[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
AC question
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3
File: IMG_20160507_153250.jpg (2 MB, 4031x3006) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160507_153250.jpg
2 MB, 4031x3006
So recently my landlord at my apartment had to replace the outdoor unit for my AC due to it being old & no good.

The unit itself looks fine but I question the installation job.

For some odd reason when they replaced the outdoor unit, they didn't bother to replace the foam insulation for the refrigerant line. A good part of it is exposed and I had the idea to buy some to get it covered up assuming it's pretty simple to do, should I bother.?

Also as to why I just haven't asked the landlord, the repair guy is pretty unreliable and often takes forever just to respond to a ticket.
Here are a couple of images.
>>
File: IMG_20160507_153126805.jpg (2 MB, 2672x1503) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160507_153126805.jpg
2 MB, 2672x1503
>>
That's some quality tradesmanship work there. Definitely need to cover that up with some foam man.
>>
>>989961
I figured as much, is there a particular kind I should buy? I'm no handyman but I can recognize crap work and know enough that condensation is not a good thing
>>
>>989890
Its not a huge deal but it is sloppy. Replacing it shouldn't cost much and will be an easy job. Just take these pictures down to the local hardware store, tell them what its for and they will hook you up.
>>
The Caps on the Valves are also missing.
2/10 would not hire again.
>>
>>989890
I did residential and commercial HVAC for several years. Horribly shitty workmanship aside simply measure the outside diameter of the line and buy pipe insulation at the hardware store. You may recoup the cost of the insulation this summer. I'd say fuck it and leave it or wrap it in a old towel because I'm not one to improve rental property of landlords who give this little of a shit about the appliances.
>>
>>990561
this is the bigger problem. that little bit of missing insulation is a minor thing. it definitely is a shitty install. you should look in the area for those brass caps and put them back on. the seals and packing on those valves will eventually leak at some point.
>>
File: 539612325.jpg (218 KB, 511x336) Image search: [Google]
539612325.jpg
218 KB, 511x336
>>989890
Just buy a small piece if you're in the mood and replace the missing area.
Why does it look like there is a muscle shell half jammed under the insulation?
>>
Not op, but i have a question.
Recently my ACs capacitor went out, making it unusable until I replace it. Should I get a repairman or just go all out and try to replace it? If so, is there any specific thing I should worry about when getting a capacitor?
>>
>>992604
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_IpydZIsOJg
>>
>>989890
you should be more concerned about him not putting the caps back on the valves and that looks like 5/8 acr so if your getting it from the plumbing dept in a hardware store you'd need 1/2 in insulation
>>
>>992604
a capacitor is like 10 bucks do it yourself and how do you know the capacitor is bad
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.