[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Coiling USB power cord
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 3
File: FDIVYGTHU5THOQC.LARGE.jpg (121 KB, 983x1024) Image search: [Google]
FDIVYGTHU5THOQC.LARGE.jpg
121 KB, 983x1024
Is this a good practice? I'd like to do this to a USB cable for my keyboard. I'm afraid it has some bad effect of doing this. Pls advice.
>>
Just do it. Pussy. At worse, you'll get a participation trophy.
>>
>>989845
Okay, kid.
>>
>>989839
>is it good practice
no

>bad effect
is bad
>>
Not good practice, but don't let that stop you.

It will probably be fine, but there's a chance you may damage the cable. If it stops working, replace the cable. If you're unwilling or unable to replace the cable in the event that it does break, don't risk breaking it by coiling it.
>>
>>989839

theres a process thay they do to make the cable be able to be coiled... go watch HOW ITS MADE there is an episode that shows exactly how to do it... but if the cable wasnt designed for that, such as the outer jacket material, coiling it could actually damage it...

google motherfucker
>>
>>989839
cables like that are obnoxious. all they do is pull back when you are trying to use things.
if you want a 2 ft cable, then you shouldnt have bought a 10 ft cable.

nothing pisses me off like my phones cable trying to rip the phone out of my hands, or my headphones wire tugging my head to the left.
>>
>>990009
Why did you buy a coiled cable if you wanted a straight cable? This is entirely your fault.
>>
File: shakypaper.gif (911 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
shakypaper.gif
911 KB, 500x500
>>989839
Well, as an electrical engineer I would say that the coil forms a tiny inductor maybe in the micro Henry scale, which even though its small it can sometimes have big impact, thats how the scale of Henries works 1 Henry inductor would be the size of a house or something. I would guess that it is for filtering purposes or something of the sort, also inductor prevent fast changes in the current which make a voltage, voltage is where information is coded, more stable, especially with analog signals, like audio signals getting to the headphones. The reason they change with rapidly oscillating current is because the current is dependant on the voltage and vice versa (V=IR). I would assume that high quality audio electronics have this filtering inductor added as a passive component. Aside from the obvious physical ease of using those kinds of appliances without feeling the torque every time you turn the phone or whatever the cable is attached too.

Although if your headphones aren't manufactured that way, it would be bad to twist them because the twisting will eventually make the soldering on the cables at either end to detach just by force and conditions of air. So, it would be bad practice yes.

tl;dr dont do it nigga.
>>
>>990040
It all was free and after using it I didn't use it anymore. Also you fail at trying to use my own arguments against me.
1/10 for being able to spot a potential counter argument.
>>
>>990051
>Although if your headphones aren't manufactured that way, it would be bad to twist them because the twisting will eventually make the soldering on the cables at either end to detach just by force and conditions of air. So, it would be bad practice yes.

I don't agree with you. if you coiled the cable while it is still plugged into shit at both ends it would probably break it, but not if its unplugged.

You can coil most cords like this if you need to, just don't make the coil to small, or tight, or you can strain the inner wires too much.

I probably wouldn't do this for my cables though , I'd just create one of the correct length.
>>
>>989839
Who gives a shit, that cable is worth $3.

Just do it, post results, and all you wasted was $3 + (hours * your hourly wage)
>>
File: cord.webm (3 MB, 854x480) Image search: [Google]
cord.webm
3 MB, 854x480
Remember to turn your coil inside out for maximum compactness.

Made this webm just for you
>>
How do you get the cable to stay coiled like that? Heat?
>>
>>990094
Assuming the cable isn't permanently attached to the keyboard.

I know soldering a new cable to the keyboard is simple for a lot of people on this board, but OP isn't necessarily prepared to do this.
>>
>>990118
Its honestly only as bad as you make it.
I have a tremors that gets worse when I focus on anything to the point of looking like a seizure. If I can solder anyone with hands can.
>>
>>990154
Not everyone is willing to learn how to solder, just like not everyone us willing to learn how to change the oil in their car.
>>
>>990175
"learning" to solder takes around 5 minutes, and perfecting your technique takes around 10
>>
>>990115
Heating up a wound cable causes it to change shape, but it will still be loose and lame.
Doing this >>990110
will cause the loop to tighten as you expect from vintage phones.
>>
>>990212
>"learning" to solder takes around 5 minutes, and perfecting your technique takes around 10

ever soldered under a binocular microscope? in a vacuum chamber?

please don't use the word "perfecting" like that.
>>
>>990256
You are too easily triggered dude, soldering for 99.99% people mean using an iron + flux + tin.

Solder under vacuum start to be really special, most electronic workers have never used it. Most of the job is done with an iron a tin wave or reflowing.

So perfecting is right, it depend on the tool used. You can perfect your method with a simple iron.
>>
>>990175
Well back to square one then.. if he isnt willing to learn fix things, then he shouldn't be willing to break things.
>>
>>990256
>ever soldered under a binocular microscope? in a vacuum chamber?
Way to take it to level 10
>>
>>990154
Essential tremor?
>>
>>990422
>Essential tremor
Maybe, I don't know. Ill be reading up on essential tremors more though.
I've had it for as long as I can remember so I never thought much of it. I am seeing a doctor so that might lead to some sort of diagnosis.

Its kinda funny(yet annoying) though because even though I'm completely calm, it looks like I'm nervous as fuck.
>>
>>990401
We don't even know if that's the case, it's just a hypothetical.
>>
>>990436
My buddy has them and it sounds exactly like what you have. We call him "shakes".
>>
>>990464
That would get old fast. Id probably stop fixing your shit for that to be honest.
>see buddys shit is broke
>fix it for him for free
>fight hands to hold iron still
>success.jpg
>give fixed stuff back
>get talked shit too
>mfw
>>
>>990436
I have them. Diagnosis or not not much can be done about it other than alcohol. Something you have to deal with although watching what you eat can help... Mine is not debilitating like it can be for some people so I just go with it. I have lived with it for so long I don't even notice anymore. It is other people that point it out.

>>990472
>>990464
Hopefully he doesn't see it as a handicap like I don't. If so I doubt he takes it as an insult
>>
>>990175
Not willing to learn how to change oil in their car.

Mostly it's literally one bolt and one screw top. It's impossible to be more ignorant.
>>
>>991837
I think you underestimate how willfully ignorant the average person is.
>>
>>989839
You can purchase coiled cables fairly cheaply.

http://www.amazon.com/Mediabridge-USB-2-0-High-Speed-Gold-Plated/dp/B008DVMRXG

Plus its gold plated!!11111!!one
>>
>>990051
>1 Henry inductor would be the size of a house or something
Come on man.
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.