[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Circuit bending
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 5
File: trunk_05.jpg (23 KB, 400x301) Image search: [Google]
trunk_05.jpg
23 KB, 400x301
How do i get into circuit bending and making weird synth instruments?
>>
File: Toph_in_metal_armor.png (117 KB, 333x250) Image search: [Google]
Toph_in_metal_armor.png
117 KB, 333x250
I think that would fall under metal bending.
>>
File: 03Lightning.jpg (66 KB, 786x600) Image search: [Google]
03Lightning.jpg
66 KB, 786x600
>>989352
Wouldn't it technically be fire bending?
>>
>>989352
>>989356
Maybe it's one of those special bending only special people can do, like lava bending.
Which I suspect is inheritable.
>>
>>989347
Most circuit bendsers don't know anything about electronics. Get a noisy kids toy from the 80s so it's got nice big DIP components. Replace resistors on the board with potentiometers so you have something to control and capacitors with different values to cause other changes. It's just fucking around with a circuit at random until you stumble on something you like.
>>
>>989366
Ive seen some good circuit bent cheap toy keyboards and drum machines that sound good, but theyre rare when it comes to circuit bending
>>
Some of these make some nice sound

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ScJf5MeVQsY
>>
Bumping for interest. I've been circuit bending since around 2002 or so. It's true that most benders don't know much about electronics, but some of us actually have degrees in electronics
>>
>>989347

Buy something with electronic oscilators in it, attach a speaker to some alligator clips, and randomly hook up and short out shit like a fucking retard.

"Circuit bending" is for faggots.
>>
File: 20160411_175250.jpg (3 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
20160411_175250.jpg
3 MB, 3264x2448
>>990398
circuit bending and generally messing about with toys and circuits is the most common way of getting into electronics and synths.
sure building your own synth is more impressive, but why mock the first step?

I've been an electronics tech by trade for almost 6 years while nerding on the side for even longer.
I don't get all the elitism in this hobby/trade/whatever

I get that 'this is 4chan', but this is also very common elsewhere.
just look at the comments on hackaday.

OP:
get some toy keyboard and start messing around.
also try your hand at breadboarding oscillators with a 40106's.
the 555 is overrated, but can be useful.

the 'logic noise' series on hackaday is a good start for logic based synth stuff.
cmos circuits are so cheap its hardly a part of the cost.

pic: my eurorack 4069 VCO.
it tracks 1v/octave.
>>
>>990398
Real synths are expensive, even budget novelty ones.
Why not buy a $2 thrift store toy keyboard, throw some wires and potentiometers and an audio connector in there and see what happens?
>>
I just fuck shit up. I buy toys and cheap keyboards at goodwill I cross random solder points until something fucks up or sound cool. That being said I have also soldered in quarter inch output to many things that don't need it.
>>
>>990423
> Most common
Too close to audiophiles, lots of audio people already spout bullshit about electronics, circuit bending is just breaking something so it makes a noise then pretending it's music and getting everyone to suck your dick for it. Look at circuits for guitar pedals or amps, many are garbage and filled with pointless components that do nothing because there is no real thought or theory behind it, just throw components into a box and see what happens. Once you get something shit don't bother learning how our why it works just litter the internet with it even though its faulty or dangerous or something.

There is nothing wrong with taking things apart to see how they work or to make them do something useful. A headache machine is not useful, please stop making them.
>>
>>990467
Circuit bent stuff has its place in music, Mark Mothersbaugh used circuit bent stuff in Devo.

Sure most circuit bending is just fucking around with toys but there are some circuit bent keyboards that make a nice sound.

I love the distorted sound with this one
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4tTe7chSYqM
>>
>>990481
It was bearable until the glitch nonsense.
Sounds like a dial up modem having a fight with a Sinclair spectrum tape loader
>>
>>990630
its hard to get any glitching that isnt senseless noise
>>
>>989347
How do i put synth into calculator?
>>
File: $70.png (514 KB, 1135x755) Image search: [Google]
$70.png
514 KB, 1135x755
Some of these can be made into decent synths, kind of makes me want to make one my self.

https://youtu.be/y7G_68mkrs0
>>
Not exactly a synth, but if you've got an electric guitar, google your pedal's name and there will be threads on how to modify it in certain ways. And if your pedal is cheap or disposable or whatever you can actually just replace caps/resistors with ones of different values and see what changes.
>>
>>990368
Wtf, this things awesome
>>
bumping because im going to try to make one soon and i'll post results
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.