[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So I live in military housing and want to replace the counter
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2
File: image.jpg (69 KB, 408x326) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
69 KB, 408x326
So I live in military housing and want to replace the counter in my bathroom because it's ugly as hell. Problem is, being military housing, I can't do that. Is there a way to lay something thin on top without damaging the permanent counter? I was thinking of doing a sheet of copper but I have no idea how to attach it.
>>
Copper is malleable, just bend it around the edge, the bigger problem you're going to have is corrosion
>>
>>990105
This. Copper is gonna start going green on you and it will start transferring to stuff you put on it. It will leave marks on the bottom of coffee cups and such. It will get nasty fast. Don't prep food on it unless you don't mind it tasting funny. Wont make you sick though. You'll have to coat it with something. Also, have you priced out a shoot of cooper of that size?
>>
>>990071
Why copper? It's expensive and soft and will corrode. Get a thin sheet of aluminum or even plastic, like 1/8 or 1/4 inch, that'll be cheaper and easier. Where can you even find a sheet of copper?
>>
>>990105
My biggest problem seems to be securing it to the pre existing counter. To answer to you and >>990143 about corrosion I was just going to epoxy coat it to not have to worry about it. It's just in a bathroom so it would be constantly getting beat on like in the kitchen.

>>990213
I personally love the way copper looks, and there are quite a few places that sell rolls of 3 foot wide copper online in various thicknesses.
>>
>>990227
Fair enough, if you think it looks nice, it's a better way to make your bathroom prettier without shelling out 1000's for a full remodel.

Will you epoxy it before or after putting it on the counter? If you do it afterwards, I doubt you'll ever get it off of the counter without damaging it, since the epoxy will probably get stuck between it and the counter.

Just a thought, could you just use hot glue? If you run a bead of it along the outside to the wall, and put some below the copper, I think it would definitely be strong enough to hold it in place, but not so strong it would damage it to remove. Plus it's clear. And if you mess up just use a hair dryer or an iron to remelt it and it will restick.
>>
>>990227
Have you looked into making a penny counter? They always look kinda cool and they are cheap to make.
>>
File: Untitled-1.jpg (174 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Untitled-1.jpg
174 KB, 1920x1080
>>990245
I think you missed the part where OP said it had to be temporary.

>>990227
What does your counter look like? Is it isolated on three of the four sides? Or is it butted up against multiple walls?

Either way like I said in my first comment the easiest way would be to just bend it over the edges like in picture related (which his expertly drawn, wouldn't you say, a perfect render.) Red is the copper sheet, black is the existing sink and then the blue dots are the fold lines you would need to make. The slots for the sink/taps and having it bent around multiple edges should keep it in place. If it was a little loosey goosey and you didn't want it sliding around you could just add some double sided tape or similar to stop it moving (since it doesn't have to support any loads it doesn't need to go over the top with strength) the biggest concern though is water tight sealing around the sink and taps, normally you would use some sealant/silicone but since you don't want this to be permanent I don't know what you would use I suppose you could just seal it and then dig it up when you leave.
>>
What about a stainless or galvanized steel sheet? Galvanized steel has a nice finish and both would resist corrosion, while being cheaper than copper. You can even burnish stainless with a steel brush pad on a drill and an afternoon. Don't burnish galvanized steel because that will remove the zinc layer.
>>
>>990071 remove the counter then put it back when you move? It should just be stuck on with silicone maybe some screw inside the cabinet..
Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.