[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
My first modular synth. A little under $10K.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 5
File: AlphaReyBetaPlex.jpg (840 KB, 1131x1192) Image search: [Google]
AlphaReyBetaPlex.jpg
840 KB, 1131x1192
My first modular synth.

A little under $10K.
>>
Congrats man
You must really of wanted it
>>
Why not just use a computer?
>>
>>990160
not OP, but it's a different workflow. Some people are more tactile learners, or like being able to fuck around with voltages and external input instantly.
>>
>>990160
Analog sounds so much better, for most things.

Also this is 100x more fun.
>>
File: baby shark are you kidding me.jpg (55 KB, 527x960) Image search: [Google]
baby shark are you kidding me.jpg
55 KB, 527x960
>>990193

>synthesizer
>Analog sounds so much better

Seriously. $10000 for that. What the fuck.
>>
>>990193
> Analog sounds so much better, for most things.
Translation: "I have an emotional attachment to analog".
>>
File: asdfasdfasdfasdfasdqwerqwerqwer.png (905 KB, 936x765) Image search: [Google]
asdfasdfasdfasdfasdqwerqwerqwer.png
905 KB, 936x765
>>990140

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/274576

this is my starting setup. I have no money to more modules. :3
I love Expert Sleepers!
>>
>>990193

Eurorack doesn't mean analog at all.
Lots of modules are digital!
>>
>>990994
> Lots of modules are digital!
The coupling between modules is usually still analog, even if they're implemented digitally.

An actual "digital modular synth" is a DAW, where the "modules" are just software.
>>
>>991068

and then? what's the point?
>>
File: DSCN4088.jpg (522 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
DSCN4088.jpg
522 KB, 1600x1200
Here's my analog synth. It does sound and video.
>>
File: DSCN4085.jpg (520 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
DSCN4085.jpg
520 KB, 1600x1200
>>991321
>>
>>991322
That looks messy
>>
>>990140
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OfEEmruiPWw
christ, people actually listen to this shit?
>>
>>990140
So what do these do? I read the wikipedia article, but it was so modular, I couldn't understand it. Is it just hipster tomfoolery like tube amps?
>>
>>991403
They make EDM which can only really enjoy when you're on drugs
>>
>>991406
Well, I do listen to drum and bass, which is pretty close, maybe I should build one of these fagboxes, no buyfagging
>>
>>991387
that's because good electronics looks messed, instead of photoshopped like >>990140
and >>990987 .It actually feels like someone trying to shill here.
>>
>>991406
>EDM
Couldnt hate more that expression. Americans werent able to handle generes or just electronic so EDM then! Plur candy etc etc fuck
>>
>>990140
I mean you actually have to be quite retarded to not see the photoshop.
>>
>>991426
>>991430

Not photoshop, it's a web service called modulargrid. It allow you to project your oun synth.
>>
>>990160
DAWs are proper sterile and soulless desu
>>
>>990140
Photoshop
>>
>>991459

Computers may not be organic, but the person making the music is.

A poor workman blames his tools and all that. I've seen Squarepusher play with racks of modules, and in tiny clubs with barely more than a laptop and a pair of monitors. Both sets were as enjoyable to a fan. Didn't matter to me that he couldn't use real analog switches. Didn't diminish the gig.

Purely personal preference, and probably not based on a fair trial.

However, if I was going to drop thousands I'd rather have analog hardware rather than software that millions pirate and use for free. That seems kinda pointless to me. Maybe I should have been born in Sweden.
>>
>>991321

Nice rack.
>>
>>991471
>A poor workman blames his tools and all that.

Nah I'm not blaming tools, was just expressing my opinion. I'd rather have an instrument than a program.
>>
>>991479

It's a more tactile interface, but I can't say the definition of instrument excludes computers if it includes analog synths that are expressly modelled on famous analog synths, and or sample packs by the original manufacturer and engineers no less.
>>
>>991482
Different anon here. I would argue that relegating a computer to task like emulating vintage synths takes away from what the computer is capable of as an instrument. Computers have gotten very powerful, and I find it a complete waste that people bother trying to get 99% of analog sound that hogs 80% of their CPU.
>>
>>990217
80% of the time true
>>
>>991490

Analog peeps nostalgia is a huge market. That's all really. Sadly by age and mindset I'm included in that market.
>>
It's not so easy.
There are several reason to still use analog, and all linked to particular characteristic and behaviors of analog electronic circuit.
Analog is not better than digital and viceversa, on the other hand they are complementary.
>>
>>991453
In that case it's retarded to pay for such shit.
>>
>>991427
EBM was way better than this shit.
>>
ok i'm arriving late but i worked with circuitry and i found that digital is more dynamic and you can do more with, also some times faster depending on what your doing. analog is better for simple things that have few components and is more accurate. only problem with analog is it cant do calculations well so mixing is still possible but only as layers of buffering.
>>
>>990204
Agree, that's quite some dollars for a lot of shitty buttons :)
>>
>>991482
> It's a more tactile interface
Professional DAWs are controlled using knobs and sliders rather than a mouse.

A big advantage of using all-digital (even if all of the modules are warts-and-all emulations of analogue components) is repeatability. With complex analog setups, it's not uncommon to find that you just can't seem to get the same sound you had yesterday.
Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.