and soon you'll have a bottle of syrup plus ants.
>>
>>992186
>diatomaceous earth.

This.

You can eat a bowl of the shit and be okay but if anything with an exoskellington touches it they're toast.

I sprinkle it on my chickens to kill any pests they may have on them.
>>
After cleaning up you can spread some cinnemon, they hate it, it fucks with their scent tracing. Successfully beat back a swarming of flying ants coming out of the wall bu putting down a line of cinnemon where they crawled out.
>>
>>990512
This, OP.
Ants literally BTFO.
>>
Sounds like some hippy dippy shit but ants fucking hate peppermint oil and it fucks up their pheromone trails. More of a temporary deterrent but works like hell.
>>
>>993025
Hi! I'm currently working for a manufacturer for Leslie's Pool Supplies' DE. DE is a very potent carcinogen and has silicate in it. Please do not advise that people consume, inhale, or get their face anywhere near that shit, it's horrible what it can do to you in the business. There's a reason it's illegal in several states to sell for pool use, and why something as weird as cellulose fiber is selling so well now. As far as being a consumer who handles D.E., if you were to inhale a large amount into your lungs, you'd be up shit creek trying to get something smaller than 8 microns out of your goddamn lungs. You'll have that shit in your body for the rest of your life babe, shit's like mercury brah
>>
>>993616
>DE is a very potent carcinogen
wrong, look up the difference between amorphous and structured silica

Most Diatomaceous earth is FOOD GRADE, for fuck's sake.

> if you were to inhale a large amount into your lungs, you'd be up shit creek trying to get something smaller than 8 microns out of your goddamn lungs
no more difficult than a lungful of smoke (from a fire if not a cigarette). Your lungs naturally clean themselves quite well.
>>
>>993620
Why bother answering? He's obviously never graduated high school.
>>
>>993620
Sorry, I guess my blue collar is showing. I do handle the actual stuff and this is literally what is posted everywhere in the buildings. 'Food grade' and 'pool grade' de that has more than 1% silicate are different, I believe, though, but yeah, it's important to note that the reason it can cut the skeleton of a exoskeletal insect is because it's so sharp that it falls through them, or that they fall through it, that it cuts! and yeah it ranges 4-8 microns in diameter so it's insanely small, and it's very easy to ingest if handled improperly
>>
>>993630
why bother communicating at all?
thanks for your input, just trying to share what I know!
sorry for being stupid near you! mb!
>>
Diatomaceous Earth works wicked but if you can find the hill and dont mind killing a bit of grass boil as much water as possible and dump it on the hill. will instantly steam all those cock suckers
>>
>>993631
You're cool bro, I just checked with my pool guy and he confirms the stuff used in my particle filter isn't anything close to food grade, and I shouldn't eat or inhale it.

I guess instead of arguing with you, I should have just said "use food grade diatomaceous earth," but DESU that is the only kind I'd ever seen or heard about before. Presumably the bulk stuff in my pool filter is cheaper.
>>
find and seal where they are coming in.
>>
>>992191
>>992190
i held my breath the way there.

i was smart enough to know i probably shouldn't be breathing it in but not smart enough to know i shouldn't be doing it in the first place.

should also point out that it killed all the grass within a 5 foot radius as well
>>
>>990510
No shit, but ants do not like coffee grounds. It wont fucking kill them, but put it around a crack or an area you don't want them frequenting and they'll frequent it less.
>>
>>993636
Bullshit. I used that to keep fireants out of my RV (we got invaded) and all it did was make a huge mess I had to clean up. The ants walked right through it like it was nothing.
>>
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2013/10/04/article-2443700-1883FF1F00000578-168_634x476.jpg Problems solved.
>>
>>993631
Wikipedia says it kills bugs with exoskeletons by dehydrating them, not cutting through them.
>>
aluminum
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Xvsxarw-J0
>>
>>990510
Dude, the only way to get rid of them is to destroy their nest by poisoning it. This gets rid of the queen ant, who is responsible for laying the eggs. Any ant outside of the nest is a worker ant, almost always female.

The way to do this is easy; Hardware store. Ant gel. It comes in a plastic tub with peel off foil. The worker ants climb into it because it has a scent (it's like a McDonald's to a drunk) and thus cover themselves in the gel.

They go back to the nest, the other ants in the nest eat the gel (McDonald's again) and they die. You'll see a difference in three days.

Good luck OP.
>>
Equal part of Borax and sugar. Grind it together with a spoon. Place mixer in a cap of some sort. Beer bottle cap works nice. Add a couple drops of soda pop to a runny consistency. Place near troubled area. Works on them little piss ants and also got rid of two other types that were bigger.
>>
Bay leaves
raid the spice rack and crumble leaves where they are coming in.
>>
>>990510
petrol down the hole.
>>
>>990510
>Newfag here. Anyone have homemade recipes to deal with ants without using poison?
I had ants for a long time (many years) but really bad this year, the last couple months there were occasional swarms of them inside the bathroom and the kitchen. They would eat poisons and die, but more just kept coming.

Eventually I investigated the access space in the wall of the bathroom that MOST the ants always emerged from, and it turns out that there was a pipe dripping water into the wall. For quite some time, apparently. The water damage is present but minimal.

I've stopped the leak and already the ants have begun to decrease, tho there is still a lot of them. The water leak attracted them and when that began to dry up, I could see that they were drinking the water in the sink & tub drains and the toilet.

So,,,, you eliminate the drinkable water:
Put a blue puck thing in the toilet tank (so the toilet water is contaminated) and pour a cup of soapy water down the sink and tub drains after you use them: this pollutes the j-trap with soapy water that they can't drink.

I leave poison out--a dish with sugar + water + borax mixed, so that is killing them still. But they'll prolly keep coming as long as the insulation in the floor is wet.
>>
>>995603
I just did this, in a week there were no more ants. Best cure I've used so far for ants. Use the leftover borax in your laundry.
>>
>>990554
>>991117
Heres your fucking attention faggot now shut up.
>>
File: 1463778018211.png (1 MB, 1600x900) Image search: [Google]
1463778018211.png
1 MB, 1600x900
Fire
>>
I remember listening to NPR a while back and an ant expert was on. Someone asked him how to get rid of ants. He knew a great way to get rid of them in mass but would not say because he felt it would be bad to the ecosystem because it worked so well at annialating them. Any ant nerds on to help?

The ants I have are not looking for food but water and I place to escape the water when it rains.
>>
>>997534
That picture had me laughing so hard.
>>
>>997575
En masse, not in mass
Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.