[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Help With My New Pocket Rocket
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 6
File: 20160506_194740.jpg (2 MB, 3264x1836) Image search: [Google]
20160506_194740.jpg
2 MB, 3264x1836
First off, i hope this is a good board to post this on, it was either this, or /a/...
DISCLAIMER-I don’t have much experience with 2-strokes, or any small engine OR carbs lol. My last experience with a small motor was atleast 7 years ago, and i couldn’t get the carbs to run ever again afterwards lol.

Anyways… so i just got this thing today for $40 bucks. Was told by the kid that it didn’t have spark, and that i would probably need a new motor.
Long story short, i put gas in it, and it cranked up, lol.
It cranked HARD though, and this is my issue..
It won't idle low at all, it's 100% or nothing really.
I understand most every concept about them, but sure could use the help.
I'm sure it’s just an idle adjustment thing, but i couldn’t mess with it too much as it was very, very loud (i had no muffler on it in the beginning) and i didn’t want to disturb the neighbors..

The Questions!!!
1) Where would the yellowish tube go/connect to? Its obviously been cut, but i couldn’t seem to find a port that it would connect to.
2) What is the best place to start with controlling the idle?
There is a valve that the fuel line immediately connects to, but it doesn’t seem to do much of anything..
There is what i believe to be the choke, its a sliding plate that opens the carb to air, or limits it to a small hole in the center. This seems to be the obvious answer but still not sure.
3 ) How does the throttle cable work? When you twist the handle, the cable pulls inwards, but this does nothing to the idle when used. Should the pointy end be connected to the bowl of the carb? To pull it up when using the throttle?
Any, and all help would be great guys. I’m sure eventually I would manage to get it running right, but any advice would be awesome.
>>
File: 20160506_194306.jpg (996 KB, 1836x3264) Image search: [Google]
20160506_194306.jpg
996 KB, 1836x3264
the yellow tube i'm asking about
>>
File: 20160506_194529.jpg (1 MB, 3264x1836) Image search: [Google]
20160506_194529.jpg
1 MB, 3264x1836
the throttle cable not pulled
>>
File: 20160506_194539.jpg (2 MB, 3264x1836) Image search: [Google]
20160506_194539.jpg
2 MB, 3264x1836
pulled
>>
File: 20160506_194703.jpg (1 MB, 3264x1836) Image search: [Google]
20160506_194703.jpg
1 MB, 3264x1836
The bottom of the carb that the throttle "plugs" into
>>
File: 33168.gif (4 MB, 300x294) Image search: [Google]
33168.gif
4 MB, 300x294
anyone? Bumps atleast?
>>
Since that yellow tube isn't the gas line, it is probably an overflow port for when the float bowl gets stuck or you dump the bike. It is yellow due to fuel exposure and u/v.

The throttle cable pulls up on that cylinder with the needle in it to allow more air to be sucked into the carb.

The float bowl is just a float bowl, when gas gets low in the carb it opens a needle valve and refills. These can get stuck due to varnish or corrosion and cause fuel overflowing through the overflow ports.

It probably needs a good carb cleaning. Running without an exhaust on a 2-stroke is usually a bad idea, 2-stroke exhaust design is pretty interesting.

There should be two jets on the side of the carb, they look like flathead screws, sometimes they have a spring on them. There is one in your second post.

These will need to be removed to clean the carb. Until you read about how to adjust them, don't try guessing. It can end badly.

Instead, you count how many turns to screw them in fully, write it down, then after cleaning screw them in all the way again and back them out the number of turns you wrote down.

2-strokes are fucking amazing, but they really need a good carb cleaning every year.
>>
>>989602
thanks for the response.
So where should the yellow tube be connected to? Or is it like a coolant over flow valve, where if there is too much, it just releases to atmoshere to prevent pressure build up?
I was gonna pull the carb, but the bolts to get to get it off are hard to get to.
I didnt run the engine for but 5-10 seconds total, thats including putting the exhaust back on.
Why is it bad to run without it?
I cant wait ill i can ride this fucker, i feel like i got an awesome deal.
>>
Idles high because no air filter. High air makes the revs climb until the motor stalls. Go to mopedarmy and learn yourself fuel/air/exhaust ratios
>>
The yellow tube is open ended, when the carb has too much fuel it squirt the rest out of that hole. The tube is there to direct the flow somewhere besides your leg
>>
1. yellow tube is float bowl breather, it connects to nothing. do not block it.
2. on the side of the carb the diagonal screw with a spring is the idle speed adjuster.
3. throttle cable is working correctly and your question makes no sense.

remove and clean your carb. there's no alternative.
>>
Like the others said, the yellow tube is an overflow. Don't block it. And you should really clean that whole thing, so dirty.
>>
>>989604
You need the air filter on to limit air flow, and cause the streaming/vortex effect that some carbs need to draw gas out of the carb. You need to exhaust tube on because it creates back-pressure in the cylinder during your compression stroke, keeping fuel/air from flowing out the exhaust port.
>>
>>989604
Just clean your fucking carb dude. Take off whatever you need to get it.
>>
>>989580
>/a/
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.