[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey /DIY/ I have a 8 foot tall server rack with some server gear,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1
File: L6-30P-large.jpg (16 KB, 300x308) Image search: [Google]
L6-30P-large.jpg
16 KB, 300x308
Hey /DIY/ I have a 8 foot tall server rack with some server gear, but all of my servers run off of 3 prong 220 twist lock plugs(pic related) and I just want to know
A: how feasible would it be to install it myself
B: how much would it cost to hire someone to install it?
I would like to install it myself but I would just like to know what I would need.
I also live in Texas(DFW area) if that helps on where I can get the materials.
>>
>>988418
Do you have basic wiring skills? Then not a problem. Your biggest task is going to be getting a 240V, 30A circuit from your panel to the rack location.

Check with city/county to see if you'll need a permit.
>>
>>988457
Well I have the breaker I just need to install it and the one I want to get is a 300 amp seeing as I need 8 of these 30 amp plugs.
>>
>>988484
220V 300A
just ask the maintenance guy of whatever fucking industrial factory you are in to help you out.
>>
>>988485
No I want to install it in my workshop.
>>
>>988487
Assumption1: your server rack has expensive gear in it that you don't want to replace if you fuck up
Assumption2: you don't want to burn down your house/where this is installed
Assumption3: since you're coming to DIY for wiring advice you have no fucking clue what you're doing.
Conclusion: you should get a professional to do it for you. A journeyman electrician could have you squared away in under an hour, so you're looking at ~$100 (cost in my neck of the woods)
>>
>>988487
the point was can your service actually support 300A?
if you have a 300A breaker then your whole install needs to support 300A. I'm not surprised you are having trouble sourcing supplies.

what you actually want is more like 8 x 30A breakers.

anyway your servers won't pull 30A continually, you are supposed to apply discrimination factors depending on the circumstances. that and paperwork is what you pan an electrician for. any idiot can screw some wires together.
>>
>>988484

Honestly, if that wasn't a typo. just pay someone to do it for you. If you can afford the power to supply these things, you can afford to have some wiring done. At just 25% capacity and the dirt-cheap lifeline rate I pay for power ($0.15/kWh), you're looking at nearly $1,800/month.
>>
>>988418
Hey OP how much amps is each server pulling. Also who's your internet provider, I'm also in the dfw.
>>
>>988574
Yeah I have 2 of my cables running to each server running through 1 50 amp breaker because I don't have a lot of power being taken up. But I still want to have welder and shit like lights plugged at the same time.
>>
>>988666
Well the BladeCenter H I have takes four 220 ports at about 2880 x 4 because it has four power supplys. My BladeCenter E has 4 1880 watt powersupplys takes 2 plugs to power it. Then my cisco switch that has two 4880 watt power supplys.
I live in Bedford with twc at 360 up and down.
>>
>>988579
Yeah the money is not a problem it's just when I got all of my gear I got the stuff to do it.
>>
>>988484
>300 amp

Unless you have a commercial/industrial service, you aren't hooking this up in your home.

>8 of these 30 amp plugs.

The main breaker doesn't need to be 8 * 30A. Add up the server loads to figure the total rack load. 30A receptacles are used when the upstream branch circuit protection is 30A. So, potentially any one receptacle _could_ take a 30A load and be protected. The only exception is on 20A branch circuits, where a 15A receptacle is considered to be protected by a 20A breaker.

Anyway, sounds like you need a pro to hook this up.
>>
>>988864
Well I have 8 different plugs that are used for me server like 4 plugs for the BladeCenter H and 2 for the E stuff like that and I have to think about the lights my welder and my other equipment.
I am looking for a pro to do the job because it is pretty big scale.
>>
>>988832
360kb/s ? shit no wonder time warner got bought out
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.