[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
The soles of my shoes have dried out and become porous, and developed
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 2
File: IMG_6685.jpg (4 MB, 3000x2000) Image search: [Google]
IMG_6685.jpg
4 MB, 3000x2000
The soles of my shoes have dried out and become porous, and developed cavities/holes. I can't keep wearing them until I've fixed the holes. How do I do this?
I thought about just filling the holes with wood glue or something, would that work?
>>
Dude, just buy new shoes.
>>
yo just fuckin get some leather and make some goddammit moccasins if you ain't got anything besides those shoes I made a pair in like 45 I used gorilla glue to hold it together I wore it all winter
>>
>>988799
I'm not going to buy something new of anything if I can fix what I've already got.
If this doesn't work, then I'll buy new shoes.
>>
Possible options

Shoe gloo
Re-sole it
Silicone or some other rubbery filler
Insoles
New shoes

Go to goodwill and get new shoes, or soles that will fit
>>
Any two-part epoxy would work. I've used it successfully to fill bike tyres in the past.
>>
>>988788
freesole

https://www.mcnett.com/gearaid/freesole
>>
I have had good luck with sugru, but it wears quickly.

The old adage remains true - spend the money in shoes and mattresses, because if you're not in one, you're in the other
>>
>>988788
Use shoogoo. When I used to skate a lot I kept some in a bag in my truck. It'll repair it, but when you use it on the soles of your shoes the shoes become a lot more uncomfy.

Btw new shoes are literally 5-10$ at goodwill, depending on the type.
>>
>>988788
wrong kind of glue

go to garage sales if there are any in the area, I've seen shoes for $1...

if you are hard set on fixing them, I would suggest using the rubber from a broken bike tire tube and either gluing it right to the sole, or on the inside....use a proper glue meant for this type of thing; e6000 will remain flexible after drying
>>
Use the stuff to repair tires.
>>
>>988878
>I'm not going to buy something new of anything if I can fix what I've already got.
The chemicals necessary to correctly bond more rubber onto what's left of the shoes,,,, would cost you more than a new pair of shoes would.
>>
>>988878
>spending more time and money to fix something than it costs to replace
/diy/ in a nutshell
>>
>>988788
i use 5200 whenever my shoes come apart. that shit works well
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-05-06-21-14-37.png (2 MB, 1440x2560) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-05-06-21-14-37.png
2 MB, 1440x2560
>>988788
Thats hardly that bad.. Just keep wearing them. Pic related. Theyre still good!
>>
>>989576
>Theyre still good!
Not for your feet they aren't. Enjoy having foot/ankle/knee problems when you get older.
>>
I got just the recipe for you:

>rubbing/wool cloth
>200ml kerosene

Damp cloth with kerosene and rub shoe sole until clean, taking extra care with the holes. Wait about an hour so that the kerosene may react with the rubber. Put shoe in fireproof container, pour whats left of kerosene and light it up. Fire is known to melt rubber, so it should close these pesky holes you have.
>>
>>989600 >checked
trust me son. my raggy ass shoes are the least of my problems...
>>
I filled the holes with Casco hobby glue as instead of wood glue, it's more flexible, and it seems to be working just fine. We'll see in a month or so if it's a long term solution or if I'll have to buy new ones.
If anyone's interested I'll post a picture.

>>989537
>>989542
>chemicals necessary to correctly bond more rubber
Dude you are overthinking it. I'm talking about filling a hole with glue, it's not that high tech. It cost me at most 50 cent.

>>989576
Yeah I've had them like that for a while. I just don't want them to decay even more.
>>
Shoe goo. Also just go the fucking clearance section of any shoe outlet And you will find nice shoes for around 20$. Also the vans outlet has buy on get one half off and a lot of the clearance shoes are 20$
>>
>>989634
Just because it's the least of your problems doesn't mean you shouldn't eliminate the problem if it's easy to do so.

If you're literally so poor that you can't afford to pay $10 for a pair of shoes you should probably steal some.
>>
>>989576
are you squating in someone's garage?
>>
>>989821
10 dollar shoes will ruin your feet more then going barefoot. Quit projecting. Unless you got a PhD for podiatrist.

>>990010
Nope. I just dont see the need for new shoes just yet..
>>
>>990033
Do you have a PHD for podiatrist? No? Then quit 'projecting'.

Christ dude with the way you use' projecting' I'm starting to think you don't have a PHD in psychology.
>>
there is no PHD for podiatry, Dipnutz
>>
>>990039
Holy shit. Just fucking kill yourself. You dont realize how retarded you are making yourself seem now.
>>
>>990043
Right, since a Podiatrist would have an MD and specialize in Podiatry.

I'm sure OP just misread the 'diploma for podiatrist' he has on the wall of his office.
>>
>>990044
If I don't realise how retarded I look then what reason would I have to kill myself? Surely you are the one who should kill themself to escape a world in which such retardation could exist.
>>
>>990048
Youre the one saying a pair of 10 dollar shoes are any better for your fucking feet then a pair of warn shoes. Yeah let's just ignore the main arugument factor and change the subject right because you realized I was right. Fucking cancer. Just remove yourself.
>>
>>990052
Go to good will, buy a second hand pair of shoes that aren't completely fucked up like your current pair; for $10.

How the fuck do you even live when you have no problem solving ability.
>>
>>990054
Implying theres a a goodwill or second hand stores anywhere I live. I have to order all my shoes online. Or drive to my nearest somewhat city. 2 1/2 hours away. Even then those shoes suck. Waste of money. You're also autoassumed those are my only pair of footware...
>>
>>990056

The soles look dry rotted. If you want to fix them, just use a shit ton of gorilla glue or a similar all-purpose epoxy after you clean the contact surfaces well. I had to do this with some Nikes that I rarely used. The entire heel was coming off so I epoxed ir back and left it on a clamp for a day. Worked well.
>>
>>990056
He didn't assume anything, asshole, he's giving you suggestions, you know, the whole reason you made this thread. If you're just going to act like a jerk the whole time good luck finding help from anyone here.
>>
>>990099

I'm not that anon, but you can't believe that his suggestion was made in good faith if he insults the guy at the end of the post.

>post a problem on /diy/
>"go buy it in the store"

The hell has this board turned into?
>>
>>990132
Because as always, you can't DIY everything, you idiots seem to think everything is cheaper and easier to do it yourself, it isn't. Yes you can fix that shoe, you can add a new bottom to it and have it be all good, but it would cost more and be worse than just getting a new pair of shoes, believe it or not buying things is sometimes the right thing to do. You don't make your hammers from scratch every time you need to hammer in a nail.
>>
>>990135

The option of purchasing new shoes was already put forward and dismissed. It's ridiculous to keep making the same suggestion and insulting the guy when he says no again. If you don't have any ideas, move on.
>>
>>990139
Because we've already said numerous times how fixing it would cost more, and since OP seems to be a cheapskate who can't afford a $10 pair of shoes, I doubt he can afford anything to fix his shoes with. It's ridiculous to keep wanting help once already given the answer.
>>
>>990141
First of all. I want to clear up, that you guys have been talking to the guy who posted the green shoes, telling OP to just live with it, and wear them until he can't because they just fall off his feet basically.

NOT OP!!

so don't call OP a retard because you can't lurk more and read the whole thread.

Also to fix a shoe is not going to cost you more then buying a new one if you have the supplies laying around.

The fix has actually already been posted. bicycle inner tube, and rubber contact cement. /thread

yet for some reason it got covered up in shit posting. Not saying I wasn't apart of the shit posting myself but it was defending myself against the retards who were basically here going "throw your shoes out and buy a new ones."
>>
>>990150
>Also to fix a shoe is not going to cost you more then buying a new one if you have the supplies laying around.

Well of fucking course it's cheap if you already have the shit. Building a house is cheap if you already have the land and materials.
>>
>>990135
>You don't make your hammers from scratch every time you need to hammer in a nail.
You're right, I make one hammer from scratch and use it on all the nails. Get the hell out, buyfag.
>>
>>988788
The cracking will continue to spread to other parts of the sole. Always happens to old shoes. It's a chemical reaction in the sole, it spreads to a new resole also.

In the mean time, if you insist on repairing, a method which will cover the cover and fill the hole, not for very long, rubber cement. Super glue will crack since on it's on the forefoot. We use BARGE in our shop.

Buy a new shoe. Also, measure your foot again, your feet grow until the day you die. One index finger's width from the edge of the shoe to the edge of your longest toe.
>>
>>990182
>your feet grow until the day you die.
Really? I've been in size US 10.5 for about twenty years. You know, since the time my feet stopped growing. I'm gonna need a source for this thing you've said.
>>
>>990085
>The soles look dry rotted. If you want to fix them,
>>990141
>keep wanting help
>>990182
>In the mean time, if you insist on repairing,
Y'all must've missed
>>989741
>I filled the holes with Casco hobby glue as instead of wood glue, it's more flexible, and it seems to be working just fine.

/thread
>>
>>990159

That's a false analogy. What makes it so expensive is that you have to buy a large amount of adhesive or epoxy at the store compared to what you're using. The cost of the amount you're using would be a few dollars at most.
>>
>>989741
Holy piss, these fuckers can't read that it's all moot since you already attempted the fix.

Good luck, I'm sure it'll work for a while, and when it eventually breaks again 10 days or 10 years from now, you're still better off for trying to fix them than you would have been buying new ones. Eventually you will need to replace, but I don't know why people are insisting that you not even try, if you already had the materials.
>>
Just to clarify, I'm OP, and this is my second reply in this thread. >>989741 is the other one.

>>990208
>I don't know why people are insisting that you not even try
Yeah it's weird. Didn't expect that mindset, especially not on this board.

>>990182
>The cracking will continue to spread to other parts of the sole
I'm not sure about that. The soles are dry but I think the main reason the cracks developed is that I bike a lot, and the spikes on the pedals have been cutting into my shoe.
>>
>>990159
Shoe goo is literally 5$ and is literally exactly what is needed. However OP is a retard and seems to think super glue is what he needs.
>>
>>990376
They have a waterproof shoegoo now that is superior FYI :)
Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.